Lack of attendance in high school basketball finals/it should be held at home team gym instead.

THIS_IS_DILLARD

4 minutes ago, Phfootball9 said:

I think someone actually looked at the results and decided not to share them. I wonder why.

I got to see our region, only significant change would have been Bartram Trail in playoffs instead of Oakleaf and that would have been our first round opponent instead of Fletcher

What sucks about the RPI is unlike the point system I'll have to actually wait for fhsaa to release it each week

On the point system I was actually able to figure out how to chart it and know where we were at as well as a few key teams

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

If you think the new transfer rules suddenly caused metros to start having a bunch of transfers left and right than you are clearly past your prime 

Those metros have had transfers going back before most the people on this board were born

What you don't seem to get is the transfers impact the community getting behind football. I have witnessed it in the panhandle. There are schools with history that have less than half the crowds they used to have. They have no connection to the kids.

As to your love affair with the rankings in all honesty you have less control over it than you think. Out in the panhandle for example the districts got bigger your rpi is going to be what it is. The system still does not account for the classification of the schools you are playing.  The new system can be gamed jus lIke the point system. There are going to be either panhandle or south Florida teams that can never host a semi and there will be nothing that they can to to change that.

First, transfers happen, but if you think in the 80s and 90s transfers were happening on the same level that it is today (metro or suburban), you are kidding yourself. Transfers happened, but nowhere near the ungodly level that it happens for football and basketball today. As OldSchoolLion, C-M had 20+ kids on the team that were transfers, I seriously doubt any of Suwannee's 80-90s state championship teams had that many.

Second, RPI/MaxPreps hasn't been used in Florida yet. We used the playoff point system, which didn't produce any better of a product and left us with a WINLESS team in the playoff. Yep, much better system that playoff point system ::rolls eyes::  Heck, for most sports/districts, they still use a pre-determined host for the district tournament (not based off who had the best district record). 

Seeding is going to be dreadful when we get to other sports, don't believe me? Go look at the volleyball classifications. We will make it simple for you 6A. Region 1 schools: Tate High School to New Smyrna Beach High School is a 6:45 drive for potentially a first round playoff game. