Broward County-The Epicenter of Public School Mediocrity?

OldSchoolLion

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

But back then Broward Publics were pretty damn good is my point.   You take 2002 Chaminade over 2002 Ely?

I'll play for a second.  My thought is you are confusing going out and playing outside of Broward as being more difficult.   My opinion is that Broward was A LOT harder to get through back then.  

I don't have Chaminade's 2002 or 2003 schedules at hand but I do have STA's.   

STA 2003

Plantation  3-21  Loss

Ely  41-20  Win

Dillard 10-0 Win

DFB  10-41  Loss

Those teams beat each other up and were as tough as any.   

In 2000 Broward Publics swept Miami in 6A.  Dillard lost to Palm bay in the 6A final .    Basically all the top Broward and Dade publics were pit together in one bracket.   They were all nasty, but it was never harder to make it far in the playoffs for dade/broward publics than it was back then in 6A.   Those are the teams STA would play.  Now they suck, but back then....easy schedule my ass lol.  

Then add 5A Ely being on par with Venice that same year and you get a more clear picture.   Ely, DFB, Dillard, Boyd, Plantation those were some serious tasks back then.    

Check out the Royal rumbles that were the 6A south playoffs in the early 2000s.   Broward was deep IMO.

2000 6A https://www.fhsaa.org/sites/default/files/orig_uploads/sports/football/archives/2000-01/brak6.htm  (Broward Clean sweep over Dade)   (Ely to 5A semis 24-20 loss to Venice)

2001 6A   https://www.fhsaa.org/sites/default/files/orig_uploads/sports/football/archives/2001-02/brak6.htm     MNW year of the bull (MNW vs Dillard 20-14 in semis)   (Ely 3 rounds deep 5A)

2002  6A    https://www.fhsaa.org/sites/default/files/orig_uploads/sports/football/archives/2002-03/brak6.htm  Dade had good year, but very competetive.  Dillard loses to eventual state champ Norland 35-28 in second round.  Plantation beats Central, but loses to Carol City 17-7.  Shoot Miami Norland eventual state champs only beat Western in the first round 27-17!  

(ELY 5A state champ 2002)

I'll do this for a couple more years.  Eventually that crazy loaded 6A south breaks up a bit and spreads out (needed lol).   I'll post a couple years further when I get back.  Gotta run, but as you can see these teams that might be chumps now definitely were NOT back then!

Thanks for the response.  Completely agree that ...

• Broward was a different scene back then and much tougher
  • Going outside Broward then did not necessarily mean it would be a tougher game. 
  • Chaminade would have had difficulty with Ely, Dillard and Deerfield in certain years.  

Ely, Dillard and Deerfield were not powerhouses every year between 2000-2005.  Deerfield was strong 2003-2005, but not terribly special 2000-2002(their deep run in 01 was the result of an easy playoff path and then Apopka waxed them).  Dillard's program dropped off big-time in 03 and did not recover.  Ely was pretty tough througout, but not every team was like their 02 team.

I never said St Thomas had an easy schedule back then...just a pedestrian one compared to Chaminade's.  It wasn't simply the teams Chaminade played, but the fact that most of their games against much larger schools were on the road.  

If we want to question the fact that Chaminade did not play some of the Broward powers back then, fair enough.  But I think that also forces us to question how successful teams like St Thomas and the Broward powers of the day would have been had they routinely met the true Miami-Dade powers of that day.  Actually, IMO, the late 80's were the best times for the Broward teams versus Dade.   

27 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Thanks for the response.  Completely agree that ...

• Broward was a different scene back then and much tougher
  • Going outside Broward then did not necessarily mean it would be a tougher game. 
  • Chaminade would have had difficulty with Ely, Dillard and Deerfield in certain years.  

Ely, Dillard and Deerfield were not powerhouses every year between 2000-2005.  Deerfield was strong 2003-2005, but not terribly special 2000-2002(their deep run in 01 was the result of an easy playoff path and then Apopka waxed them).  Dillard's program dropped off big-time in 03 and did not recover.  Ely was pretty tough througout, but not every team was like their 02 team.

I never said St Thomas had an easy schedule back then...just a pedestrian one compared to Chaminade's.  It wasn't simply the teams Chaminade played, but the fact that most of their games against much larger schools were on the road.  

If we want to question the fact that Chaminade did not play some of the Broward powers back then, fair enough.  But I think that also forces us to question how successful teams like St Thomas and the Broward powers of the day would have been had they routinely met the true Miami-Dade powers of that day.  Actually, IMO, the late 80's were the best times for the Broward teams versus Dade.   

Yeah my point was STA's schedule didn't look fancy.  Nothing new, no big travel etc, but the reality was those 6A Broward publics plus Ely were very strong back then.   STA, Dillard, Ely, Plantation, DFB were all in the same league, but Ely and STA had much easier paths not being in 6A.  Believe me STA would have had plenty more 2nd and 3rd round exits if they were in 6A back then, and I'm not sure they win one just because it was such a grind.  Shit was rough in 6A back then!