Broward County-The Epicenter of Public School Mediocrity?

OldSchoolLion

Broward County has 29 public schools who play football.  20 of them could be considered historically weak programs.  And, in many cases, I'm talking really weak.  Broward County has arguably the highest proportion of historically weak public school programs of any of the more highly populated counties in the state.  Next to each school name is the class in which they played this past season,  year the school opened, combined record over the past 5 seasons(unless noted otherwise), and playoff history, if any. 

Only 5 public schools in Broward County have ever won a state title: Hollywood Hills(1973), Dillard(1986, 1989), Ely(2002), Miramar(2009) and Flanagan(2015).  Nearly all of the schools below have been open 35+ years, yet only 3 have managed to win over 5 playoff games.  Over the past 5 years, Piper and McArthur have bounced up and down like a yoyo.  Douglas and Western appear to be on a steady rise.  Only time will tell if these programs can sustain success

Cooper City(7A-1971)   19-32; 2-8 in playoffs

Coral Glades(Ind-2004)   13-36; no playoff experience

Coral Springs(8A-1975)   20-30; 0-3 in playoffs

Douglas(8A-1990)   29-21; 5-7 in playoffs

Everglades(8A-2003)   15-36; 2-5 in playoffs

Flanagan(8A-1996)   2-18 over past 2 years; 8-2 in playoffs

Fort Lauderdale(7A-1899)   23-28; 2-10 in playoffs 

Hallandale(5A-1973)   12-18 over past 3 seasons; 6-11 in playoffs

Hollywood Hills(7A-1967) 14-34; 9-14 in playoffs; state title in 1973 

McArthur(7A-1961) 28-25; 5-13 in playoffs

Nova(7A-1960)  24-28; 2-6 in playoffs

Oakland Park Northeast(6A-1961) 4-44; 4-6 in playoffs 

Piper(8A-1971)   30-25; 2-9 in playoffs

Pompano Beach(Ind-1928)   19-32; 1-5 in playoffs

South Broward(7A-1952)   15-34; 5-4 in playoffs

South Plantation(8A-1971) 11-40; 5-10 in playoffs

Stranahan(5A-1953)   16-33; 5-10 in playoffs

Taravella(8A-1980)   19-31; 2-7 in playoffs

Western(8A-1981)   34-22; 3-8 in playoffs

Note:  Who are the fair-to-very good programs in Broward County?  Blanche Ely, Boyd Anderson, Cypress Bay, Deerfield Beach, Dillard, and Miramar.  Monarch and West Broward are a bit too new to judge yet. 

Why is Broward County the epicenter of public school football program mediocrity?  ...some possible reasons

-Broward County is home to several state/nationally-ranked private school programs 

-There appears to be a higher-than-average amount of big-name transferring taking place each year here.  I don't have the facts to back this up, though.

-Broward County is a coaching merry-go-round.  At the start of this past season..

84%(31/37) of all head coaches in Broward County have been at their present school 3 seasons or less.

41%(15/37) of all head coaches in Broward County have been at their present school 1 season or less.   

24% (9/37) of all head coaches in Broward County are new.

For a county with as many schools as Broward, this was kind of shocking to me. It makes sense that such a large number of schools would be historically mediocre though. And, that number is all relative. I live in Osceola County (I know...when you think FL powerhouses, you think Osceola County). But, it’s a similar story here. Other than Kissimmee Osceola, this county has been bad at football. Harmony had a deep playoff run about a decade or so ago. Other than that, you have St. Cloud (mediocre) and Gateway (mediocre) as the other schools that have been around a while. Then juggernauts like Poinciana, Liberty, Celebration, etc.

I’d be interested to see if other big counties have the same issue as Broward. I would imagine so. You brought up and interesting topic though. I wonder which county is the most mediocre haha

5 hours ago, Coach said:

For a county with as many schools as Broward, this was kind of shocking to me. It makes sense that such a large number of schools would be historically mediocre though. And, that number is all relative. I live in Osceola County (I know...when you think FL powerhouses, you think Osceola County). But, it’s a similar story here. Other than Kissimmee Osceola, this county has been bad at football. Harmony had a deep playoff run about a decade or so ago. Other than that, you have St. Cloud (mediocre) and Gateway (mediocre) as the other schools that have been around a while. Then juggernauts like Poinciana, Liberty, Celebration, etc.

I’d be interested to see if other big counties have the same issue as Broward. I would imagine so. You brought up and interesting topic though. I wonder which county is the most mediocre haha

...for perspective, Miami-Dade County has had 11 different public school win state titles(Booker T Washington, Carol City, Central, Coral Gables, Edison, Hialeah Miami-Lakes, Killian, Norland, Northwestern, South Dade, Southridge), and most of those teams are still considered "good" to very good.

Hillsborough County has 27 public schools, and 20 of them could be considered historically weak(versus 20/29 public school teams in Broward) .  The 7 stronger ones are bolded below.  9/27 Hillsborough public schools have won more than 5 playoff games versus 9/29 teams in Broward. 3 Hillsborough public schools have won state title within the past 25 years(Armwood, Jefferson and Plant) and 3 public schools in Broward have done the same(Ely, Flanagan, and Miramar).

In terms of current state title contenders, Hillsborough gets the nod over Broward.  Deerfield is Broward's only viable contender, whereas Hillsborough has Armwood, Plant and possibly Jefferson. 

Hillsborough County-27 public schools

Alonso   1-6 in playoffs

Armwood

Blake   3-1 in playoffs

Bloomingdale   2-4 in playoffs

Brandon   5-10 in playoffs

Chamberlain   

Durant   5-6 in playoffs

East Bay   1-7 in playoffs

Freedom   0-2 in playoffs

Gaither   8-12 in playoffs

Hillsborough

Jefferson

King   2-6 in playoffs

Lennard

Leto   1-4 in playoffs

Middleton   2-2 in playoffs

Newsome   3-4 in playoffs

Plant City   4-11 in playoffs

Plant

Riverview  2-3 in playoffs

Robinson

Sickles   3-7 in playoffs

Spoto   1-3 in playoffs

Steinbrenner

Strawberry Crest

Tampa Bay Tech 10-12 in playoffs

Wharton   6-7 in playoffs

...a little insight into my logic for this post.  Pinellas, Pasco and Lee Counties have relatively large populations and have had a lot of mediocre/weak teams over the years, but have never been strongholds of hs football.  In that sense, I've never had very high expectations of them.

Broward, Hillsborough and Duval do have lots of talent and history, and all three of those county's public schools, as a whole, have been a disappointment when it comes to bringing home hardware, especially Broward and Hillsborough.  When I used the term "mediocrity" in this thread, my thinking was "performing below expectations." 

In the case of Broward and Duval, I think private schools have had an impact in terms of pulling talent away from the publics, especially over the past 30 years.  Hillsborough...I am not completely sure what the reason is there.  When Hillsborough exploded in population years back, I thought they would gradually rise in prominence to a point of challenging south Florida, but it never happened.  Hillsborough is the posted child for struggling "newer" schools whose programs never seemed to get traction.

I am cautiously optimistic that the Orlando area will gain power in the future.  There are some factors now, ie job availability, that I think are in Orlando's favor.  I see signs that I did not see in Hillsborough, ie some newer schools that are finding some success relatively early in their existence.   

Duval County ...6 of 17 public schools have won more than 10 playoff games.  6 of 27 public schools in Hillsborough and 5 of 29 public schools in Broward County have done the same.   

Duval County-17 public schools

Atlantic Coast(2010 opened)

Baldwin(1948)   0-4 in playoffs

Englewood(1956)   1-4 in playoffs

First Coast(1990)   11-12 in playoffs

Fletcher(1937)   14-21 in playoffs

Jackson(1928)   9-13 in playoffs

Lee(1928)   17-25 in playoffs

Mandarin(1990)   8-6 in playoffs

Parker(1955)   2-9 in playoffs

Paxon(1954)-magnet school

Raines(1965)   31-31 in playoffs

Ribault(1957)   4-12 in playoffs

Sandalwood(1971)   12-14 in playoffs

Stanton(1868)-magnet school

Westside(1958)   1-6 in playoffs  (including record as Forrest High)

White(1971)   12-17 in playoffs

Wolfson(1963)   5-7 in playoffs

6 hours ago, Coach said:

Orange County ...6 of 20 public schools have won more than 10 playoff games.  6 of 17 public schools in Duval, 6 of 27 public schools in Hillsborough, and 5 of 29 public schools in Broward County have done the same.

Please keep in mind that orange County has a number of "newer" schools, which skew their numbers for the worse in terms of overall playoff experience..    

Orange County Public Schools-20 public schools

Apopka(1931 opened)   39-23 in playoffs

Boone(1952)   12-15 in playoffs

Colonial(1958)  0-2 in playoffs

Cypress Creek(1992)   0-3 in playoffs

Dr Phillips(1987)   26-17 in playoffs

East River(2009)

Edgewater(1952)   31-22 in playoffs

Evans(1955)  15-14 in playoffs

Freedom(2003)   0-2 in playoffs

Jones(1895)   8-16 in playoffs

Lake Nona(2009)   0-4 in playoffs

Oak Ridge(1959)   4-8 in playoffs

Ocoee(2005 reopened)   0-1 in playoffs

Olympia(2001)   1-5 in playoffs

Timber Creek(2001)   3-9 in playoffs

University(1990)  1-6 playoffs

Wekiva(2007)   5-4 in playoffs

West Orange(1975)   4-8 in playoffs

Windermere(2017)

Winter Park(1927)   22-22 in playoffs

# of different public schools in each county that have won a state title

Miami-Dade-11 (Booker T Washington, Carol City Central, Coral Gables, Edison, Hialeah Miami-Lakes, Killian, Norland, Northwestern, South Dade, Southridge)

Escambia County-8 (Ernest Ward(1A/1979),  Escambia(3A/1984, 4A/1985), Northview(1A/2012), Pensacola(3A/2009), Pine Forest (5A/1987 &1988, 4A/2000) Tate(4A/1980), Washington (6A/1994), Woodham(4A/1982 & 1984-school closed in 2007))

Brevard-6 (Cocoa, Titusville, Merritt Island, Rockledge, Melbourne and Palm Bay) 

Broward-5 (Dillard, Ely, Miramar, Flanagan, Hollywood Hills) 

Palm Beach-5 (Dwyer, PB Gardens, Glades Central, Pahokee, Carver-closed) 

Polk-5 (Lakeland Bartow  Frostproof  Haines City, Fort Meade) 

Hillsborough-4 (Blake, Armwood, Plant, Jefferson)

Orange-3 (Evans(co), Apopka, Dr Phillips)

Duval-1 (Raines)

Duval County 6 of 17(35%) public schools have won more than 10 playoff games

Orange County 6 of 20(30%) public schools have won more than 10 playoff games

Palm Beach County 5 of 22(23%) public schools have won more than 10 playoff games

Hillsborough County 6 of 27(22%) public schools have won more than 10 playoff games

Broward County 5 of 29(17%) public schools have won more than 10 playoff games

Palm Beach County-22 public schools

Atlantic 25-20

Boca Raton 9-14

Boynton Beach 0-4

Dwyer 34-14

Forest Hill 1-2

Glades Central 68-27

JI Leonard 1-6

Jupiter 2-11

Lake Worth 2-7

Olympic Heights 2-9

Pahokee 52-20

Palm Beach Central 3-4

Palm Beach Gardens 17-20

Palm Beach Lakes 9-12

Park Vista 3-10

Royal Palm Beach 5-8

Santaluces 5-12

Seminole Ridge 5-6

Spanish River 0-3

Suncoast 6-11

Wellington 3-10

West Boca Raton 2-5

disparity in playoff performance between private and public schools in Broward County.  

Lost in first round-Coconut Creek, Coral Springs Charter, Dillard, McArthur, Miramar, Piper, West Broward

Lost in second round-Fort Lauderdale, Plantation, Western

Lost in region final-American Heritage Plantation

Lost in state semifinal-Deerfield Beach, University School

State runner-up-St Thomas Aquinas

State champion-Chaminade-Madonna, Cardinal Gibbons

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the day I realized things were changing.   It was 2010 or 11 and University, who hadn't really played any of the big broward publics but was on the rise, beat the living shit out one of the bigger more talented broward publics (think it was Boyd Anderson) in their kick off classic.  Boyd had been decent and it was a shocker to me.   From that point on things really haven't looked back.   

In the early 2000s the only Broward Private* school with the balls to play the big publics was STA (as they'd done since the 80s).    The Dillards, Ely's, DFBs, Plantations etc would have had their way with a team like AHP back then and been made fun of for even playing them!

Crazy how the times change. 

5 hours ago, 954gator said:

In the early 2000s the only Broward Public school with the balls to play the big publics was STA (as they'd done since the 80s).    The Dillards, Ely's, DFBs, Plantations etc would have had their way with a team like AHP back then and been made fun of for even playing them!

Crazy how the times change. 

The folks from Chaminade-Madonna would likely beg to differ.  Coach Guandolo would take on anyone...and did.  He was really a trendsetter when it came to building "monster, " in-state schedules.  

5 hours ago, 954gator said:

I remember the day I realized things were changing.   It was 2010 or 11 and University, who hadn't really played any of the big broward publics but was on the rise, beat the living shit out one of the bigger more talented broward publics (think it was Boyd Anderson) in their kick off classic.  Boyd had been decent and it was a shocker to me.   From that point on things really haven't looked back.   

I would go back about 10 years earlier.  Between 1980-2000, STA was the big show amongst the privates.  I remember Coach Guandolo taking over at Chaminade-Madonna around 2000, and knew what he was capable of from his days at Southridge and Pace. CM scheduled a game at Venice not too long after Venice won that gaudy state title game against Dwyer.  I remember wondering what the heck he was doing coming up to central FL to play such a big school.  Well, we all found out.  They utterly dominated Venice.  And then did the same at Vero Beach, Mainland, and Sarasota Riverview....not to mention two wins at Manatee.  For a 2A school to be traveling across the state and beating schools from the big classes...that was quite rare at that time.  

On 12/29/2018 at 9:04 AM, OldSchoolLion said:

...for perspective, Miami-Dade County has had 11 different public school win state titles(Booker T Washington, Carol City, Central, Coral Gables, Edison, Hialeah Miami-Lakes, Killian, Norland, Northwestern, South Dade, Southridge), and most of those teams are still considered "good" to very good.

Hillsborough County has 27 public schools, and 20 of them could be considered historically weak(versus 20/29 public school teams in Broward) .  The 7 stronger ones are bolded below.  9/27 Hillsborough public schools have won more than 5 playoff games versus 9/29 teams in Broward. 3 Hillsborough public schools have won state title within the past 25 years(Armwood, Jefferson and Plant) and 3 public schools in Broward have done the same(Ely, Flanagan, and Miramar).

In terms of current state title contenders, Hillsborough gets the nod over Broward.  Deerfield is Broward's only viable contender, whereas Hillsborough has Armwood, Plant and possibly Jefferson. 

Hillsborough County-27 public schools

Alonso   1-6 in playoffs

Armwood

Blake   3-1 in playoffs

Bloomingdale   2-4 in playoffs

Brandon   5-10 in playoffs

Chamberlain   

Durant   5-6 in playoffs

East Bay   1-7 in playoffs

Freedom   0-2 in playoffs

Gaither   8-12 in playoffs

Hillsborough

Jefferson

King   2-6 in playoffs

Lennard

Leto   1-4 in playoffs

Middleton   2-2 in playoffs

Newsome   3-4 in playoffs

Plant City   4-11 in playoffs

Plant

Riverview  2-3 in playoffs

Robinson

Sickles   3-7 in playoffs

Spoto   1-3 in playoffs

Steinbrenner

Strawberry Crest

Tampa Bay Tech 10-12 in playoffs

Wharton   6-7 in playoffs

I don't consider Gaither, Durant, Wharton, or Newsome weak programs. They have ups and downs and go through normal cycles. this is more a sign that they play with who they have and don't get a lot of transfers. Wharton has made a State final. Gaither is in the playoffs every few years, and same with Durant and Newsome, who had several playoff teams that were not too bad in the 2000s. Outside of Whaton's finals appearance, these teams generally don't produce state championship caliber teams, but they do produce decent high school football teams.

also, if you were making this post two or three years ago, you put Chamberlain in the weaker group. They made a State final once as well, but they had a lot of mediocre years. It's just a sign that a lot of these teams, as I stated above, don't seek or get a ton of transfers. They are normal high school football teams, but not terrible programs.

One final note, Blake also has a state championship. Granted, it was 50 years ago, but it counts for something.I would say that Hillsborough programs are above average when compared to a lot of the other bigger counties. They haven't had a ton of teams win state, but we have consistent winners.

In the biggest underachiever of the bunch is the Hillsborough terriers. They are always in the playoffs, but never get too far. They did lose a fairly close state finals game to I believe Carol City about 20 years ago. But Hillsborough, with the talent they've had in their hallways, should have won a State title or two by now.

