What Could 7A Seedings/Region Finals Look Like Next Year?

OldSchoolLion

Using a combo of historical performance and power averages from this past season, this will give you an idea of what the 6A playoffs could look like next year.  This is not a prediction.  I'll leave that to you experts.

Region 1

#1 Wekiva 43.90

#2 Navarre 43.10

#3 Fletcher 39.00

#4 Lyman 32.90

#5 Niceville 40.60

#6 Lincoln 39.40

#7 Edgewater 39.00

#8 Crestview 38.30

Region Final - Wekiva vs Edgewater

Region 2

#1 Lakeland 43.10

#2 Armwood 42.10

#3 Viera 41.60

#4 George Jenkins 35.70

#5 Plant City 41.00

#6 Bloomingdale 40.90

#7 Tampa Bay Tech 40.00

#8 Wiregrass Ranch 38.50

Region 2 Final - Lakeland vs Armwood

Region 3

#1 Dwyer 43.60

#2 Venice 43.30

#3 Riverdale 41.50

#4 Mitchell 40.00

#5 Manatee 38.50

#6 Palm Beach Lakes 38.50

#7 Sickles 38.50

#8 Lehigh 38.10

Region Final - Venice vs Dwyer

Region 4

#1 St Thomas Aquinas 43.90

#2 Atlantic 43.00

#3 Miramar 38.60

#4 North Miami 37.00

#5 McArthur 40.10

#6 Hialeah 39.40

#7 Plantation 39.20

#8 Fort Lauderdale 38.80

Region Final-St Thomas Aquinas vs Atlantic

Region 3

#1 Dwyer 43.60

#2 Venice 43.30

#3 Riverdale 41.50

#4 Mitchell 40.00

#5 Manatee 38.50

#7 Sickles 38.50

#8 Lehigh 38.10

So you have 1st round games where a teams might have to travel aprox 171 miles (that's 3 hours and 26 minutes)? Seeing those Region 2 teams that at worst are roughly 1 hour or so away from Manatee..........  makes me look again at the reclassification to see if there is some way to see a greater good, because Manatee potentially making a 171 mile trip for a 1st round game isn't doing it for me.........based on what you've suggested in your purely hypothetical situation.

19 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

Region 3

#1 Dwyer 43.60

#2 Venice 43.30

#3 Riverdale 41.50

#4 Mitchell 40.00

#5 Manatee 38.50

#7 Sickles 38.50

#8 Lehigh 38.10

So you have 1st round games where a teams might have to travel aprox 171 miles (that's 3 hours and 26 minutes)? Seeing those Region 2 teams that at worst are roughly 1 hour or so away from Manatee..........  makes me look again at the reclassification to see if there is some way to see a greater good, because Manatee potentially making a 171 mile trip for a 1st round game isn't doing it for me.........based on what you've suggested in your purely hypothetical situation.

Ya'll got it easy LOL  7A Region 1 used to be Tallahassee to Orlando.  Now it's Pensacola to Orlando!  Look at the hypothetical first round games in that region...Crestview vs Wekiva(370 mi one way), Edgewater vs Navarre(450 mi one way), Niceville vs Lyman(420 mi one way), Fletcher vs Lincoln(185 mi one way).  And if Niceville beat Lyman, they could be back in Orlando the next week to face Wekiva.  

8 classes + improved parity amongst classes + playoff seeding system = some long drives in the first round.

There's no free lunch.  It's give and take.    

58 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

Region 3

#1 Dwyer 43.60

#2 Venice 43.30

#3 Riverdale 41.50

#4 Mitchell 40.00

#5 Manatee 38.50

#7 Sickles 38.50

#8 Lehigh 38.10

Assume you are referring to a game that would involve a team from Sarasota/Bradenton vs one of the Palm Beach teams.  In 7A, there are 26 teams in SE FL...a little too many for a single region unless one is willing to have a tiny Region 3.  As it is right now, there are 21 teams in Region 4 and 19 in Region 3. 

