pahokee football

john taylor

7 minutes ago, Mashburns said:

They seem to change coaches on the muck every 3 seasons but always bring back the same assistants and if that happens again I see the problems continuing at both schools trying to get back to their dominant ways. 

That is somewhat true, but not completely. But, the major part of it that it is difficult to get outside Coaches due to the traveling part. Even though there are alot of Teachers that travel to the muck, getting them to stay after school to Coach is difficult

Just now, MuckCityChamp said:

There is also a misconception about Coaches getting fired on the Muck. Many walk away instead of actually getting fired. The only Coach that was fired at Pahokee was Alphonso Smith and that was not football related. At Glades Central, 1 ignorant Principal fired 2 Coaches, just because he could. 

Agree there 

Just now, Mashburns said:

So what will be different with this new staff? I also hear rumblings of Glade Central changing coaching staffs as well?

Glades Central has released a good portion of there Assistants already. As for Pahokee, Coach Walkes is still at the Head, but there are rumors that he will be released. The Assistants will depend on the next Coach.

The thing is, there are alot of Pahokee and Glades Central graduates that are having success at other schools. So homegrown isn't all that bad. The misses has been not having the right combination of guys. In Hester/s years, he just didn't have guys around him that could help him develop players on and off the field. Hester (during his 1st tenure) and Blackmon both had to deal with ignorant Administration. Casko and his assistants just wasn't a right fit. 

At Pahokee, Alphonso Smith had things going back in the right direction. But, he was dismissed. Walkes' staff just didn't mesh well on philosophy and discipline with the team. 

2 minutes ago, MuckCityChamp said:

The thing is, there are alot of Pahokee and Glades Central graduates that are having success at other schools. So homegrown isn't all that bad. The misses has been not having the right combination of guys. In Hester/s years, he just didn't have guys around him that could help him develop players on and off the field. Hester (during his 1st tenure) and Blackmon both had to deal with ignorant Administration. Casko and his assistants just wasn't a right fit. 

At Pahokee, Alphonso Smith had things going back in the right direction. But, he was dismissed. Walkes' staff just didn't mesh well on philosophy and discipline with the team. 

So what will it take to get those graduates to come back and right the ship at both programs? Is that direction that the two programs want to go? Not sure but I assuming both staffs currently are Glades guys meaning they played their ball there and are from those communities? I could be wrong about Pahokee Head guy

4 minutes ago, Mashburns said:

So what will it take to get those graduates to come back and right the ship at both programs? Is that direction that the two programs want to go? Not sure but I assuming both staffs currently are Glades guys meaning they played their ball there and are from those communities? I could be wrong about Pahokee Head guy

I know a few that have mentioned wanting to comeback. At GC, its pretty much up to Hester on who he wants to bring. As of my knowledge, his DC, DB, OL, and RB coaches are out. Nobody really knows what he has in mind. Some think he will leave with his Assistants and because his Son is a Senior.  As for PK, if they make the change at Head Coach, the next guy will get to gather his group. If no change is made, It will be up to Walkes to redo his staff. 

Looks like Hester had GC heading on the right track. Seems like they were a couple pieces away from being a dominant team again.

Pahokee however was a different story. I could be wrong, but I think Pahokee needs a staff that's not from the area. The city is so small  that, political hanky panky seems to run rampant. Outside coaches are usually more neutral in their decision making, and don't give to community pressure.

The coach from Wake Forest (Smith?) did appear to be doing a good job, but he had other issues.

Hopefully all the teams can get back, including Clewiston. I agree with @Mashburns... when the Glades teams are strong, it makes the entire county competitive.

The Muck has become a hard place to coach for a number of reasons:

1) small town bs politics. I had a buddy who applied for some jobs down there but he didn’t have the “right” resume. The dude coached at the D1 level and at a state championship winning program! But he wasn’t from around the there

2) lack of resources. Not only is the area poor but you aren’t around a lot of money like in the urban areas

3) tough administrations. It’s state championship or bust in 2 years, you can’t take the time to install your culture or anything...you gotta win immediately.

11 hours ago, Jags904 said:

1) small town bs politics. I had a buddy who applied for some jobs down there but he didn’t have the “right” resume. The dude coached at the D1 level and at a state championship winning program! But he wasn’t from around the there

2) lack of resources. Not only is the area poor but you aren’t around a lot of money like in the urban areas

3) tough administrations. It’s state championship or bust in 2 years, you can’t take the time to install your culture or anything...you gotta win immediately.

All 3 are valid points and I think its just very tough to come in there as a outside coach and also get a staff in there that is not from the area.

12 hours ago, Jags904 said:

These are the comments that give people false perceptions about the Muck area. Maybe your friend just didn’t interview well. 

18 hours ago, Original1 said:

Looks like Hester had GC heading on the right track. Seems like they were a couple pieces away from being a dominant team again.

Pahokee however was a different story. I could be wrong, but I think Pahokee needs a staff that's not from the area. The city is so small  that, political hanky panky seems to run rampant. Outside coaches are usually more neutral in their decision making, and don't give to community pressure.

The coach from Wake Forest (Smith?) did appear to be doing a good job, but he had other issues.

Hopefully all the teams can get back, including Clewiston. I agree with @Mashburns... when the Glades teams are strong, it makes the entire county competitive.

Clewiston has rehired Pete Walker as HC. If they can get some of there talent back from Moore Haven and Glades Central, they may compete. 

26 minutes ago, MuckCityChamp said:

These are the comments that give people false perceptions about the Muck area. Maybe your friend just didn’t interview well. 

He has a valid point Glades Central last few hires been Muck guess

1. Hester (twice)

2. Willie Snead

3. Casko

4. R. Blackman 

Pahokee

1. Walkes

2. A. Smith

3. B. Thompson 

So do outside coaches have a chance at these jobs? 

50 minutes ago, Mashburns said:

He has a valid point Glades Central last few hires been Muck guess

1. Hester (twice)

2. Willie Snead

3. Casko

4. R. Blackman 

Pahokee

1. Walkes

2. A. Smith

3. B. Thompson 

So do outside coaches have a chance at these jobs? 

I don’t know everyone that applied during those times. But, the outsiders that I do know that interviewed were only coming to build a resume. Everyone named above was long term inspired.