8 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I would go back about 10 years earlier.  Between 1980-2000, STA was the big show amongst the privates.  I remember Coach Guandolo taking over at Chaminade-Madonna around 2000, and knew what he was capable of from his days at Southridge and Pace. CM scheduled a game at Venice not too long after Venice won that gaudy state title game against Dwyer.  I remember wondering what the heck he was doing coming up to central FL to play such a big school.  Well, we all found out.  They utterly dominated Venice.  And then did the same at Vero Beach, Mainland, and Sarasota Riverview....not to mention two wins at Manatee.  For a 2A school to be traveling across the state and beating schools from the big classes...that was quite rare at that time.  

Yeah I forgot about Chaminade's run in the early 2000s, but i didn't see it as a turning point.   When University smoked a big public it threw me off, then AHP blew up right after and the dominoes started falling hard.   AHP DR also rose up around the same time as well over in Palm Beach.   Soon after Chaminade started rebuilding and Cardinal Gibbons followed suit.   

Still, Chaminade didn't play the Dillards, DFBs, Ely at that time either and was one of the big reasons there was always some doubt.   Sure, Chaminade could have played with them, but if my memory serves me right they didn't.    Fun fact that Same Venice team that beat Dwyer 77-14 just edged out a 24-20 win over Ely in the Semi's the game prior.   

2002 Venice, although making the state semi's, was 8-5.   Losing to Chaminade, Mosely, Charlotte, Naples, and Edgewater.   

Still, I'll give you that I forgot about Chaminade, but University (to me at least) was an even smaller fish at the time blowing out lowly prep schools etc so to me that was a big WTF moment for me.      

8 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Yeah I forgot about Chaminade's run in the early 2000s, but i didn't see it as a turning point.   When University smoked a big public it threw me off, then AHP blew up right after and the dominoes started falling hard.   AHP DR also rose up around the same time as well over in Palm Beach.   Soon after Chaminade started rebuilding and Cardinal Gibbons followed suit.   

Still, Chaminade didn't play the Dillards, DFBs, Ely at that time either and was one of the big reasons there was always some doubt.   Sure, Chaminade could have played with them, but if my memory serves me right they didn't.    Fun fact that Same Venice team that beat Dwyer 77-14 just edged out a 24-20 win over Ely in the Semi's the game prior.   

2002 Venice, although making the state semi's, was 8-5.   Losing to Chaminade, Mosely, Charlotte, Naples, and Edgewater.   

Still, I'll give you that I forgot about Chaminade, but University (to me at least) was an even smaller fish at the time blowing out lowly prep schools etc so to me that was a big WTF moment for me.      

The turning point actually had less to do with wins/losses and more to do with the players that Chaminade had during that time frame.  Chaminade was a doormat in the 80's and 90's, and all of a sudden they had D1 talent and multiple All-State players.  The demographics of the team changed drastically compared to past years. That raised a lot of eyebrows.  I remember the days when Chaminade dressed out 1 Black player and the public schools went berserk.  It seems like after that run by Chaminade, private schools really kicked into gear.  Except for Aquinas, the private schools of Broward did not make a lot of noise prior to 2000.

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

Chaminade's regular season schedules in the early/mid  2000's made Aquinas' look pedestrian. During that time, STA played only 3 schools outside Broward County during the regular season...Port St Lucie, Ft Pierce Central, and Forest Hill each in 2001 and 2002.  All of those games except one was decided by 50+ points.

Chaminade-Madonna played, to name a few...

2006 beat Booker T Washington, beat N Miami Beach(10-3), lost at ST Edward(OH), lost at Naples(11-2), won at Manatee(9-5)

2005 lost at Tyler Lee(TX), beat Booker T Washington, beat N Miami Beach, won at Naples

2004 won @ Vero Beach, won @ Edison, beat Mainland(11-3)

2003 won @5A state champion Mainland, lost to a nasty Miami Edison team that knocked St Thomas out of the playoffs

Guandolo had the guts to schedule Miami-Dade during the regular season before the St Thomas teams of the modern era.  For that, I think they deserve some credit.

4 hours ago, 181pl said:

I don't consider Gaither, Durant, Wharton, or Newsome weak programs. They have ups and downs and go through normal cycles. this is more a sign that they play with who they have and don't get a lot of transfers. Wharton has made a State final. Gaither is in the playoffs every few years, and same with Durant and Newsome, who had several playoff teams that were not too bad in the 2000s. Outside of Whaton's finals appearance, these teams generally don't produce state championship caliber teams, but they do produce decent high school football teams.

I understand.  It would have been better for me to say weak/average rather than just "weak."  They are not bad programs.  I do think they are historically(key word) rather mediocre when compared to teams from around the state.

