Alabama vs Clemson Yaaaawn

OldSchoolLion

This is an interesting article/perspective.  I disagree it is what is good for college football.  No argument we will get to see two of the deepest college teams imaginable.  But for me, the essence of amateur sports was the unpredictable...the Cinderella story...David vs. Goliath.  There is no March Madness in the pros.  We have pro sports to satisfy our need to see the "ultimate" team(s).

College football is becoming more predictable and high school football is well on its way.  In future years, where will folks go who want the unpredictable?  It seems as if those opportunities are shrinking.  Why does everything have to be the biggest and the best...at all levels?  I thoroughly enjoy watching a bunch of awkward little kids stumble around as they learn the game.  There is a joy in such things.  We are driving the "all star" mentality deeper and deeper.

But don't worry everyone.  We are much happier today than in the past.  How do I know?  "They" are telling us so.  The same folks who have their names plastered all over the stadiums and who want to sell us all that stuff we've just got to have to make us happy.    :rolleyes:   I respect anyone who thinks differently and truly likes seeing Alabama vs Clemson again.  What I don't appreciate is being told why I should be happy to get what someone else decided was a good thing.  

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25642948/alabama-clemson-part-iv-historic-college-football-playoff-national-championship

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

This is an interesting article/perspective.  I disagree it is what is good for college football.  No argument we will get to see two of the deepest college teams imaginable.  But for me, the essence of amateur sports was the unpredictable...the Cinderella story...David vs. Goliath.  There is no March Madness in the pros.  We have pro sports to satisfy our need to see the "ultimate" team(s).

College football is becoming more predictable and high school football is well on its way.  In future years, where will folks go who want the unpredictable?  It seems as if those opportunities are shrinking.  Why does everything have to be the biggest and the best...at all levels?  I thoroughly enjoy watching a bunch of awkward little kids stumble around as they learn the game.  There is a joy in such things.  We are driving the "all star" mentality deeper and deeper.

But don't worry everyone.  We are much happier today than in the past.  How do I know?  "They" are telling us so.  The same folks who have their names plastered all over the stadiums and who want to sell us all that stuff we've just got to have to make us happy.    :rolleyes:   I respect anyone who thinks differently and truly likes seeing Alabama vs Clemson again.  What I don't appreciate is being told why I should be happy to get what someone else decided was a good thing.  

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25642948/alabama-clemson-part-iv-historic-college-football-playoff-national-championship

I pretty much agree with all you said above. Unfortunately, it is not just in sports, but in the entire society we seem to be going further down the road of the haves and have nots. This is not a sustainable recipe and will eventually lead to apathy and ultimately serious social unrest. 

Stay tuned ...

Like the Golden Age of Rockefeller, Carnegie, Mellon, and other monopoly titans, the American citizenry is in love with wealth, pomp and ceremony. It's all that matters. Alabama and Clemson are winners to be idolized. The others are inept losers to be laughed at, pitied, and scorned. Humongous corporations collude and conspire to hoodwink us into believing they know what is in our best interest. All the while fleecing the general public in a manner P.T. Barnum never dreamed. Big, rich, powerful, and beautiful are American aspirations of the day. If and when the pendulum swings back, in a less greedy and self centered way, it will come at the expense of the marketing manipulators. Hopefully the minds and hearts of the younger generation are opened more then my own generation. Please excuse the lefty rant. Sometimes I just can't help it. :)    

There is no Cinderella story in college football because of extreme bias and hatred of change

Notice how much hate UCF gets all the time, people hate them because they didn't stay in their lane and accept injustice and the status quo 

People hate them because they aren't the tradition of Notre Dame or Alabama and with everyone having a chance it pisses people off who want the little guy squished before they can make it big

UCF would have been the Cinderella story but 2 straight years they were left out to allow a traditional power like Ohio State or Notre Dame get in only to get squashed like a bug and waste the playoff spot

Just now, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

There is no Cinderella story in college football because of extreme bias and hatred of change

Notice how much hate UCF gets all the time, people hate them because they didn't stay in their lane and accept injustice and the status quo 

People hate them because they aren't the tradition of Notre Dame or Alabama and with everyone having a chance it pisses people off who want the little guy squished before they can make it big

UCF would have been the Cinderella story but 2 straight years they were left out to allow a traditional power like Ohio State or Notre Dame get in only to get squashed like a bug and waste the playoff spot

Stay tuned for Tuesday. That will be an important test. I believe UCF  for the second year takes down a big SEC team. LSU does not even have their heads in the game and I think they offense is going to get exposed! 

5 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Stay tuned for Tuesday. That will be an important test. I believe UCF  for the second year takes down a big SEC team. LSU does not even have their heads in the game and I think they offense is going to get exposed! 

I'll go a step further

I think UCF will embarrass LSU

the evolution of Alabama recruiting in Florida.  10 and more years ago, the bulk of FL recruits came from north Florida.  Now Alabama is routinely landing south FL studs.  

