Congrats to Brian Maurer of West Port

OldSchoolLion

Brian played all 4 of his high school years at West Port High in Ocala, a team that went 11-28 over that time frame, including a 2-8 season this past one.  He is one of a rare breed of FL hs qb's to land a Power 5 scholarship.  Tennessee thought him good enough to come courting.  So much for needing to play for a big-name program to land a big-time scholarship.  If you are that good, they will find you.  This man showed a lot of character sticking with his team members rather than bailing out to boost his stats.   

32 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Brian played all 4 of his high school years at West Port High in Ocala, a team that went 11-28 over that time frame, including a 2-8 season this past one.  He is one of a rare breed of FL hs qb's to land a Power 5 scholarship.  Tennessee thought him good enough to come courting.  So much for needing to play for a big-name program to land a big-time scholarship.  If you are that good, they will find you.  This man showed a lot of character sticking with his team members rather than bailing out to boost his stats.   

You are right. He could have gone to Vanguard or North Marion, or maybe one of the Gainesville schools. Kudos to him!

On 12/24/2018 at 12:52 PM, DarterBlue2 said:

You are right. He could have gone to Vanguard or North Marion, or maybe one of the Gainesville schools. Kudos to him!

• Total Passing Yards
  • Passing TDs
  • Passing Yards/Game
  • Pass Completions
  • Pass Attempts
  • Interceptions

Also a .654 completion percentage.

And, you wonder how West Port could have gone 2-8.

9 minutes ago, Proseteye said:
  • Total Passing Yards
  • Passing TDs
  • Passing Yards/Game
  • Pass Completions
  • Pass Attempts
  • Interceptions

Also a .654 completion percentage.

And, you wonder how West Port could have gone 2-8.

But in several games, they scored a lot of points. If the defense wasn't Swiss cheese, they may have had a winning record. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• This will be an interesting story to follow.  Venice has no proven RB headed in to spring which will be a first for a long time.  They have produced several Dairy Farmers player of the years in that position.  They also will have a massive offensive line with 2 three year starters who return as well as some stud young kids.  They will probably average around 6'4 295 on the line which is huge for Venice standards.  I just wonder if this will change before the start of the season.  I still fell like someone will show up.
    • Are you still talking to me??  Thought I was pretty clear for you not to waste your breath on this subject matter, but somehow you are missing the point.  Teacher unions have limited power in FL because the candidates they overwhelming support keep losing.  If they had won, the teacher union vote had a lot to do with it and would be wielding that power.  Osceola county which isn't a GOP stronghold during the past two national elections had the journalism students for the OHS monthly newsletter (Kowboy Jake) interview the faculty as to their political leanings.  A sample of about 30 teachers that were interviewed were voting as follows:  25 D vs 5 R.  Enough said.  
    • You missed the point of my union post. Teacher unions in strong union states have power. Florida unions have zero. They cant strike and the school board can implement a contract without the unions approval. Florida unions are not preventing any raise in Florida. The state has attacked a straw man here. 
    • As a general rule, I am not a big supporter of unions in the public sector in particular.  They certainly had a place in the private sector during the industrialization of our nation, but today not so much.  I have no first-hand experience with unions representing our local law enforcement or firefighters but my interaction with the teachers union over several years in that profession is the basis of my opinion.  
  • Popular Contributors