FHSAA let football teams move

badbird

Now 8A 15 is a 3 team district.  

these are the changes they allowed.  I guess no appeals means some appeals.  

Gibbs 6A D8 5A D12 Misreported non-traditional student count, enrollment should be 1,186
Hollywood Hills NA 6A D15 Mistakenly left off original assignment, enrollment is 1,905
American Heritage (Delray) 4A R4 4A R3 Had incorrect address used on original assignment
Village Academy NA Independent Notified FHSAA in January they were fielding a football team
Miami Coral Park 8A D15 Independent Requested independence after original commitment
Umatilla Independent 4A R2 Mistakenly committed to independent status
Atlantic (Port Orange) 5A D6 5A D9 Incorrect placement by FHSAA; corrected
Braddock 8A D15 Independent Requested independence after original commitment
Hollywood Christian NA Independent Notified FHSAA in January they were fielding a football team
Dunedin 5A D12 Independent Requested independence after original commitment

10 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

8A teams should not be allowed to be independent. If you are that big and can't compete just drop the sport. 

It begs the question "Why can't they compete?"  We are not talking just a few larger schools here that are struggling.  And note that many that are struggling are in metro areas where their better athletes often leave for greener pastures.  There has got to be a better answer than just dropping the sport.  We are at a very unique time in hs football and need to think outside the box.  There should be a place for not-so-good teams and "average" players in our game.  

46 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

It begs the question "Why can't they compete?"  We are not talking just a few larger schools here that are struggling.  And note that many that are struggling are in metro areas where their better athletes often leave for greener pastures.  There has got to be a better answer than just dropping the sport.  We are at a very unique time in hs football and need to think outside the box.  There should be a place for not-so-good teams and "average" players in our game.  

I feel like there was an idea floated not long ago about having almost like a D-1, D-2, and D-3 group of teams (I may be incorrect so don't beat me up too badly haha). But, the idea I remember was something along the lines of having like 120 of the best, top-tier teams in one "conference" in order to make a State Champion have to go through elite talent. Then, another conference of a similar number of schools that would allow them to play for state titles too. If you want to get rid of mediocrity, something like that would be a way because more schools could claim a title. It gives more teams something to play for, which should help drive numbers because kids feel like they could have an award for their time. Am I crazy or did that idea actually exist somewhere?

That being said, I can see a scenario where kids still want to transfer to the top tier programs because every kid is D-1 now. 

24 minutes ago, Coach said:

I feel like there was an idea floated not long ago about having almost like a D-1, D-2, and D-3 group of teams (I may be incorrect so don't beat me up too badly haha). But, the idea I remember was something along the lines of having like 120 of the best, top-tier teams in one "conference" in order to make a State Champion have to go through elite talent. Then, another conference of a similar number of schools that would allow them to play for state titles too. If you want to get rid of mediocrity, something like that would be a way because more schools could claim a title. It gives more teams something to play for, which should help drive numbers because kids feel like they could have an award for their time. Am I crazy or did that idea actually exist somewhere?

That being said, I can see a scenario where kids still want to transfer to the top tier programs because every kid is D-1 now. 

That's a really interesting concept.  We also need to think about player safety.  Not too long ago, the range of body weights and speeds on the playing field was nothing like today.  We pick on parents today for being overly protective, but they have a very legitimate concern about their 150-pound, asthmatic kid getting hit by a 6'2" 230-pound linebacker who runs a 4.6 40.

We would not dream of allowing such disparities on the wrestling mat, yet for some reason we think it OK to allow a kid weighing upwards of 200 pounds more than another kid to hit him and/or fall on him on the football field.  We wanted a game of freaks, and now we got it.  And now we have a big safety problem because of it.  This has nothing to do with "being tough."  That is neanderthal thinking and we need to wake up.     

There is a reason beyond sour grapes as to why St Frances in Maryland had the rug pulled out from under them by their traditional opponents.  Parents felt like their kids were playing a college team.   I think there is a subset of parents who would support their kids playing in hs if they knew their kids could play with others of similar body proportions and talent.  99% of kids out there are not FBS-quality.  There's a huge pool of kids that are potentially being excluded from the hs game today.  Imagine a parent watching one of these ESPN high schools games today.  Can you blame them for not considering football as a sport for their "average" son?  

2 hours ago, SportsNut25 said:

Looked over the list and didn't see any appeals on the list. Only thing I see is schools corrected some FHSAA errors, while other schools opted not to seek a state championship. 

corrected errors even a bigger problem.  Isn't someone getting paid to get it right.  Did they not double triple check it.  Kind of like the new point system.  They just hope its right instead of checking it

4 minutes ago, JAG said:

Most of these errors (possibly all of them) were not the FHSAA's fault.  So, can't blame them for doing the right thing.

Gibbs 6A D8 5A D12

Misreported non-traditional student count, enrollment should be 1,186

Hollywood Hills NA 6A D15 Mistakenly left off original assignment, enrollment is 1,905
American Heritage (Delray) 4A R4 4A R3 Had incorrect address used on original assignment
Village Academy NA Independent Notified FHSAA in January they were fielding a football team
Miami Coral Park 8A D15 Independent Requested independence after original commitment
Hollywood Christian NA Independent Notified FHSAA in January they were fielding a football team

American Heritage FHSAA's fault for not knowing address, change really doesn't hurt anyone

Atlantic really Fhsaa double check your work.  The right move for the sake of Atlantic but you just made everyone in the other district scramble to find a  game.  Double check your work or be more careful and this doesn't happen.

Miami Coral park, Bradock, Dunedin don't let them go independent make them stay in a district.  Especially the two teams in the same district that made it a 3 team district.

Gibbs fault keep them where they are.  

the rest of the schools don't matter on the changes.  hurts no one.

20 hours ago, badbird said:

Now 8A 15 is a 3 team district.  

these are the changes they allowed.  I guess no appeals means some appeals.  

Gibbs 6A D8 5A D12 Misreported non-traditional student count, enrollment should be 1,186

You know damn well the fhsaa can't stop a school from declaring independent

If they could force schools to play anywhere they wouldn't have always been forced into accepting appeals in the first place for a few whiny schools who can't handle a real district or a little travel 

19 minutes ago, badbird said:
Gibbs 6A D8 5A D12

Misreported non-traditional student count, enrollment should be 1,186

American Heritage FHSAA's fault for not knowing address, change really doesn't hurt anyone

Atlantic really Fhsaa double check your work.  The right move for the sake of Atlantic but you just made everyone in the other district scramble to find a  game.  Double check your work or be more careful and this doesn't happen.

Miami Coral park, Bradock, Dunedin don't let them go independent make them stay in a district.  Especially the two teams in the same district that made it a 3 team district.

Gibbs fault keep them where they are.  

the rest of the schools don't matter on the changes.  hurts no one.

If it was as simple as forcing a team from being allowed to go independent then the fhsaa could actually fix the issues with the classes

Hell I could come up with something great if I didn't have to worry about what complaints the teams would have

Come on Bad Birdy, your better than this

23 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

If it was as simple as forcing a team from being allowed to go independent then the fhsaa could actually fix the issues with the classes

Hell I could come up with something great if I didn't have to worry about what complaints the teams would have

Come on Bad Birdy, your better than this

they gave the teams a deadline to apply to be independent.  They missed it.  Why can't we hold people accountable.  Oh yeah I remember people bitch and we CAVE IN.  Pussification of America.  Hold them accountable.  make them stay in a district.  They missed the deadline.

27 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

You know damn well the fhsaa can't stop a school from declaring independent

If they could force schools to play anywhere they wouldn't have always been forced into accepting appeals in the first place for a few whiny schools who can't handle a real district or a little travel 

they said no appeals.  Stick by what you said.  Also do a better job

2 minutes ago, badbird said:

they gave the teams a deadline to apply to be independent.  They missed it.  Why can't we hold people accountable.  Oh yeah I remember people bitch and we CAVE IN.  Pussification of America.  Hold them accountable.  make them stay in a district.  They missed the deadline.

Where did you see anything about them passing the deadline?

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Where did you see anything about them passing the deadline?

Requested independence after original commitment

you have to turn in your request to be independent or not.  It was before they did the districts for football so this wouldn't happen

Just now, badbird said:

Requested independence after original commitment

you have to turn in your request to be independent or not.  It was before they did the districts for football so this wouldn't happen

So the deadline to go independent was before schools were even placed in districts?

Can't say I blame that idea but remember, the fhsaa came out and basically told teams if they didn't like their placement their option was go independent

They let them have a out

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

So the deadline to go independent was before schools were even placed in districts?

Can't say I blame that idea but remember, the fhsaa came out and basically told teams if they didn't like their placement their option was go independent

They let them have a out

and now we are stuck with a 3 team district.  F....... brilliant

• 2 weeks later...

The main issue in 8 A is that the enrollment disparity can be quite large between the bottom end and top end of 8A. A school with 3800 playing a school with 2400 should have an advantage with 1400 more kids. i know enrollment size does not equal success on the football field , but with the dropping numbers of players, it cant hurt. Between CTE and negative press , moms are switching their sons to laX. 

I am surprised some of the low end 8 a schools did not drop out to indy.