The Private School Advantage Is Dying..or Has Already Died

OldSchoolLion

• 56 of the top 200 FL seniors attended a private school this year.  Only 16 of them transferred into their school over the past 2 seasons, and some of those transfers came from outside the state/region, so they were likely not driven by football alone.  Excluding those OOS transfers, St Thomas Aquinas(4), Chaminade-Madonna(4) and Columbus(3) were the only private schools who had one of these players transfer in.  Over 95% of private schools in the state did not benefit from such a transfer.  As I've stated before, we do not have a private school problem in Florida, per se.  We have an issue with a handful of private school powerhouses, and even some of those are growing in-house talent rather than relying on transfers.  For example, University School has 4 of the Top 200 seniors, and all of them are "home grown."
  • Over the past 2 seasons, more of the Top 200 Fl seniors transferred from private schools to public schools than from public schools to private schools.
  • The vast majority (about 80%) of big-name transfers today involve kids transferring to public schools...not private schools.  There is no longer a disproportionate amount of kids transferring to private schools.   

FYI...I am not a private school homer.  I have simply become more aware of the hypocrisy of criticizing private schools when I see public schools doing as much or more recruiting nowadays.  Sure St Thomas gets a lot of transfers, but no doubt at least some of those kids want to come there because of their outstanding reputation...and no prompting is needed by STA to get them to come.  The same can be said for some of the other private schools.       

17 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

FYI...I am not a private school homer.  I have simply become more aware of the hypocrisy of criticizing private schools when I see public schools doing as much or more recruiting nowadays.  Sure St Thomas gets a lot of transfers, but no doubt at least some of those kids want to come there because of their outstanding reputation...and no prompting is needed by STA to get them to come.  The same can be said for some of the other private schools.       

I've said it before that the real disadvantage in talent is in urban vs rural not public vs private

Something you and others may already know by looking at a map is that basically every long term successful private is in a urban area (Duval, Hillsborough, Orange, Palm Beach, Broward, Dade, ect.)

So these privates are already in very talent rich areas but in all honesty the publics in these metro areas in most cases can pull significant talent as well

A area like Duval county for example has allowed very loose player movement even prior to the new rules

The only major disadvantage you may see sometimrs is privates (at least successful ones) may have more stability in coaching staffs then a lot of the publics but some publics have also maintained stability so it's probably a program by program basis

Under the current rules if people are really worried about things like competitive balance then perhaps the better solution to consider is instead of trying to separate privates and publics maybe it would be worth looking into the idea of putting schools into classes based on rural and urban designation

12 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I've said it before that the real disadvantage in talent is in urban vs rural not public vs private

Something you and others may already know by looking at a map is that basically every long term successful private is in a urban area (Duval, Hillsborough, Orange, Palm Beach, Broward, Dade, ect.)

So these privates are already in very talent rich areas but in all honesty the publics in these metro areas in most cases can pull significant talent as well

A area like Duval county for example has allowed very loose player movement even prior to the new rules

The only major disadvantage you may see sometimrs is privates (at least successful ones) may have more stability in coaching staffs then a lot of the publics but some publics have also maintained stability so it's probably a program by program basis

Under the current rules if people are really worried about things like competitive balance then perhaps the better solution to consider is instead of trying to separate privates and publics maybe it would be worth looking into the idea of putting schools into classes based on rural and urban designation

Might be difficult to gain consensus on definition of "urban" and "rural, " and I don't know anyone else who has succeeded.  But what you suggest is more in tune with realities of talent distribution today.  Look how few rural teams make the national rankings nowadays.  It hits one in the face.

12 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Might be difficult to gain consensus on definition of "urban" and "rural, " and I don't know anyone else who has succeeded.  But what you suggest is more in tune with realities of talent distribution today.  Look how few rural teams make the national rankings nowadays.  It hits one in the face.

It would be difficult which is probably why no one has pushed the idea to the fhsaa because trying to define a separation of class by urban and rural would become very tough to do 

But while I won't admit that privates have no advantages over publics I do think a lot of people use privates as a scapegoat or they use the new rules as a scapegoat while ignoring the real divide which is the root cause

But as you pointed out the real divide between rural and urban is easy to see by simply looking at a national poll

Basically every nationally elite have one thing in common and it's being in a very talent rich metro area, the days of rural schools being able to hold own year by year with urban super teams seems to be dying out

Yeah we will see a special year every now and then but it comes and goes while some these urban super powers like mater Dei, St Thomas Aquinas,Bishop Gorman,ect. can reload year after year and it usually takes a very special team to even come close to beating them

So what is your take on why class 5A has been won by a private school for the last 6 years?   With Northwestern moving into 5A and several private schools moving out of 5A, do you expect different for 2019?   Here to now, class 6A was void of private schools.  Do you expect the private schools that have moved into 6A to make much of a difference for 2019?

15 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

So what is your take on why class 5A has been won by a private school for the last 6 years?   With Northwestern moving into 5A and several private schools moving out of 5A, do you expect different for 2019?   Here to now, class 6A was void of private schools.  Do you expect the private schools that have moved into 6A to make much of a difference for 2019?

Just to clarify, when I speak of "private school advantage" in this thread, am talking specifically of an apples-to-apples recruiting edge, ie Tampa prviate school vs Tampa public school.  

...in 5A title game in recent years...private school in metro area football hotbed, ie Card. Gibbons, AHP vs public school in not-so-large metro areas is not normally a good match. ..maybe more of a urban vs rural advantage than a private vs public advantage.  Moving forward, Northwestern should give Jesuit and AHP a battle for South title game slot, unless they have a really off year.

I think Belen Jesuit is the only private moving into 6A, and it should be tough sledding for them with Southridge and Naples in the region.

On 12/27/2018 at 11:03 AM, OldSchoolLion said:

My team Trinity Catholic was continually blamed for taking away some of the public school players in Marion County. Well, in the first place they totally discounted that possibly some of those players wanted a better education at a private school. In the 2nd place those same public schools actually took away some of the Celtic's players every year. IMO, private schools do not have much of an advantage over public schools when it comes to "recruitment". Most public school students don't have the funds and in many cases the academic capability to transfer to a private school anyway. Many of the really good football players in public schools could never make it in a top notch private school. So, the privates, inadvertently,  never have the opportunity to have these really good players on their football team. My thought is that the private schools are better in sports because they are more disciplined, have better coaches, better facilities, and have families that support the players and the school much better. Just my take.