Top 25 Small Schools in the US - 3 from FL Make List

OldSchoolLion

...per Maxpreps, who considers schools with less than 1000 students for this list.  The results of the poll are a bit perplexing because there are small schools ranked higher than Chaminade-Madonna that did not even make the list, ie Archbishop Hoban(OH) and Cathedral Prep(PA).  I can see Maxpreps being concerned about this being dominated by urban, private schools and thus making an effort to recognize rural schools.  Cannot figure out why certain private schools made the list and others did not.

Georgia has the most teams on the list with 5, and Ohio has 4 teams. 9 of the schools on the list are in urban areas(bolded below)  and 16 are in rural areas.  There are 6 private schools on the list, and all are in urban areas.  Chaminade-Madonna and Madison County have been on this list in the past.  

*=private school

Student population listed in parentheses

1.*Chaminade-Madonna(FL)-511

2 Madison County(FL)-545

3. Blair Oaks(MO)-430 

4. Southern Columbia Area(PA)-437

5. Aurora(NE)-394

6. Kirtland(OH-Cleveland)-367

7.*Eagle's Landing Christian(GA-McDonough)-373

8. Newton(TX)-289

9.*Clearwater Central Catholic(FL)-543

10. Grandview(TX)-381

11. Mason(TX)-217

12, Orrville(OH-Akron)-425

13.Clinch County(GA)-478

14. Heard County(GA)-635

15.*Skutt Catholic(NE-Omaha)-571

16. Marion Local(OH)-286

17. Rockmart(GA)-898

18. McComb(OH)-212

19. Hasbrouck Heights(NJ-Newark)-572

20. (tie) Irwin County(GA)-456

20. (tie)*Heritage Hall(OK-Oklahoma City)-876 (Grades PK-12)

22. Phillipsburg(KS)-188

23. Gibson City-Melvin-Sibley(IL)-334

24.*Lafayette Christian(LA)-696 (Grades PK-12)

25. Mart(TX)-170

I've counted numerous other "small school private polls" where the only two Florida teams that make the list are Chaminade-Madonna and CCC, yet JaxTCA is technically smaller than both of them but doesn't get a mention. I think there are other criteria in these polls not being listed.   I'm thinking with JaxTCA moving back to 3A, they'll be #1 in all of the small school polls starting 2019.

52 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

I've counted numerous other "small school private polls" where the only two Florida teams that make the list are Chaminade-Madonna and CCC, yet JaxTCA is technically smaller than both of them but doesn't get a mention. I think there are other criteria in these polls not being listed.   I'm thinking with JaxTCA moving back to 3A, they'll be #1 in all of the small school polls starting 2019.

I have to agree, Jessica.  By including urban teams in this poll, it opens up a lot of questions.  I think it would have much easier to include only rural/semi-rural schools.  That approach likely would have kept out any private schools. 

I'm just getting back for the holiday's and will be following up on this topic. I also have a LOT of E-mail I need to go through as well. I've composed a list of teams such as JaxTCA, Carol City, Uschool,  and a few others and sent it to Maxpreps to get some feedback on how they compose this poll. 

My husband believes there's a few background algorithms or human opinion involved in this poll that the public aren't privy too. The only reason we can come up with that schools aren't listed is that even though the page says they're considering schools with less than 1000 students, they're actually looking at schools in Class 1A-3A with 630 or less students. It appears that most of the schools listed are below the 630 number. JaxTCA was most likely not included since they moved to 5A.  In that scenario, 4A would be considered a "large" school in the eyes of Maxpreps which is curious as 4A teams have made the list in the past. Maybe it's a newer change to only look at 1A-3A?

Looking soley at the list as presented (since it's been quotes on gobs of twitter accounts) Old School Lion did a great job breaking down the teams that did make the list. Georgia, Ohio Texas, PA and other states are well represented with the top 25.

When I shrink the list down to the top 10 though (The cream of the crop) Florida has 3 teams in the top 9 spots which is the most in the country. This is really cool also that you have 1 of the top small school teams in each section of the state: Madison County in the north, CCC in central/west central and Chaminade in the south.

