How Many of Florida's Top 95 Juniors Transferred over the Past 2 Seasons?

OldSchoolLion

Below are 95 of the top juniors in Florida and their transfer status, if any, over the past 2 years.  3 of the 27 transfers involved kids who moved from outside the state/region.  Of the remaining 24 transfers:   
  • 14/24 transfers took place in Miami-Dade or Broward Counties.
  • 17/24 transfers ended up at a public school.   
  • 9 of the 24 private school players below transferred over the past two years.
  • 3 transfers went from a private school to a public school, and 5 transfers went from a public school a private school
  • Breakdown of 24 transfers by position: WR-5, DE-2, OL-2, CB-2, LB-1, QB-2, RB-3, DT-2, ATH-5
  • St Thomas Aquinas got 4 of the 24 transfers.
  • A number of schools have 2 players on the list below.  South Dade and Chaminade-Madonna each have 3 players, and St Thomas Aquinas has 7 players on the list.

Transfers by county (the county of the school where the athlete transferred): 

Miami-Dade-8

Broward-6

Duval-3

Hillsborough-3

Palm Beach-2

Brevard-1

Pinellas-1

Marcus Rosemy/WR-St Thomas Aquinas

Fred Davis II/CB-Trinity Christian

Demarckus Bowman/RB-Lakeland

Leonard Manuel/WR-Vanguard

Avantae Williams/S-Deland

Henry Gray/CB-Miami Central-transferred from Miramar in 2018

Don Chaney Jr/RB-Belen Jesuit

Jalen Rivers/OL-Oakleaf

Bryan Robinson/WR-Palm Beach Central

Marc Britt/ATH-Carol City

Keyvone Lee/ATH-Superior-transferred from Clearwater International in 2017

Johnnie Brown/DT-Middleton

Jaylen Harrell/LB-Berkeley Prep

Jaylan Knighton/RB-Deerfield Beach

Samuel Anaele/DE-Carol City-transferred from Norland in 2018

Malachi Wideman/-Riverview

Chantz Williams/DE-Oakleaf

Dominic Mammarelli/TE-Naples

Timothy Smith/DT-Sebastian River

Lawrence Toafili/RB-Pinellas Park

Gervon Dexter/DT-Lake Wales

Marcus Dumervile/OL-St Thomas Aquinas

Jalen Carter/DE-Apopka

Keyshawn Green/LB-Wakulla

Joshua Braun/OL-Suwannee

Jadarius McKnight/ATH-Dunbar

Miles Brooks/CB-Trinity Christian

Miller Meriweather-Lewis/OL-Vangaurd

Demorie Tate/CB-Freedom

Derek Wingo/LB-St Thomas Aquinas

Willie Moise/DT-Chaminade-Madonna-transferred from OOS in 2017

Caziah Holmes/ATH-Cocoa

Jaquavion Frazirs/ATH-Dunnellon

Carson Beck/QB-Mandarin-transferred from Providence in 2018

Corbin Gibson/ATH-Sebastian River

Jayion McCluster/LB-Largo

Jahvante Royal/WR-St Thomas Aquinas-transferred from McArthur in 2018

Devon Betty/LB-St Thomas Aquinas-transferred from Miramar in 2018

Marcus Fleming/WR-Southridge-transferred from Miami High in 2018

Jovens Janvier/OL-Champagnat

Stephen Dix Jr/LB-Dr Phillips

Keshawn Washington/LB-South Dade

Westley Neal/DT-Gulliver Prep

Ladarious Tennison/ATH-Rockledge-transferred from Palm Bay in 2017

Cesar Reyes/OL-Chamberlain

Jonathan Denis/OL-South Dade-transferred from Keys Gate in 2017

Arian Smith/ATH-Mulberry

Issiah Walker Jr/OL-Norland

Aydin Henningham/WR-Park Vista-transferred from Atlantic in 2018

Latarie Kinsler/DE-Pahokee

Eric Wilson/RB-Armwood-transferred from Plant City in 2018

Kejon Owens/RB-Miami Central

Elijah Canion/WR-Chaminade-Madonna

Jaiden Francois/S-South Dade

Xzavier Henderson/WR-Columbus

Xavier Restrepo/WR-St Thomas Aquinas-transferred from Monarch in 2018

Alvin Mathis/LB-Pinellas Park

Jose Mirabal/OL-South Dade

