Who Is This FL HS Football Legend? Don Latimer

OldSchoolLion

This player is considered by many to be one of the most dominating defensive ends of all time in FHSAA history.  He played on an undefeated state championship team and was a 3-time All-State selection in HS, where he also played tight end.  While at the University of Miami, he was the Hurricanes’ sack leader and earned All-American honors.  He played for the Denver Broncos in the NFL.

Who is he and where did he play in high school?
Image may contain: 1 person, playing a sport and outdoor

11 hours ago, Perspective said:

Don Latimer.  Fort Pierce Central.  ?

4 hours ago, FL_HS_football said:

I believe you are correct, was going to be my guess as well!

It is Don Latimer, Fort Pierce Central Class of 1973.  He played on FPC's 1971 4A state championship team.  He set a Canes record with 15 sacks in his senior year(1977).  He played in the 1978 Blue-Gray game and the Senior Bowl, and was named a first team All-American by The Sporting News.  Latimer was a first round draft pick of the Denver Broncos and played 6 seasons in the NFL.  He was elected to the Hurricanes Sports Hall of Fame in 1999.

Great job, Perspective!

Don Latimer

I just want to say the classic 60s and 70s photos of football players doing some weird move are so much better than photos we get today of athletes. Almost every photo of a player today, is them is a tight dryfit shirt from some recruiting camp with a triple digit number. They stand next to a brick/block wall or in front of a white screen. Either way they are always the same. 

Sure we get game action shots today, but in football when you can barely see their faces, it could be anybody. No personality. I demand every yearbook editor/coach/principal/local newspaper editor fix this immediately. 

8 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

I just want to say the classic 60s and 70s photos of football players doing some weird move are so much better than photos we get today of athletes. Almost every photo of a player today, is them is a tight dryfit shirt from some recruiting camp with a triple digit number. They stand next to a brick/block wall or in front of a white screen. Either way they are always the same. 

Sure we get game action shots today, but in football when you can barely see their faces, it could be anybody. No personality. I demand every yearbook editor/coach/principal/local newspaper editor fix this immediately. 

Great post...completely agree.  The key word there is "personality."  So many of the photos today are about advertisement/promotion...not really about the individual or the team he plays for.    

8 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Great post...completely agree.  The key word there is "personality."  So many of the photos today are about advertisement/promotion...not really about the individual or the team he plays for.    

Any idea where I might be able to find a bunch of the "old school" pictures in one place? 

James Laughead (July 21, 1909 – 1978)[citation needed] was a photographer whose style defined the art of posed sports photography.[1] He developed techniques for posing athletes to appear as if they were in action.[2][3][4] He coined the term "huck 'n' buck" to describe the style.[5] His photos appeared in Life and in Sports Illustrated. His style was of posing players was often imitated, and influenced many of the sports photographers of his era.

OK, follow-up question time:  would anyone other than a few old, diehard fans, enjoy seeing the throwback style in 2019?  If so, where?  In a game-day program? 

From the link, it looks like Penn State did a 'throwback' program or media guide recently.   Would it work today at the high school level. 

Asking for a friend.   B)

1 minute ago, Perspective said:

OK, follow-up question time:  would anyone other than a few old, diehard fans, enjoy seeing the throwback style in 2019?  If so, where?  In a game-day program? 

From the link, it looks like Penn State did a 'throwback' program or media guide recently.   Would it work today at the high school level. 

Just a general statement....some hs teams have drastically changed their uniforms over the years.  In some cases, the uniforms do not even reflect the traditional colors of the school, ie using one shade of blue versus another.  I think it would be good for kids to know the history of their school colors.  They might be shocked to know what was worn many years ago and how things have changed over the years.      

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

I was thinking about doing that for Robinson this year, but not even time and not enough organization :(