Who Are These Coaches?

OldSchoolLion

6 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Jack Daniels of Dwyer is retiring after 23 seasons.  He lead them to 2 state titles.  Only a handful of active FL hs coaches have spent 23 seasons at their current school AND appeared in at least one state title game.  Name them and the school where they coach.

Bill Castle of Lakeland is the obvious one

How many others are there to name?

Extra Credit: Jack Daniels of Dwyer, Joe Zachheo of Monsignor Pace, and Chris Merritt of Columbus have all moved on.  That is a huge hit for South Florida coaching.  At this time, which active HC in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties has more tenure at their school than any other?  The coach I am thinking of did not spend all of those years continuously, ie there was a time he left and returned.

57 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Extra Credit: Jack Daniels of Dwyer, Joe Zachheo of Monsignor Pace, and Chris Merritt of Columbus have all moved on.  That is a huge hit for South Florida coaching.  At this time, which active HC in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties has more tenure at their school than any other?  The coach I am thinking of did not spend all of those years continuously, ie there was a time he left and returned.

With Daniels out, Brian Dodds at Park Vista now has the longest active tenure in Palm Beach County.

Not many left. With the departures of Sean Callahan at Armwood, Corky Rogers at Bolles, and of course George Smith at STA, other than Castle and Garcia, I can't think of any. The old timers are gone. Joe Kinnan and Paul Maechtle (out of retirement and coaching Cardinal Mooney) also come to mind. 

Castle and Garcia were easy, but I can't think of even one more.  

9 minutes ago, 181pl said:

Not many left. With the departures of Sean Callahan at Armwood, Corky Rogers at Bolles, and of course George Smith at STA, other than Castle and Garcia, I can't think of any. The old timers are gone. Joe Kinnan and Paul Maechtle (out of retirement and coaching Cardinal Mooney) also come to mind. 

Castle and Garcia were easy, but I can't think of even one more.  

Thanks for trying!  There is also a fellow in north FL  who has won a bunch of state titles, but for whatever reason his name does not seem to get mentioned that frequently with the names you mention above.   

20 minutes ago, Tigers13 said:

Dan Burke    Palm Bay

Dan Burke of Palm Bay is one of them!  Some highlights from his football career.

• 23 seasons as coach at Palm Bay High School.  Began in 1996.
  • 2000 6A state champion(nationally ranked) and 2002 4A state champion.
  • 10 region title appearances and 5 region titles.
  • 35-19 record in the playoffs.  Made the playoffs 21 out of 23 seasons.
  • 2010 Florida Dairy Farmers Class 6A State Coach of the Year 
  • Burke was an offensive lineman (center and tackle) at UCF.  He was an AP Honorable Mention All-American in 1981.  
  • He signed with the USFL in 1984 and did several stints.
  • Burke was born in Melbourne, FL and graduated from Eau Gallie High School.

1. Bill Castle/Lakeland-43 seasons-7 state titles

2. Verlon Dorminey/Trinity Christian-28 seasons-7 state titles

3. Earl Garcia/Hillsborough-26 seasons-1 state final appearance

4. Dan Burke/Palm Bay-23 seasons-2 state titles 

5. Marty Lee/First Coast-22 seasons-1 state final appearance

6. Bill Kramer/Naples-21 seasons-2 state titles

7. Binky Waldrop/Charlotte-20 seasons-no state final appearances 

8. Darrell Sutherland/Bartram Trail-19 seasons-1 state title appearance

9.(tie) Jim Buckridge/Timber Creek-18 seasons-no state final appearances

10.(tie) Matt Hedrick/Bishop Moore-17 seasons-1 state title

10.(tie) Fort Myers-Sam Sirianni Jr-17 seasons-no state final appearances

10.(tie) Sandalwood-Adam Geis-17 seasons-no state final appearances

Please let me know if I am missing someone!