Michael Rankins/OL-Lennard

Clyde Pinder/DT-Armwood-transferred from East Bay in 2018

Zane Herring/OL-Madison County

Dominick Hill/WR-Jones

Anthony Richardson/QB-Eastside

Dejuan McDougle/WR-Deerfield Beach

Jovan Ferguson/ATH-St Thomas Aquinas-transferred from Carol City in 2018

Marquez Bell/WR-Columbia

Elijah Roberts/DE-Columbus-transferred from Coral Park in 2018

Greg Spann/QB-Lakewood

Henry Bryant/DT-Atlantic-transferred from AH Delray in 2017

Daryl Porter/CB-AH Plantation

Majon Wright/S-Cardinal Gibbons

Ruben Hyppolite II/LB-AH Plantation

Tevin Griffey/CB-Dr Phillips

Willie Taggart Jr/ATH-Florida High-transferred from OOS in 2018

Richard Leonard/OL-Cocoa

Deidrick Stanley/ATH-Chaminade-Madonna-transferred from St Thomas Aquinas in 2017

Johnquai Lewis/WR-Champagnat

Frank Gore Jr/RB-Killian-transferred from Coral Gables in 2018

Joe Hodge/ATH-Jefferson-transferred from Tampa Catholic

Woody Dean/OL-Deerfield Beach-transferred from Ely in 2018

Jecoryan Davis-Hamilton/ATH-Apopka

Garrett Green/QB-Chiles

Devon Lingle/QB-Fletcher-transferred from Ponte Vedra in 2017

Malik Jones/DT-Zephyrhills Christian

Jaheem Joseph/CB-Monsignor Pace

Brandon Fields/RB-Dr Phillips

Bradley Ashmore/OL-Fletcher

Andre Stringfield/RB-Northwestern-transferred from Coral Gables in 2018

Jahquez Robinson/CB-Sandalwood-transferred from Trinity Christian in 2018

Jordan Davis/TE-Seminole

Decorri Brown/DT-Palm Beach Gardens

Jaylen Clausell/DE-Pine Forest

Jacquez Yant/RB-Godby

Roscoe Parrish III/WR-Southridge-transferred from Miami High in 2018

Jevaun Jacobsen/ATH-Clearwater Academy-transferred from OOS

Thanks for compiling this info.

That said, I wonder if the disproportionate number of transfers in Dade/Broward is commensurate with the population differences? I mean 14 out of 24 (58%) is high, but statistically speaking  these two counties account for nearly 24% of the overall state population. Add the fact that so many of these schools are relatively close to one another (compared to most of the less populated counties) and such transfers become easy. Bus routes help too.

The junior transfer for Columbus, for instance came from Coral Park. That school is 1 mile down 87th ave from Columbus. 

Just adding a little perspective here that you might have missed.

1 hour ago, ExplorerHomer2 said:

Thanks for compiling this info.

That said, I wonder if the disproportionate number of transfers in Dade/Broward is commensurate with the population differences? I mean 14 out of 24 (58%) is high, but statistically speaking  these two counties account for nearly 24% of the overall state population. Add the fact that so many of these schools are relatively close to one another (compared to most of the less populated counties) and such transfers become easy. Bus routes help too.

The junior transfer for Columbus, for instance came from Coral Park. That school is 1 mile down 87th ave from Columbus. 

Just adding a little perspective here that you might have missed.

I appreciate your point.  Below are the student populations of each of the 10 largest school districts in Florida.  The combined student population of the Miami-Dade and Broward school districts is 627,000.  The combined student population of the other 8 SD's listed below is a little more than double that of Miami-Dade and Broward.

Of the top 200 FL seniors and Top 95 juniors this past season, 42 in Miami-Dade and Broward transferred and only 29 such players combined in the remaining 8 counties transferred.  Palm Beach is intensely populated, with slightly over half as many people as Miami-Dade.  Yet MD had 22 transfers and PB had 5 from amongst the aforementioned pool of players.

Miami-Dade   358,000

Broward 269.000

Hillsborough 212,000

Orange 197,000

Palm Beach 189,000

Duval 129,000

Pinellas 103,000

PolK County 102,000

Lee 91,000

Brevard 73,000

Pasco 71,000

Seminole 67,000

Volusia 63,000

• 3 months later...

interesting fact...of the 2018 Top 200 FL seniors and Top 95 juniors who transferred to a school within the same county over the past 2 seasons...42% of such transfers transferred to one of seven schools..St Thomas Aquinas, Chaminade-Madonna, Carol City, Columbus, Southridge, Deerfield Beach, and Northwestern...Dade and Broward schools.

It is the rich getting richer.

99.8% of teams in Florida would love to be trending downward like St Thomas LOL  As talented as this 5'10" WR may be,  I hardly think losing him is going to hurt STA that badly when looking at the big picture of their program.  Who knows, STA may end up with an "upgrade" for his replacement.  

9 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

99.8% of teams in Florida would love to be trending downward like St Thomas LOL  As talented as this 5'10" WR may be,  I hardly think losing him is going to hurt STA that badly when looking at the big picture of their program.  Who knows, STA may end up with an "upgrade" for his replacement.  

It isn't just losing him, based on what I'm hearing from my contact down in South Florida they have even bigger problems with the current roster and those problems could cause more to potentially leave before summer is done

With him leaving Rosemey is gonna be facing double teams all year which is going to limit his effectiveness and the current QBs on the roster aren't that good 

The big picture is that this one player is going to impact the entire offense and so far none of the off-season pickups have been anything that I would call a "upgrade" 

This STA team isn't getting the same level of players that they did during their 3 peat 

9 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Besides another thing here is how often do we hear about major players transferring OUT of STA?

There is a lot that seems to be changing in that county moving forward, don't believe me. Just watch what happens to AHP this year

13 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

It isn't just losing him, based on what I'm hearing from my contact down in South Florida they have even bigger problems with the current roster and those problems could cause more to potentially leave before summer is done

With him leaving Rosemey is gonna be facing double teams all year which is going to limit his effectiveness and the current QBs on the roster aren't that good 

The big picture is that this one player is going to impact the entire offense and so far none of the off-season pickups have been anything that I would call a "upgrade" 

This STA team isn't getting the same level of players that they did during their 3 peat 

If the current qb's aren't that good, they obviously won't have much of a passing game, so who plays wr is a bit of a moot point.  

11 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Besides another thing here is how often do we hear about major players transferring OUT of STA?

There is a lot that seems to be changing in that county moving forward, don't believe me. Just watch what happens to AHP this year

Unless you know for a fact, and not hearsay, why he transferred out, probably best not to draw conclusions.  There may be reasons  beyond football hint hint 

43 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Aquinas has this young man returning.  IMO, at least as talented as Restrepo, and likely more upside potential in college, as evidenced by the amount of recruiting attention he has gotten.  He has been with the STA program since his freshman year, so is committed to the school and knows the playbook.  Rosemy will not be the only threat next year, although am sure their coaches will appreciate your concern. LOL  

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/the-andris-freeman-211070#school-interests

STA is not getting the same level of players???  That's amusing concerning the array of FBS talent they fielded last year, which was mindblowing.  STA has always been a great team that typically has not relied upon one or two superstars to win.There are various reasons why a team may not win a state title.  I would not assume failure to win a title necessarily equates to "not getting the same level of players." 

Who were these superior players STA got in the past via transfer?  Name names and years, please.    