Take Dwyer out of Region 3, and Manatee and Venice are the only traditionally strong programs left.  Add Dywer to District 13/Region 4 and you've got Atlantic and Dwyer in the same district, which some might consider undesirable.  Plus, that makes Region 4 a lot tougher, and I could see some folks from a certain private high school in Fort Lauderdale crying foul since that region already got a lot tougher.  

All that said, I think it's clear what they did.  It's like a rubik's cube.   

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Ya'll got it easy LOL  7A Region 1 used to be Tallahassee to Orlando.  Now it's Pensacola to Orlando!  Look at the hypothetical first round games in that region...Crestview vs Wekiva(370 mi one way), Edgewater vs Navarre(450 mi one way), Niceville vs Lyman(420 mi one way), Fletcher vs Lincoln(185 mi one way).  And if Niceville beat Lyman, they could be back in Orlando the next week to face Wekiva.  

8 classes + improved parity amongst classes + playoff seeding system = some long drives in the first round.

There's no free lunch.  It's give and take.    

I'm admittedly focusing on Manatee, but the plain simple truth is, that geographically some areas of the state are less densely populated than other areas of the state, 171 mile trips for playoff games should only occur in the later rounds of the playoffs. Achieving equal number of teams per region is a piss poor excuse for potentially making Hillsborough, Manatee, and Sarasota county teams to have to travel over 170 miles for a 1st round game! Not when you have other 7A teams in Pinellas and Hillsborough counties

27 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

I'm admittedly focusing on Manatee, but the plain simple truth is, that geographically some areas of the state are less densely populated than other areas of the state, 171 mile trips for playoff games should only occur in the later rounds of the playoffs. Achieving equal number of teams per region is a piss poor excuse for potentially making Hillsborough, Manatee, and Sarasota county teams to have to travel over 170 miles for a 1st round game! Not when you have other 7A teams in Pinellas and Hillsborough counties

Complaining about travel and being in a tough district got us to where we are now

26 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

I'm admittedly focusing on Manatee, but the plain simple truth is, that geographically some areas of the state are less densely populated than other areas of the state, 171 mile trips for playoff games should only occur in the later rounds of the playoffs. Achieving equal number of teams per region is a piss poor excuse for potentially making Hillsborough, Manatee, and Sarasota county teams to have to travel over 170 miles for a 1st round game!

Using a seeding system, one has to consider worst case scenarios.  So, if one wanted to ensure a first round game of say, less than 100 miles one way, a region would have to be limited in size appropriately.  And if we limit region size, we will end up with certain regions that are exceptionally weak.   

When one considers how big FL is and how many schools we have, limiting region size would be impossible with our current system.  In order to limit first round travel, we would have to go back to the old way, in which adjacent district opponents played each other in the first round.  Even with that system, we always had problems with the Panhandle, even in the dinosaur days.  So, what's more important, having a seeding system and better competition or limiting first round travel?  That's really the question.  

California              6,640                          5,995,854                  941                     38                                  9,551
Texas              4,852                         4,929,986                  1,029                      3                                  8,543
Florida             46,237                         2,681,751                   67                      9                                  4,218
Illinois             2,388                         2,025,371                   865                     17                                  3,927
Georgia             9,440                         1,699,185                   180                      0                                  2,320

7 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Using a seeding system, one has to consider worst case scenarios.  So, if one wanted to ensure a first round game of say, less than 100 miles one way, a region would have to be limited in size appropriately.  And if we limit region size, we will end up with certain regions that are exceptionally weak.   

When one considers how big FL is and how many schools we have, limiting region size would be impossible with our current system.  In order to limit first round travel, we would have to go back to the old way, in which adjacent district opponents played each other in the first round.  Even with that system, we always had problems with the Panhandle, even in the dinosaur days.  So, what's more important, having a seeding system and better competition or limiting first round travel?  That's really the question.  

California              6,640                          5,995,854                  941                     38                                  9,551
Texas              4,852                         4,929,986                  1,029                      3                                  8,543
Florida             46,237                         2,681,751                   67                      9                                  4,218
Illinois             2,388                         2,025,371                   865                     17                                  3,927
Georgia             9,440                         1,699,185                   180                      0                                  2,320

Travel has been a issue on every system but if some schools can't handle a little travel then maybe that's there problem

The job of fhsaa isn't to cater to teams having the easy route so they can then brag about a championship

The job of fhsaa is to ensure a fair and competitive balanced system which I think the seeding can do and I want to see the results of the new alignment before judging whether the system works or not

I think the issues we saw last 2 years had more to do with unbalanced classes then the system being used and honestly any system would have looked bad in some cases

36 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

Please do explain your statement, as it pertains specifically to the area of the state (Hillsborough, Manatee, and Sarasota counties) I was addressing?

Teams complained about  population size which got us more classes.  Teams complained about travel which got us smaller districts.  Then teams complained about runner ups getting in from small districts over good teams from large districts.  That got us the playoff system.  now you have lots of classes and a seeding system therefore you might have to travel a long way round 1 because everyone is spread out.  

22 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Travel has been a issue on every system but if some schools can't handle a little travel then maybe that's there problem

The job of fhsaa isn't to cater to teams having the easy route so they can then brag about a championship

The job of fhsaa is to ensure a fair and competitive balanced system which I think the seeding can do and I want to see the results of the new alignment before judging whether the system works or not

I think the issues we saw last 2 years had more to do with unbalanced classes then the system being used and honestly any system would have looked bad in some cases

I disagree point system still sucks

49 minutes ago, badbird said:

I disagree point system still sucks

I think it's a wash between the two systems.  At the end of the day, the best teams are advancing and winning titles, regardless of system.  Only difference is what bubble teams get in.  That and change of playoff venue.  I actually preferred rotating venues to give certain areas a chance of hosting playoff games that might not otherwise. 

Oh yeah, and we get the novelty of seeing winless teams and dramatic coin flips now. :rolleyes: 

10 minutes ago, badbird said:

Also settle championships on the field.  If there is a tie play a shootout

Honestly the biggest mistake fhsaa made with the gadsen county and Jackson situation was that they went to the coin flip before overall record

Overall record should have come before a coin flip

13 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Honestly the biggest mistake fhsaa made with the gadsen county and Jackson situation was that they went to the coin flip before overall record

Overall record should have come before a coin flip

I know you aren’t fans of BT but how about leaving them out as a district champ.  

9 minutes ago, badbird said:

I know you aren’t fans of BT but how about leaving them out as a district champ.  

Personal and professional opinion are 2 different things

For example I try my best to leave bias out when analysis or rankings but it does appear from time to time

I actually wanted Bartram trail to get final playoff spot so we could end their season but Edgewater screwed it up against hagerty

Bartram had misfortune of being in a tough region and having a loss to oakleaf who finished as a cat 3 team and dragged their average down

9 hours ago, FL_HS_football said:

Region 3

#1 Dwyer 43.60

#2 Venice 43.30

#3 Riverdale 41.50

#4 Mitchell 40.00

#5 Manatee 38.50

#7 Sickles 38.50

#8 Lehigh 38.10

Maybe you already noticed, but Region 3 in  3A, 4A, 6A and 7A all have similar scenarios, with Tampa area teams potentially having to travel to the West Palm Beach area or vice versa in the first round.  At least they were trying to be somewhat consistent in the approach.  

10 hours ago, badbird said:

Teams complained about  population size which got us more classes.  Teams complained about travel which got us smaller districts.  Then teams complained about runner ups getting in from small districts over good teams from large districts.  That got us the playoff system.  now you have lots of classes and a seeding system therefore you might have to travel a long way round 1 because everyone is spread out.  

I've never really dove into this to be completely honest in the past, other than feeling like we had too many classifications. The travel thing just stuck out to me this time, primarily because there are ample 7A schools in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pinellas, Polk, and Sarasota counties to avoid this potential scenario in as far as travel is concerned. Wondering if the whole district concept has out lived its usefulness and if what needs to be done is something along the lines of what Georgia does with regions only?