2003(8 players)-Bay, Holmes County, Rickards, Godby(2), West Nassau, Kathleen, Spanish River 

2008(10 players)-Pine Forest, Fort Walton Beach, Godby, Nease(2), Bolles, Robinson, Booker, Lake Worth, Douglas(punter)

2010(4 players)-Escambia, Armwood, St Thomas Aquinas, South Dade

2012(10 players)-Arnold, Choctawhatchee, Pensacola Catholic, First Coast, Plant, Dr Phillips(2), St Thomas Aquinas, Northwestern, South Dade

2014(7 players)-First Coast, Yulee, Trinity Catholic, Wellington, AH Delray, Boyd Anderson, Northwestern

2016(4 players)-Florida High, Boyd Anderson, Monarch, Deerfield Beach

2018(12 players)-Pensacola Washington, Bolles, Boone, IMG, Armwood, Robinson, Sebastian River, AH Plantation, Deerfield Beach, Chaminade-Madonna, Boyd Anderson, Columbus

4 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I think I see a trend, here!

That Alabama has gotten better as they have went to less players in their state and gotten players from much stronger surrounding states like FL for example

The FL universitys would do so much better if they would recruit their own state better

Like look at UCF,  25 in a row and almost entirely a FL roster

7 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

That Alabama has gotten better as they have went to less players in their state and gotten players from much stronger surrounding states like FL for example

The FL universitys would do so much better if they would recruit their own state better

Both.

I also agree that Florida Universities need to do a better job keeping some of the talent here from leaving. 

Alabama recruiting....players from 23 different states on current roster...breakdown below.  It's obvious they are targeting very specific players.  Saban has taken college recruiting to another level.  Interestingly, they could probably get even more OOS players if they chose..says a lot about the hs talent in Alabama

Alabama-38

Florida-12

Texas-11

Louisiana-11

Georgia-7

California-6

Maryland/DC-6

Mississippi-4

S Carolina-4

Kentucky-2

Tennessee-2

Arkansas-1

Hawaii-1

Indiana-1

Iowa-1

Missouri-1

Nevada-1

N Carolina-1

Ohio-1

Oklahoma-1

Pennsylvania-1

Utah-1

Virginia-1

43 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

The state of Alabama produces crazy talent, so U of AL has the best of both worlds, cherry-picking the best talent from other states while maintaining a core of players from their state.  

23407448-mmmain.png

ank State Ratio (y) NFL Players (x)
1 Florida 1 in 4,095 201
2 Georgia 1 in 4,132 114
3 South Carolina 1 in 4,745 51
4 Alabama 1 in 4,818 55
5 Louisiana 1 in 5,017 60

Clemson recruiting....players from 18 different states on current roster...breakdown below.  Clemson has focused its recruiting in SC, NC & GA, whereas Alabama is recruiting on a much broader scale.  

South Carolina-41

Georgia-20

North Carolina-12

Florida-8

Alabama-6

Virginia-5

Tennessee-4

Kansas-2

Maryland-2

Massachusetts-2

New York-2

Ohio-2

Colorado-1

Indiana-1

Louisiana-1

Missouri-1

Pennsylvania-1

Texas-1

57 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

The state of Alabama produces crazy talent, so U of AL has the best of both worlds, cherry-picking the best talent from other states while maintaining a core of players from their state.  

23407448-mmmain.png

ank State Ratio (y) NFL Players (x)
1 Florida 1 in 4,095 201
2 Georgia 1 in 4,132 114
3 South Carolina 1 in 4,745 51
4 Alabama 1 in 4,818 55
5 Louisiana 1 in 5,017 60

As always good stuff Old Lion. The repercussions of "Ole Dixie" and it's brutal past have now shown one positive effect for our viewing pleasure. An unnatural number of players populating the green fields of the NFL.  More power to the fella's today, but their ancestors payed a terrible price in blood and flesh for it to come out this way....still on that lefty soap box....

43 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

As always good stuff Old Lion. The repercussions of "Ole Dixie" and it's brutal past have now shown one positive effect for our viewing pleasure. An unnatural number of players populating the green fields of the NFL.  More power to the fella's today, but their ancestors payed a terrible price in blood and flesh for it to come out this way....still on that lefty soap box....

The Southern states routinely rank amongst the worst for education, poverty, etc.  Yet we have these mega institutions there, like the University of Alabama, giving away pieces of paper to kids in exchange for talent that they charge fans exorbitant prices to see.  An average ticket for an Alabama game will set you back $160. 

It's ironic that states like Alabama and Mississippi have some of the most fanatical fans, many of whom could never afford a ticket to see a game.  Those institutions have the nerve to charge $30 for a baseball cap.  This is how they thank the people who support them.

Although we sometimes complain about the lack of fan attendance in Florida, at least Floridians live in a state with lots of choices for activities.  I've lived in the rural South, and although it sounds glamorous to speak of these little towns that shut down on Friday nights for football games, they can be sad places.  The people in these depressed places crave to be a part of something bigger than themselves, so they rally around these university football programs like the University of Alabama.  It would be great if the universities reached out to them, but unless they can make money off of you, they really don't care.   So there can be a major disconnect between the universities and their fan bases. 

18 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Must we do this over and over again lamenting about everything one doesn't like, these things come and go in cycles.......you want proof, well lets look the cycles that have occurred over the years:

* From 1869 - 1900 the National Champion came from a Ivy League school (that's right 31 straight years, I guess that wasn't good for college football?)