I expect all 3 teams to maintain a top 20 ranking (pending transfers) with JaxTCA joining the group when the 2019 small school poll is released in August.

I'll follow up with any feedback I receive from Maxpreps!

1 hour ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

I'm just getting back for the holiday's and will be following up on this topic. I also have a LOT of E-mail I need to go through as well. I've composed a list of teams such as JaxTCA, Carol City, Uschool,  and a few others and sent it to Maxpreps to get some feedback on how they compose this poll. 

My husband believes there's a few background algorithms or human opinion involved in this poll that the public aren't privy too. The only reason we can come up with that schools aren't listed is that even though the page says they're considering schools with less than 1000 students, they're actually looking at schools in Class 1A-3A with 630 or less students. It appears that most of the schools listed are below the 630 number. JaxTCA was most likely not included since they moved to 5A.  In that scenario, 4A would be considered a "large" school in the eyes of Maxpreps which is curious as 4A teams have made the list in the past. Maybe it's a newer change to only look at 1A-3A?

Looking soley at the list as presented (since it's been quotes on gobs of twitter accounts) Old School Lion did a great job breaking down the teams that did make the list. Georgia, Ohio Texas, PA and other states are well represented with the top 25.

When I shrink the list down to the top 10 though (The cream of the crop) Florida has 3 teams in the top 9 spots which is the most in the country. This is really cool also that you have 1 of the top small school teams in each section of the state: Madison County in the north, CCC in central/west central and Chaminade in the south.

I expect all 3 teams to maintain a top 20 ranking (pending transfers) with JaxTCA joining the group when the 2019 small school poll is released in August.

Rockmart(GA) has 898 students and Heritage Hall(OK) with 876 students are both on the list, so maybe they did consider schools up to 1000.  Some of the schools would be considered "large" schools within their respective states, ie Skutt Catholic in Nebraska, so am not sure classification has anything to do with eligibility for the poll.   

As a point of reference, Mart High in Texas, #25 on the list, is ranked #504 by Maxpreps.  Numerous schools with less than 1000 employees and ranked within Maxpreps' Top 500 did not make the list.  Below are some of them.  I'm fine with a subjective poll, but if that's the case, it's beyond me how one could leave out some of the schools below.     

St Frances Academy(MD)-131 students; #5 Maxpreps; 9-0 record

Archbishop Hoban(OH)-855 students; #13 Maxpreps; 15-0 record

John Curtis Christian-882 students (PK-12); #18 Maxpreps; 13-0 record

Grace Brethren(CA)-411 students (Grades 7-12); #60 Maxpreps: 14-1 record 

Blessed Trinity(GA)-978 students; #61 Maxpreps; 15-0 record

Toledo Central Catholic(OH)-643 students; #102 Maxpreps; 12-1 record

Trinity Christian(FL)-420 students; #117 Maxpreps; 

Imhotep Charter(PA)-573   #338 Maxpreps   11-3 record

3 hours ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

..some perspective, for what it's worth.  As a whole, I don't consider small school ball a strength of the state today.  At times in the past, 2A, 3A and 4A in Florida were brutally competitive, and there were relatively strong, smaller programs spread throughout the state.  Today, some of those same programs have grown into large schools and/or the programs have gone downhill, ie Clewiston, Fort Meade, Frostproof, South Sumter, Union County, Jefferson County, etc.  We still have some really competitive teams in 1A, but 2A-4A are shells of what they used to be.  It's really a shame.   

The depth of "quality" smaller programs in Georgia and Alabama would really surprise folks in Florida.  There are multiple teams in those states who would contend for state titles in our lower classes.  These are teams many of you have never heard of.  Most of Georgia and Alabama are rural, so there are lots of small teams there..small teams in areas with very rich football traditions and "the only way out" is through football.  They are bit like the Muck and the kids there are tough. 

Look at the rosters of the SEC teams today and you will find numerous players from the Southern states on their rosters who come from little schools you have never heard of. What's the difference in those states?  Coaching, community involvement, kids getting strong working on the farm...big factors.  I would say the same about Texas, but I am not sure Texas has quite the same level of talent in their smaller schools as some of the Southern states.