12 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Aquinas has this young man returning.  IMO, at least as talented as Restrepo, and likely more upside potential in college, as evidenced by the amount of recruiting attention he has gotten.  He has been with the STA program since his freshman year, so is committed to the school and knows the playbook.  Rosemy will not be the only threat next year, although am sure their coaches will appreciate your concern. LOL  

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/the-andris-freeman-211070#school-interests

STA is not getting the same level of players???  That's amusing concerning the array of FBS talent they fielded last year, which was mindblowing.  STA has always been a great team that typically has not relied upon one or two superstars to win.There are various reasons why a team may not win a state title.  I would not assume failure to win a title necessarily equates to "not getting the same level of players." 

Who were these superior players STA got in the past via transfer?  Name names and years, please.    

They aren't gonna win state because one 7a is a lot better than it was during the 3 peat and two because the current group of QBs aren't that good and rarely these days does a team who is one dimensional end up winning the title in the larger classifications where teams have so many players and so many ways to beat you

Just off top of my head from those 3 peat years, Scarlett and Bruce were both from Uschool 

Both of whom I would put on par and in many ways better than any current STA player at their respective positions

I also don't see anyone on the current team who can take over the game like Bosa could at any time 

It ain't just the transfers

The players who have come through the program aren't as good as the ones they had during 2014-2016 run

People always look at offers and ratings and stars

More to the game then stuff like that

11 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

They aren't gonna win state because one 7a is a lot better than it was during the 3 peat and two because the current group of QBs aren't that good and rarely these days does a team who is one dimensional end up winning the title in the larger classifications where teams have so many players and so many ways to beat you

Just off top of my head from those 3 peat years, Scarlett and Bruce were both from Uschool 

Both of whom I would put on par and in many ways better than any current STA player at their respective positions

I also don't see anyone on the current team who can take over the game like Bosa could at any time 

The players who have come through the program aren't as good as the ones they had during 2014-2016 run

Since you seem to know so much about STA, would you mind listing their projected starting lineup for next season, by each position?

4 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I agree one cannot simply look at offers and ratings.  Let's look at actual performance in college.  The following kids from St Thomas, all of whom graduated in 2018, saw playing time at Power 5 schools as true freshmen this past season.  Some of them are already excelling.  I would venture to say there are not too many high schools in Florida, if any, who duplicated that feat.  Someone please name 8+ kids from one of Aquinas' state title teams who saw playing time at Power 5 schools as true freshman.

I am a believer in giving credit where it is due.   As a whole, the individual talent I see coming out of St Thomas of late is as good as ever.  That does not necessarily mean that talent plays well enough as a team to win a state title, though.  

Tavares Kelly/WR- U of Virginia

Elijah Moore/WR-Ole Miss

Asante Samuel/DB-FSU

Trenell Troutman/DB-Louisville

Al Blades/DB-Miami

Nike Bonitto/LB-Oklahoma

Dez Dumervil/DL-Louisville

Tyler Steen/DL-Vanderbilt

I thought STA picked up their QB of the future (well, at least for the next two years).  A portion of a previous post:

Brady Dean, son of former UF QB Terry Dean, is leaving Collier County and transferring to STA.  Here's  a link to the article. 

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/brady-dean-transfers-sta-football-st-thomas-aquinas

"Brady Dean threw for 1,195 yards, 12 touchdowns and 11 interceptions as a sophomore last season, his first as the Lions’ starting quarterback."

Will he not be STA's savior?

16 hours ago, Jags904 said:

The problem for STA has been 1) coaching and 2) QB play...the talent at other positions has been there to dominate. 

Something else has happened over the past few years...the other private schools in Broward County, ie Cardinal Gibbons, Chaminade, etc have all come on strong.  Between 2007-2012 those other private schools, as a whole, were not having great success.  So, there is a lot more competition for the top talent now.  10 years ago, possibly a Nik Scalzo goes to STA.  Imagine if some of the top players at some of those other private schools had been at STA over the past few years...utterly scary.

All that said, STA has had more than enough talent to win a state title of late.   Talent is not the issue, IMO.  Nor do I think it fair to blame their qb's.  Curt Casteel had a fine performance in the state final vs Lakeland and on the season had an impressive qb ratio, with few INT's.  Many schools would have been thrilled to have a qb like him.  I steer away from coaching discussions, so will let others go there if they like.