* 1901 - 1904 Michigan either won or tied for the National Championships with a Ivy League School

* 1905 - 1015 The National Championship was either won or tied by the Ivy Leagues once again 9 times

* 1916 - 1919 There was relative parity as the Championship was won or tied by 7 different teams

* 1920 - 1922 The National Championship was either won or tied by the University of California

* 1923 - 1930 There was relative parity other than Alabama winning or being tied 3 times

* 1931 - 1936 The National title was won by either So Cal or the University of Minnesota

* 1937 - 1942 Parity once again other than a repeat by the University of Minnesota in 40 & 41

* 1943 - 1949 The National Championship was won by either Army or Notre Dame

* 1950 - 1956  Oklahoma winning it in 50, 55, 56

* 1957 - 1967 Has Ohio State, Alabama, Michigan St, and So Cal winning it at least twice or tied for the National Championship

* 1968 - 1974 Saw either Ohio St or So Cal win or tie for the National Championship twice

* 1975 - 1977 No repeat National Champions

* 1978 - 1979 Alabama back to back

* 1980 - 1982 No repeat National Champions

* 1983 - 1991 Saw the University of Miami win it 3 times in 83, 87, 89 and tie in 91

* 1992 - 1993 No repeats

* 1994 - 1997 Nebraska wins it in 94, 95 and ties for the National Championship in 97

* 1998 - 2002 No repeats

* 2003 - 2004 So Cal either wins or ties for the National Championship

* 2005 - 2008 Florida wins it twice in 06 and 08

* 2009 - 2017 Alabama wins in 5 times in 09, 11, 12, 15 and 17

Some other interesting facts:

Since 2006 a SEC team has won the national championship 9 times during the last 12 years

Enough of the hand ringing and lamenting that your team isnt making the playoffs or playing for a National Championship. College football is littered with periods of domination by individual teams or conferences through out its 148 year history. Nothing has changed about the that, the facts more than make that perfectly clear!

18 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

Must we do this over and over again lamenting about everything one doesn't like, these things come and go in cycles.......you want proof, well lets look the cycles that have occurred over the years:

* From 1869 - 1900 the National Champion came from a Ivy League school (that's right 31 straight years, I guess that wasn't good for college football?)

* 1901 - 1904 Michigan either won or tied for the National Championships with a Ivy League School

* 1905 - 1015 The National Championship was either won or tied by the Ivy Leagues once again 9 times

* 1916 - 1919 There was relative parity as the Championship was won or tied by 7 different teams

* 1920 - 1922 The National Championship was either won or tied by the University of California

* 1923 - 1930 There was relative parity other than Alabama winning or being tied 3 times

* 1931 - 1936 The National title was won by either So Cal or the University of Minnesota

* 1937 - 1942 Parity once again other than a repeat by the University of Minnesota in 40 & 41

* 1957 - 1967 Has Ohio State, Alabama, Michigan St, and So Cal winning it at least twice or tied for the National Championship

* 1968 - 1974 Saw either Ohio St or So Cal win or tie for the National Championship twice

* 1983 - 1991 Saw the University of Miami win it 3 times in 83, 87, 89 and tie in 91

* 1992 - 1993 No repeats

* 1994 - 1997 Nebraska wins it in 94, 95 and ties for the National Championship in 97

* 1998 - 2002 No repeats

Since 2006 a SEC team has won the national championship 9 times during the last 12 years

Enough of the hand ringing and lamenting that your team isnt making the playoffs or playing for a National Championship. College football is littered with periods of domination by individual teams or conferences through out its 148 year history. Nothing has changed about the that, the facts more than make that perfectly clear!

My motivation for initiating this thread had nothing to do with the performance of "my team" this year.  The issue is "how" some of the teams today are winning.  This is a level of domination on the field (eye test) I have not witnessed in my lifetime.   The talent on a team like Alabama is so far ahead of most other teams in the country.   

I am intimately familiar with the Canes teams of the 80's.  I can judge those teams, arguably some of the most dominant of the past 50 years, versus what I see today. In terms of across-the-board talent, the teams that Alabama fields today are simply in another realm.  Those Canes teams had their share of All-Americans.  But watching a team like Alabama today reminds me of watching a team of All-Americans.  It is utterly scary.  I feel like I am watching a bad pro team.  

1 hour ago, FL_HS_football said:

* 1992 - 1993 No repeats

* 1998 - 2002 No repeats

Interesting stuff.   But forgive me if I don't choose to hold my breath waiting for the Ivy League to win a handful of consecutive national championships.  :D

13 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Interesting stuff.   But forgive me if I don't choose to hold my breath waiting for the Ivy League to win a handful of consecutive national championships.  :D

With the relative few number of schools playing football in the late 1800's, somehow I don't think people were too surprised that an Ivy League team was dominating the national scene.  That didn't stop people from lamenting, though.  My great grandpappy bitched about Harvard and Yale on this Board back then, so I am just carrying on the family tradition by complaining about Alabama and Clemson today.:rolleyes: