In 1999, Crescent City beat St John's(Ocala) 98-14

In 1973, University Christian beat Victory Christian of Jacksonville 130-0

Man those teams definitely ran the score up

You have to be trying to score 80+ points to do so, it don't just happen lol

an article about Chaminade's win, which I believe made national news

florida HS football team has to defend winning 83-0

Uploaded 09/16/2009

lookin around for a topic to write on i found this absurd gem:

He can explain that three of the touchdowns came on returns. And that a blocked punt brought a fourth.

He can offer that his team threw just one pass in the second half. One that was played with backups and with a running clock throughout.

He can even reveal that his team lost to this very opponent just a year ago.

But in a high school landscape increasingly aware of sportsmanship issues - one where quick harsh judgments are made based solely on a score - Chaminade-Madonna football coach Tim Tyrrell knows he has a tough time explaining how his Hollywood, Fla., team rolled to victory over Pompano Beach last week.

83-0.

"We did not go into the game looking to score that many points,'' he said, "and a lot of them came in bunches and off big plays.

"We only had one real drive; the rest came on short fields."

The Lions scored on a blocked punt, and two interceptions directly set up short touchdowns. Then to open the second half, senior Demitri Beal took the kickoff back 99 yards.

The defense also forced four more turnovers on the night.

The question then becomes when is enough enough? Chaminade-Madonna tied the Broward County record for margin of victory, a mark first established in 1951.

Gary Pigott, the senior director of athletics for the Florida High School Athletics Association, said there have been rules changes to help reduce the scoring opportunities - and thus avoid games such as these.

"About four years ago we switched from an optional running clock to a mandatory running clock for the mercy rule," Pigott said.

"It used to be optional, and the team who was behind had to request the clock. Some coaches thought that signified that they had given up on their team. We wanted to take that ethical problem away as best we could."

Pompano Beach coach Greg McGirt, reached by phone this week, did not want to discuss the game.

"I don't really want to talk about it,'' he said. "You might want to talk to my athletic director."

Athletic director Vince Stevenson didn't return phone calls.

A parent of a player, however, was more than willing to share his thoughts.

Ray Foster, whose son plays for Pompano Beach, said it was embarrassing to see his son's team beat by such a wide margin.

"I am sure we take it harder than they do," Foster said. "But it is humiliating to read the box score; it just doesn't seem right."

And that may be for parents on both sides. Foster said parents of the Chaminade-Madonna team - sitting close by at a field that had just one set of stands - did not applaud their team's final scores, the last of which came in the fourth quarter.

"It was weird. We were all sitting on the same side of the field," Foster said. "Their fans were a little embarrassed by it, too. They stopped clapping by the fourth quarter."

Tyrrell, in his second year as coach at Chaminade-Madonna, said he has to do right by his team.

"I can not tell kids who do not get a chance to play to go in and not try,'' he said. "To not get better. To not work hard."

And Tyrell points out all his starters were out of the game at halftime, following a 42-point second quarter.

"If I pull my first team too early they will not be ready for the games that are coming up on our schedule,'' Tyrrell said. "It is my job to get this team ready."

That schedule includes perennial power Miami Monsignor Pace and 2008 Class 2A state runner-up Miami Gulliver Prep.

Last season Monsignor Pace bettered Chaminade-Madonna 41-0, and four other schools also broke the 40-point barrier against the Lions.

It was something Tyrrell said his team had to learn from.

"We had a lot of tough games, but we have to learn to win or lose with class," Tyrrell said.

"Whether we are up 60 or down 60 we have to work hard. We have to coach hard."

That may be easier said on the plus side of the 83-0 score.

And as Pigott points out, "What goes around comes around."

10 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

an article about Chaminade's win, which I believe made national news

florida HS football team has to defend winning 83-0

Uploaded 09/16/2009

lookin around for a topic to write on i found this absurd gem:

He can explain that three of the touchdowns came on returns. And that a blocked punt brought a fourth.

He can offer that his team threw just one pass in the second half. One that was played with backups and with a running clock throughout.

He can even reveal that his team lost to this very opponent just a year ago.

But in a high school landscape increasingly aware of sportsmanship issues - one where quick harsh judgments are made based solely on a score - Chaminade-Madonna football coach Tim Tyrrell knows he has a tough time explaining how his Hollywood, Fla., team rolled to victory over Pompano Beach last week.

83-0.

"We did not go into the game looking to score that many points,'' he said, "and a lot of them came in bunches and off big plays.

"We only had one real drive; the rest came on short fields."

The Lions scored on a blocked punt, and two interceptions directly set up short touchdowns. Then to open the second half, senior Demitri Beal took the kickoff back 99 yards.

The defense also forced four more turnovers on the night.

The question then becomes when is enough enough? Chaminade-Madonna tied the Broward County record for margin of victory, a mark first established in 1951.

Gary Pigott, the senior director of athletics for the Florida High School Athletics Association, said there have been rules changes to help reduce the scoring opportunities - and thus avoid games such as these.

"About four years ago we switched from an optional running clock to a mandatory running clock for the mercy rule," Pigott said.

"It used to be optional, and the team who was behind had to request the clock. Some coaches thought that signified that they had given up on their team. We wanted to take that ethical problem away as best we could."

Pompano Beach coach Greg McGirt, reached by phone this week, did not want to discuss the game.

"I don't really want to talk about it,'' he said. "You might want to talk to my athletic director."

Athletic director Vince Stevenson didn't return phone calls.

A parent of a player, however, was more than willing to share his thoughts.

Ray Foster, whose son plays for Pompano Beach, said it was embarrassing to see his son's team beat by such a wide margin.

"I am sure we take it harder than they do," Foster said. "But it is humiliating to read the box score; it just doesn't seem right."

And that may be for parents on both sides. Foster said parents of the Chaminade-Madonna team - sitting close by at a field that had just one set of stands - did not applaud their team's final scores, the last of which came in the fourth quarter.

"It was weird. We were all sitting on the same side of the field," Foster said. "Their fans were a little embarrassed by it, too. They stopped clapping by the fourth quarter."

Tyrrell, in his second year as coach at Chaminade-Madonna, said he has to do right by his team.

"I can not tell kids who do not get a chance to play to go in and not try,'' he said. "To not get better. To not work hard."

And Tyrell points out all his starters were out of the game at halftime, following a 42-point second quarter.

"If I pull my first team too early they will not be ready for the games that are coming up on our schedule,'' Tyrrell said. "It is my job to get this team ready."

That schedule includes perennial power Miami Monsignor Pace and 2008 Class 2A state runner-up Miami Gulliver Prep.

Last season Monsignor Pace bettered Chaminade-Madonna 41-0, and four other schools also broke the 40-point barrier against the Lions.

It was something Tyrrell said his team had to learn from.

"We had a lot of tough games, but we have to learn to win or lose with class," Tyrrell said.

"Whether we are up 60 or down 60 we have to work hard. We have to coach hard."

That may be easier said on the plus side of the 83-0 score.

And as Pigott points out, "What goes around comes around."

Wow I guess it is possible to unintentionally score 80 points lol

Based on what I read there it doesn't seem like chaminade was running the score up

Really if your scoring with backups on their starters and have 1 pass in entire second half I couldn't see that as running the score up, the other team just was outmatched and couldn't stop them 

Manatee had a 83-0 win against either Northeast HS or Dixie Hollins in the mid 80's that prompted officials from Pinellas county officials to petition the FHSAA to remove Manatee HS from that District. Manatee along with Sarasota and Riverview were routinely putting major beatings on the Pinellas County teams during that time period. The FHSAA complied with the request and subsequently put Manatee in the Polk County District. There was no running clock at that point, lot of questions were raised about why Manatee was so much better than pinellas county teams. I do however remember Tarpon Springs, Dunedin, and Largo HS having some decent teams at different points.....but for the most part the simple truth was Pinellas County just sucked.

On 1/9/2019 at 4:30 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I'm curious of this topic and seeing what were some of biggest blowouts on both ends by top programs in the state both regular season and playoffs

If anyone can list some blowouts it would help me with compiling the list, I'll try searching for some as well

2004 North Port defeats Freedom High 96-0