Time for my soapbox moment...while we are picking at lint over how to select teams for the playoffs, the building is on fire.  Over the past 25 years, we have lost an incredible number of tenured coaches to retirement or who have moved on to greener pastures in college or hs ball in other states.  A lot of knowledge is walking out the door and potentially lost forever.  We have some counties where the vast majority of coaches have only 2 or less years at their schools     

This knowledge drain and player safety are by far our biggest issues. 

12 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

1. Bill Castle/Lakeland-43 seasons-7 state titles

2. Verlon Dorminey/Trinity Christian-28 seasons-7 state titles

3. Earl Garcia/Hillsborough-26 seasons-1 state final appearance

4. Dan Burke/Palm Bay-23 seasons-2 state titles 

5. Marty Lee/First Coast-22 seasons-1 state final appearance

6. Bill Kramer/Naples-21 seasons-2 state titles

7. Binky Waldrop/Charlotte-20 seasons-no state final appearances 

8. Darrell Sutherland/Bartram Trail-19 seasons-1 state title

9.(tie) John Hicks/Niceville-18 seasons-2 state final appearances

9.(tie) Jim Buckridge/Timber Creek-18 seasons-no state final appearances

11.(tie) Matt Hedrick/Bishop Moore-17 seasons-1 state title

11.(tie) Fort Myers-Sam Sirianni Jr-17 seasons-no state final appearances

11.(tie) Sandalwood-Adam Geis-17 seasons-no state final appearances

Please let me know if I am missing someone!

Hicks retired this off-season

Also Sutherland has a title appearance but lost

6 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Time for my soapbox moment...while we are picking at lint over how to select teams for the playoffs, the building is on fire.  Over the past 25 years, we have lost an incredible number of tenured coaches to retirement or who have moved on to greener pastures in college or hs ball in other states.  A lot of knowledge is walking out the door and potentially lost forever.  We have some counties where the vast majority of coaches have only 2 or less years at their schools     

This knowledge drain and player safety are by far our biggest issues. 

I'll put you on the spot

We see so few long tenured coaches in the state right now, do you think the ones who eventually can find a way to keep a coach a decade or longer will slowly jump the other schools that keep losing coaches even in talent rich areas?

Like look at Bolles for example, they were in decline even when corky was still there and now they will have 3rd coach in 4 years

Some in Jacksonville thought they may get a home run hire but I just don't see Bolles having the same attraction of a program as it once did, it feels like schools in Duval and St John's are passing them by and they aren't going to be able to right the ship

That is one example of what many we may see when the above schools have their coach eventually leave or retire so if coaching stability has a huge impact (which I do think so) we should see the schools who somehow keep their coaches in the building slowly climb higher and higher into the top of the food chain right?

6 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

We see so few long tenured coaches in the state right now, do you think the ones who eventually can find a way to keep a coach a decade or longer will slowly jump the other schools that keep losing coaches even in talent rich areas?

Great question...and a very difficult one.  There are just so many variables today, ie transfers, I think it is more challenging to correlate coaching tenure with success.  In more rural places, a coach could really build a successful program in 5-10 years if he reaches out to the community and sells the program. I could see coaching tenure really having an advantage at a place like that, with parents and kids wanting the kids to play for him.  

In a hotbed area like Dade or Broward, even if a coach stayed 10 years at one of the currently marginal programs, I am not sure he could ever catch up with the traditional powerhouses...at least not with the dynamics today. Loyalty seems to have gone out the window in such places.  And I am not so sure the kids/parents are as concerned with who the coach is compared to the "brand" of the school...and how that brand might get them a scholarship.  

I've shown in other posts how so many of the programs in Broward County get their better players picked off by the powerhouse programs each season.   Steve Davis at Plantation is a good example...13 seasons there and he loses 23-0 to Deerfield in the playoffs last season...a poster child for coaching turnover over the years.  Coaching goes a long way, but at some point raw talent on the field starts to outweigh the coaching factor.