Could First Coast make a title run in Class 8A?

Joshua Wilson

im not sure beating down a really bad Baker County team in a spring game could help you see that, but they should always be in the running. 

First Coast is a Jacksonville area all star team, and hold the title of "Best team with the most pathetic schedule"

i think 8A North is too tough for them with Apopka, Dr Phillips, Plant, Manatee, and Fort Pierce Central lurking. 

and Apopka took them to the woodshed last year. I dont think they get there. same round, same result in my opinion for 1st choice Coast.

First Coast is a laughing stock and I hate to say that but it's true. First Coast doesn't play quality opponents in the Jacksonville area so...... when they do play in the playoffs if they don't get knocked out in the 1st or 2nd round they'll end up getting dismantled in the state game prime example 2011 against Manatee.

First Coast is a laughing stock and I hate to say that but it's true. First Coast doesn't play quality opponents in the Jacksonville area so...... when they do play in the playoffs if they don't get knocked out in the 1st or 2nd round they'll end up getting dismantled in the state game prime example 2011 against Manatee.

My evaluation was based on a team that appeared to be in mid season form offensively and defensively with a wealth of talent that very few teams in the state have... and in regards to 2011 I saw that Manatee team play numerous times that year as i am from that area and i knew going in to that game that they over matched that First Coast team badly. This team from what i saw is a team that i believe can make a deep run this year. Anything can change as the year goes on, injuries could affect any number of teams and players this year that could change the state title race, this evaluation was based on what i saw from spring, a time when teams normally look shakey, that this team looked like that of a team that has the tools to go far.

im not sure beating down a really bad Baker County team in a spring game could help you see that, but they should always be in the running. 

First Coast is a Jacksonville area all star team, and hold the title of "Best team with the most pathetic schedule"

i think 8A North is too tough for them with Apopka, Dr Phillips, Plant, Manatee, and Fort Pierce Central lurking. 

and Apopka took them to the woodshed last year. I dont think they get there. same round, same result in my opinion for 1st choice Coast.

While yes 8a has a lot of tough teams, i don't see any team that has a similar level of talent as they do, i know Apopka and Plant will be tough, i don't know much about Dr. Phillips at the moment, and both Manatee and FPC lost a decent amount of talent this past year. In particular Manatee lost all 5 starters on the OL, their workhorse RB, their 4 year starter at DT who is now at FSU, their coach has numerous health problems and his future is uncertain and their QB was arrested recently and there current QB due to the circumstances hasn't played a snap at QB in HS so Manatee has a lot of question marks. This evaluation of First Coast having a chance to make a deep run is predicated on their spring performance that was flawless overall and looked like a team that had everything figured out and executed flawlessly than that of how teams normally look in spring. Will be an interesting year for sure.

First Coast will not be battle tested.

If you look back on the last decade, the best season in history was a 40-0 loss to a 2 loss team. Manatee was in a dog fight with FPC that year, escaping alive 13-10

First Coast is that team you never bet to win it all because they never have, and the safe bet would be to go with the field, until 1 year they prove you wrong.

Same thing with Apopka until 2 years ago.

@Nolebull813 So who do you think is the best or at leats a shoe in to be in the state game coming from up North.

Too tough to predict the North. There are so many good teams it's tough to decide. Injuries play a big part. People are saying Apopka and Manatee will be down, but I don't think so.

I will go with my homer pick and say Plant makes it out.

South Dade got a bunch of transfers, and Miramar is always at the top, so I would like to see a rematch of Plant/Miramar

@NoleBull813 Good choice and I do see Miramar being there even though South Dade just went. Now South Dade in my opinion had a special lucky 2013 season and some of their games I felt they should of lost but I just don't see them doing it again this upcoming season.

@NoleBull813 Good choice and I do see Miramar being there even though South Dade just went. Now South Dade in my opinion had a special lucky 2013 season and some of their games I felt they should of lost but I just don't see them doing it again this upcoming season.

Which game you think they should of lost? I mean they surprised everybody but the more you watch them, they had a hell of a squad! I really wanted to see them against Miramar....

Too tough to predict the North. There are so many good teams it's tough to decide. Injuries play a big part. People are saying Apopka and Manatee will be down, but I don't think so.

I will go with my homer pick and say Plant makes it out.

South Dade got a bunch of transfers, and Miramar is always at the top, so I would like to see a rematch of Plant/Miramar

Re: Manatee

I am not sure how much you follow Manatee but being from that area their is a lot you may or may not know. First HC Joe Kinnan has been having health issues as of recent times and did not coach the spring game and his return is uncertain so that would be a huge loss for Manatee for the upcoming season. Also Manatee's starting QB last season was arrested during the offseason so his return looks doubtful at absolute best. His replacement for the game was a quarterback who has never played a snap at QB in his HS career and at 5'8 being maybe a bit generous there will have some struggles. The way Manatee will make it out is if either Kinnan/Meyer or both return for the fall and if RB Johnnie Lang can carry this team if Meyer is not available behind a line replacing 5 starters from last year.

As for the Manatee team that won, i saw that team play a few games and while yes they were a 2 loss team they were losses to Don Bosco Prep who was the mythical national champion that year by 6 points and vs. Our Lady of Good Counsel who was another top ten nationally ranked team by a touchdown. Overall they were 8-2 in the regular season yes, but 8-0 vs florida teams.

Its unfair to First Coast to use that game as a reference point for future teams success as First Coast has gotten better since as I saw that game vs Manatee and the spring game of a team that has developed over the past few years. Regardless of who was coming from the other side in that game I believe that Manatee still would have won that game, would it have been closer, maybe, but Manatee would still win.

It will require a lot more work for First Coast but from the spring game i like their chances to make a run next fall