Cocoa has five players entering the NFL draft in 2019

84Tigergrad

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/4/2019 at 11:18 AM, peezy28 said:

If you think that is something you should see what lakewood has Produced (without the HS success of winning a state title at that)

1. Shaquem Griffin LB-UCF-SEA 5th rd

2. Shaquill Griffen -CB-UCF-SEA 3rd rd

3. Isiah Wynn -OT-UGA-NE 1st rd (23rd overall)

5. Dante Fowler - DE-UF-OAK(drafted by jags) 1st rd (3rd overall highest draft pick in Pinellas County)

6. Marquez Valdez Scantling - WR-NCSTATE-USF-GB 5th rd

7. Rodney Adams - WR-Toledo-USF-MINN (retired after 1 year) 5th rd

8. Bernard Reedy - WR-Toldeo-TB UFA

9. Ryan Davis - WR-Auburn (Likely get drafted mid to late rounds due to size but currently is all time leader for receptions and reception tds at Auburn).

10. Jonte Green - CB-New Mexico State-Detroit (drafted) 6th round

Just for kicks and giggles the guys highlighted in green at some point in time were all on the same damn team... You can figure out if that is a good thing or a bad thing LOL.

Those are recent players or the ones still in the League.  Going back further Lakewood also produced the following pro players you may recognize:

1. Louis Murphy

2. William Floyd

3. Aveon Cason

4. Cornell Green

5. Ernest Givins

6. Tom Carter

7. Pat Carter

8. Tim Carter

9. Pat Terrell

I love me some Louis Murphy! 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Cocoa's Jawaan Taylor 3rd pick in the 2nd round. The first from Cocoa to make it to the big show.

He was a 1st round pick if he could have completed the combine but he has a slight hamstring pull.

He is the second to make it to the NFL from Cocoa High . Torran folston father was the first. He played 9 years for the Oakland  raiders .

looks like 3 at min from Cocoa will be picked in the draft. Freddie Lloyd could also go in the very late rounds but I doubt it. Possiable Free Agents would be F B Lloyd and J Jackson .

Feeling good with 3 from Cocoa getting picked though. Lloyd would be a nice pickup for a team that needs a big DT that can run. I'll never forget that Int against Gonzaga he made and run it back 75 yards with the whole O-line chasing him. 

4 out of 5 kids was drafted from Cocoa High School. This small town has big time talent. Mark my word " I see 3 more Coming in three years. And you know what's so sad " we have schools in Brevard county hating Cocoa High because of their success. And you know what else is sad" we had three kids transfer out after last year state championship appearance ( Cocoa has a easier route next year. They go north. ) and going to other schools that haven't made it pass the second round of the playoffs for 20 yrs. Mark my word' Cocoa will be in the finals again next year facing Carol City. That's my prediction. 

30 minutes ago, 84Tigergrad said:

4 out of 5 kids was drafted from Cocoa High School. This small town has big time talent. Mark my word " I see 3 more Coming in three years. And you know what's so sad " we have schools in Brevard county hating Cocoa High because of their success. And you know what else is sad" we had three kids transfer out after last year state championship appearance ( Cocoa has a easier route next year. They go north. ) and going to other schools that haven't made it pass the second round of the playoffs for 20 yrs. Mark my word' Cocoa will be in the finals again next year facing Carol City. That's my prediction. 

you had 15-20 kids transferring in for a few years.  That is why schools in Brevard county hate you.  They also are tired of losing to you.  Do you think any NFL team likes the Patriots?  It's not fun to lose especially to someone next door.  

Congrats on 4 kids getting drafted.  That is an amazing feat from any school especially from a smaller school.

Prior to the mid 00's, I rarely heard a peep about Cocoa High football.  Then they burst onto the scene.  No doubt Brevard has a lot of talent.  But if Cocoa has always had talent, why did they have such limited success historically(Cocoa and Cocoa Beach combined won a single playoff game prior to 2000)?  When a private school comes out of nowhere, we all know what questions get asked.  So, I think it's only fair to ask the same question of a public school.   

Cocoa hired AD Chuck Goldfarb around 2002 who then proceeded to hire some decent coaches. 

2004 Gerald Odom, Former coach of State Champs Merritt Island.

Odom brought John Wilkinson on in 2006.

Wilks then built a championship caliber team over the next 3 years.

The transfers didn't start until after the Cocoa's first championship.

A quote from Field of Dream's. "If you build it, they will come."  

2 hours ago, 84Tigergrad said:

Who was the 4th from Cocoa? I got Jawaanie, Chauncey, and Jamel.

Cocoa tied for most drafted in 2019 with Allen Tx. Both drafted 3 players in 7 rounds. 

Allen draftee's.

1. Cardinals - QB Kyler Murray / Oklahoma / Allen TX

37. Panthers - OT Greg Little / Ole Miss / Allen TX

97. Rams - OT Bobby Evans / Oklahoma / Allen TX

Cocoa Draftee's

35. Jaguars - OT Jawaan Taylor / Florida / Cocoa FL

94. Buccaneers - CB Jamel Dean / Auburn / Cocoa FL

105. Saints - S Chauncey Gardner-Johnson / Florida / Cocoa FL

On 4/28/2019 at 10:48 AM, OldSchoolLion said:

Prior to the mid 00's, I rarely heard a peep about Cocoa High football.  Then they burst onto the scene.  No doubt Brevard has a lot of talent.  But if Cocoa has always had talent, why did they have such limited success historically(Cocoa and Cocoa Beach combined won a single playoff game prior to 2000)?  When a private school comes out of nowhere, we all know what questions get asked.  So, I think it's only fair to ask the same question of a public school.   

Cocoa had good teams in the past. The 1987, 1992 ,1996 and 1997 teams were pretty good.

On 4/28/2019 at 10:48 AM, OldSchoolLion said:

Bad coaching.