Only 3 Florida Kids on Clemson Depth Chart

OldSchoolLion

As much as we like thinking that Florida kids are the cream of the recruiting crop, at least one national champion won it all with only one Florida player who saw regular playing time...Clemson.  Trayvon Mullen of Coconut Creek is a starting CB, Garrett Williams was a starter at TE, and Blake Vinson of North Marion is a 3rd team offensive lineman.  Those are the only two FL players listed on their depth chart.    

Directly below is the breakdown by state of origin of Clemson starters.  Further below I list where individual players are from.  Interestingly, Clemson recruited 3 offensive linemen, 2 linebackers and 2 safeties who were all 3-star players in high school.  And clutch WR Hunter Renfrow was not rated.  Clemson does not have a very broad recruiting footprint, but what they are doing is nailing some of the top players within 250 miles of the campus.  Unlike Florida, a lot of the best talent in South Carolina is staying home to go to college, between U of South Carolina and Clemson.  Anyone who saw the Clemson WR's tonight can see that there is talent at that position in the other Southern States that rivals that of Florida. 

South Carolina-10

Georgia-8

North Carolina-3

Tennessee-2

Virginia-2

Alabama-1

Florida-1

Kansas-1

Louisiana-1

Maryland-1

Massachusetts-1

Pennsylvania-1

CLEMSON OFFENSE

Trevor Lawrence/5* QB-Georgia

Travis Etienne/4* RB-Louisiana

Tavien Feaster/4* RB-South Carolina

Adam Choice/4* RB-Georgia

Hunter Renfrow/WR-South Carolina (no rating)

Derion Kendrick/5* WR-South Carolina

Trevion Thompson/4* WR-North Carolina

Diondre Overton/4* WR-North Carolina

Tee Higgins/5* WR-Tennessee

Amari Rodgers/4* WR-Tennessee

Justyn Ross/4* WR-Alabama

Mitch Hyatt/5* LT-Georgia

John Simpson/4* LG-South Carolina

Justin Falcinelli/3* OC-Maryland

Gage Cervenka/3* RG-South Carolina

Tremayne Anchrum/3* RT-Georgia

Richard Milan/4* TE-Georgia

CLEMSON DEFENSE

Clelin Ferrell/4* DE-Virginia

Christian Wilkins/5* DT-Massachusetts

Albert Huggins/4* DT-South Carolina

Austin Bryant/4* DE-Georgia

Isaiah Simmons/3*SLB-Kansas 

Tre Lamar/4* MLB-Georgia

Kendall Joseph/3* ILB-South Carolina

AJ Terrell/4* CB-Georgia

K'Von Wallace/3* SS-Virginia

Tanner Muse/3* FS-North Carolina

Trayvon Mullen/4* CB-Florida

CLEMSON SPECIAL TEAMS

Will Spiers/P-South Carolina

Greg Huegel/PK-South Carolina

Patrick Phibbs/LS-Pennsylvania (walk-on)

BT Potter/3* KO-South Carolina

6 hours ago, FL_HS_football said:

Convince me that Clemson wins last night's game with someone other than 2018 #1 over-all ranked HS player Trevor Lawrence  at QB, who happens to be from Georgia?

True, that young man looks to be an early version of a future NFL standout. He "seems" to have all the mental and physical capabilities needed to be successful. The true freshman never "appeared" rattled. Time will tell..... 

There is a difference between Florida possibly being the deepest state when it comes to athletic depth and having the best coaching and top end players position by position. Other states have players with stars, but don't have all the athletes that Florida High Schools have without stars who might not turn into a great college player, but is still a hell of an athlete.

36 minutes ago, blystr2002 said:

There is a difference between Florida possibly being the deepest state when it comes to athletic depth and having the best coaching and top end players position by position. Other states have players with stars, but don't have all the athletes that Florida High Schools have without stars who might not turn into a great college player, but is still a hell of an athlete.

Proportionately speaking, there are several Southern states, Hawaii and American Samoa(see stats on Samoan players in the NFL) that are at least as deep as Florida in terms of talent.  With the exception of southeast FL, the state of Florida as a whole is not terribly special compared to the aforementioned places.  We have athletic " black holes" in Florida.

Proportionately speaking, I would bet that the percentage of good/very good, unrated kids in states like Alabama and Mississippi s greater than Florida because ...

• their population sizes are dwarfed by Florida's,
  • those states do not have the reputation of Florida so kids don't get as much love from the rating services
  • they do not have nearly as many "big" schools with the accompanying big names on the national scene

Alabama is a great example of a team that historically has picked up a number of "no name" kids from within the state.  A while back I did a thread that demonstrated how Texas blows Florida away on the elite sprinting scene.  

There are places in Alabama and Mississippi that will remind one of the Muck...and are loaded with "no name" talent.  If one has never lived in the backwoods of the South, it is hard for one to appreciate what I am saying.  

12 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Proportionately speaking, there are several Southern states, Hawaii and American Samoa(see stats on Samoan players in the NFL) that are at least as deep as Florida in terms of talent.  With the exception of southeast FL, the state of Florida as a whole is not terribly special compared to the aforementioned places.  We have athletic " black holes" in Florida.

Proportionately speaking, I would bet that the percentage of good/very good, unrated kids in states like Alabama and Mississippi s greater than Florida because ...

• their population sizes are dwarfed by Florida's,
  • those states do not have the reputation of Florida so kids don't get as much love from the rating services
  • they do not have nearly as many "big" schools with the accompanying big names on the national scene

Alabama is a great example of a team that historically has picked up a number of "no name" kids from within the state.  A while back I did a thread that demonstrated how Texas blows Florida away on the elite sprinting scene.  

There are places in Alabama and Mississippi that will remind one of the Muck...and are loaded with "no name" talent.  If one has never lived in the backwoods of the South, it is hard for one to appreciate what I am saying.  

I was speaking more to the fact that not all, but many people from Florida tend to act like the top talent in many states isn't equal or close to Florida when they are. Have top Florida talent is great, but not necessary. They just don't have the number of athletes that we do or depth.  Proportionately, you are 100% correct. I am saying more just down right overall numbers though.

1 hour ago, blystr2002 said:

I was speaking more to the fact that not all, but many people from Florida tend to act like the top talent in many states isn't equal or close to Florida when they are. Have top Florida talent is great, but not necessary. They just don't have the number of athletes that we do or depth.  Proportionately, you are 100% correct. I am saying more just down right overall numbers though.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/4/18/15340728/recruits-per-state-ncaa-map

https://articles.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2016/09/which_states_produce_the_most.amp

https://articles.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2014/09/louisiana_has_the_most_players.amp

FL is top overall in NFL players produced and most D1 players produced And And is still pretty high in per captia 

Not saying no one comes close but FL can hold their own talent wise with any state

What is holding Florida back in terms of offering the "complete package" of recruiting talent to colleges?  ...offensive linemen and quarterbacks.  I've done threads about this in the past.  It's a bit like bragging about your fancy new jeans, but they have a hole in each leg.  Considering the population size of Florida and the outrageous talent produced at other positions, the gaps at these two positions are glaring.  

Florida produces some very good linemen, but even some of our better ones struggle to find a starting spot at the Power 5 colleges.  This past season, no offensive linemen from Miami-Dade, Palm Beach or Hillsborough counties served as a starter at any Power 5 schools outside Florida. Orange County had 1.  The same can be said for FL quarterbacks.

Although it may not produce the sheer number of talented recruits as Florida, Georgia is arguably a more well-rounded recruiting ground in terms of finding talent at all of the positions.  Georgia is heavily recruited for linemen and had offensive linemen starting at Power 5 universities in 11 different states, including California and Oregon.

On 1/9/2019 at 11:37 AM, 181pl said:

The last title team was full of them. Deon Cain and Ray Ray McCloud from Tampa. Plant's Jake Fruhmorgan was on the 2015 team that lost to Bama in the title game but then transferred out.

Plant's Will Putnam just committed. 

And I won a bet with an Fsu homer who was convinced Will would choose the lowly semis over powerhouse Clemson.:lol:

Stevie Wonder saw where that recruitment was headed, just like Fruhm.

21 hours ago, 181pl said:

don't know for sure, but I hear that FSU was still his choice. But he was pushed the Clemson by outside influences

Be careful 181 that can mean a whole lot of things.:ph34r:

Was Fruhm "pushed" their by the same influences? How about Ray Ray, Deon Cain, TJ?

Clemson Tiger prints are firmly planted in Hillsborough Co, no pun intended.