Below are individual team playoff records versus playoff opponents from outside Hillsborough.  Total record of these teams is 31-80(I intentionally excluded the obviously strong programs like Plant, Armwood, etc)  A number of those 31 wins came against not-so-great Pinellas schools.  Some Hillsborough teams might do well when playing in-county teams during a season, but many of these teams have historically struggled when playing teams from outside the county.

Because of Hillsborough's regular season scheduling and their relatively limited exposure to opponents outside west central Florida in the playoffs, it's a bit difficult to judge some Hillsborough teams. I lived there for quite a few years and to be very honest, was disappointed at the level of play of a number of the teams, especially considering the success Hillsborough had in the very early days.

Blake   0-1

Bloomingdale   2-3

Brandon   2-6

Chamberlain  5-16 

Durant  1-3

East Bay   0-3

Freedom   0-2 

Gaither   4-6

King   1-5

Lennard   0-0

Leto   1-4

Middleton   2-0

Newsome   0-2

Plant City  2-6 

Riverview  1-3 

Sickles   0-3

Spoto   1-2

Steinbrenner   0-1

Strawberry Crest   0-0

Tampa Bay Tech  6-8

Wharton   3-5

5 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Chaminade's regular season schedules in the early/mid  2000's made Aquinas' look pedestrian. During that time, STA played only 3 schools outside Broward County during the regular season...Port St Lucie, Ft Pierce Central, and Forest Hill each in 2001 and 2002.  All of those games except one was decided by 50+ points.

Chaminade-Madonna played, to name a few...

2006 beat Booker T Washington, beat N Miami Beach(10-3), lost at ST Edward(OH), lost at Naples(11-2), won at Manatee(9-5)

2005 lost at Tyler Lee(TX), beat Booker T Washington, beat N Miami Beach, won at Naples

2004 won @ Vero Beach, won @ Edison, beat Mainland(11-3)

2003 won @5A state champion Mainland, lost to a nasty Miami Edison team that knocked St Thomas out of the playoffs

Guandolo had the guts to schedule Miami-Dade during the regular season before the St Thomas teams of the modern era.  For that, I think they deserve some credit.

But back then Broward Publics were pretty damn good is my point.   You take 2002 Chaminade over 2002 Ely?

I'll play for a second.  My thought is you are confusing going out and playing outside of Broward as being more difficult.   My opinion is that Broward was A LOT harder to get through back then.  

I don't have Chaminade's 2002 or 2003 schedules at hand but I do have STA's.   

STA 2003

Plantation  3-21  Loss

Ely  41-20  Win

Dillard 10-0 Win

DFB  10-41  Loss

Those teams beat each other up and were as tough as any.   

In 2000 Broward Publics swept Miami in 6A.  Dillard lost to Palm bay in the 6A final .    Basically all the top Broward and Dade publics were pit together in one bracket.   They were all nasty, but it was never harder to make it far in the playoffs for dade/broward publics than it was back then in 6A.   Those are the teams STA would play.  Now they suck, but back then....easy schedule my ass lol.  

Then add 5A Ely being on par with Venice that same year and you get a more clear picture.   Ely, DFB, Dillard, Boyd, Plantation those were some serious tasks back then.    

Check out the Royal rumbles that were the 6A south playoffs in the early 2000s.   Broward was deep IMO.

2000 6A https://www.fhsaa.org/sites/default/files/orig_uploads/sports/football/archives/2000-01/brak6.htm  (Broward Clean sweep over Dade)   (Ely to 5A semis 24-20 loss to Venice)

2001 6A   https://www.fhsaa.org/sites/default/files/orig_uploads/sports/football/archives/2001-02/brak6.htm     MNW year of the bull (MNW vs Dillard 20-14 in semis)   (Ely 3 rounds deep 5A)

2002  6A    https://www.fhsaa.org/sites/default/files/orig_uploads/sports/football/archives/2002-03/brak6.htm  Dade had good year, but very competetive.  Dillard loses to eventual state champ Norland 35-28 in second round.  Plantation beats Central, but loses to Carol City 17-7.  Shoot Miami Norland eventual state champs only beat Western in the first round 27-17!  

(ELY 5A state champ 2002)

I'll do this for a couple more years.  Eventually that crazy loaded 6A south breaks up a bit and spreads out (needed lol).   I'll post a couple years further when I get back.  Gotta run, but as you can see these teams that might be chumps now definitely were NOT back then!