The 5 Worst Teams in the State

OldSchoolLion

I am not doing this to embarrass these teams.  Rather, I want to demonstrate that we have some programs that are really struggling.  Am sorry for the title, but could not think of anything that would make anyone feel any better about this.

In some cases, these programs have been struggling for many years and for a new coach to turn them into a winning program, or even an average one, will be quite the task.  Interestingly, 4 of the teams played in 7A this past season.  2 are from Hillsborough County and 2 are from Miami-Dade County.  

1. Hialeah Westland(7A) is 1-49 over the past 5 seasons.  In those 50 games, they scored a total of 73 points and gave up an average of 42 points per game.

2. Tampa Leto(7A) is 1-47 over the past 5 seasons and has lost 41 straight regular season games played on the field.  In those 48 games, Leto was outscored by its opponents by an average of 45-5.

3. Dunedin(5A) is 2-47 over the past 5 seasons and has lost 43 straight regular season games.  In those 49 games, Dunedin was outscored by its opponents by an average of 41-7.  

4. Miami Mourning(7A) is 4-42 over the past 5 seasons.  2 of those wins came against Westland Hialeah.  In those 46 games, Mourning was outscored by its opponents by an average of 38-5. 

5.(tie) Strawberry Crest(7A) is 4-46 over the past 5 seasons.  In those 50 games, Strawberry Crest was outscored by its opponents by an average of 33-7.

5.(tie) Oakland Park Northeast(6A) is 4-44 over the past 5 seasons   In those 48 games, Northeast was outscored by its opponents by an average of 35-9.

To keep with your theme of bad teams

What happened to Warner Christian?  they were one of the top small schools in the state about 8-10 years ago.  Just checked out maxpreps and they are the third worst ranked school in the state ahead of Florida deaf and blind and Avant Garde that canceled the season after like week 3.

7 minutes ago, badbird said:

What happened to Warner Christian?  they were one of the top small schools in the state about 8-10 years ago.  Just checked out maxpreps and they are the third worst ranked school in the state ahead of Florida deaf and blind and Avant Garde that canceled the season after like week 3.

There are a few of these smaller Christian schools in 2A whose records have really bounced around over the past 5-10 years.  Indian Rocks Christian is another example.  Don't know the first thing about them.  Would be interested to understand what is going on at these schools to cause their performance to fluctuate like that.

On 12/22/2018 at 4:12 PM, badbird said:

Long time Head coach Andy Price's last season was 2011. He went to Titusville for one year and has been at Spruce Creek ever since. He does the best with what he has. Athletic tuition assistance is not as plentiful as in years past. The schools birth was in the early court ordered integration of Florida public schools. That fueled their enrollment in the beginning years as much as the spiritual enlightenment. Never been a big fan, although I did see all three of their state championship final losses.

On 12/22/2018 at 4:22 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

There are a few of these smaller Christian schools in 2A whose records have really bounced around over the past 5-10 years.  Indian Rocks Christian is another example.  Don't know the first thing about them.  Would be interested to understand what is going on at these schools to cause their performance to fluctuate like that.

IRC had a long standing coach that retired or went elsewhere they year after their state title runner up.

They were also able to attract some good players at that time but that has changed with the turnover in staff and athletic department. 

16 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Long time Head coach Andy Price's last season was 2011. He went to Titusville for one year and has been at Spruce Creek ever since. He does the best with what he has. Athletic tuition assistance is not as plentiful as in years past. The schools birth was in the early court ordered integration of Florida public schools. That fueled their enrollment in the beginning years as much as the spiritual enlightenment. Never been a big fan, although I did see all three of their state championship final losses.

Warner Christian continued their deep playoff run after Andy Price left with Steve Allen as Head Coach. Although the Eagles did not make the state title game under Coach Allen, after he left the downhill slide started. Warner Christian became an undisciplined team who outathleted teams under Coach Allen's successor, and after that coach left, the bottom fell out. The Administration and de-emphasizing football might have also played a factor.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2018 at 4:23 AM, peezy28 said:

IRC had a long standing coach that retired or went elsewhere they year after their state title runner up.

They were also able to attract some good players at that time but that has changed with the turnover in staff and athletic department. 

We need a Leto v Dunedin rivalry...call it The Battle for the Safety Harbor Bridge.  Someone is guaranteed at least one win each year.

4 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

We need a Leto v Dunedin rivalry...call it The Battle for the Safety Harbor Bridge.  Someone is guaranteed at least one win each year.

I have been a supporter of that for a long time now... Its can be the Annual Falcon Bowl... The Red and White Game the we just don't want to go 0-10 again bowl.  Same Colors... Same Mascot... Same Record.

33 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Okay. Never realized that. Armwood and Plant have been dominant for so long ...

Armwood started their dominance in 03.. before that not so much.. Were a regular 1st round playoff exit team.

Plant of course came soon after (Plant guys help me out was it 05?) but before Robert W got there the school was not very good for the most part.

3 minutes ago, peezy28 said:

Armwood started their dominance in 03.. before that not so much.. Were a regular 1st round playoff exit team.

Plant of course came soon after (Plant guys help me out was it 05?) but before Robert W got there the school was not very good for the most part.

Yeah, I remember Chamberlin and Wharton having good teams, as well as Jefferson and Hillsborough. Plant's dominance began with their first good QB in a long time who was a piece of work in his own way. 

On 1/4/2019 at 1:07 PM, peezy28 said:

Peezy,  I believe Plant was 1-9 in 2003. Robert Weiner became the coach in 2004 and the team went 3-7. In 2005, Plant went 9-3. And in 2006, in Coach Weiner's third year as head coach, Plant went 15-0 and won the State Championship (with Marve as the QB).  I'd have to do some digging to give you the team's record for 2002 and earlier.  

On 1/4/2019 at 9:55 AM, peezy28 said:

I have been a supporter of that for a long time now... Its can be the Annual Falcon Bowl... The Red and White Game the we just don't want to go 0-10 again bowl.  Same Colors... Same Mascot... Same Record.

Leto and Dunedin are playing this upcoming fall in the Kickoff Classic! They are calling it the "Falcon Bowl: Battle for the Causeway Cup". I think it'll be good for both programs to play each other and be competitive. 

2 hours ago, Mr. 727 said:

Leto and Dunedin are playing this upcoming fall in the Kickoff Classic! They are calling it the "Falcon Bowl: Battle for the Causeway Cup". I think it'll be good for both programs to play each other and be competitive. 

Man I thought this was a joke... its a good idea.  Both teams should play each other every year... Winner will have a little morale boost.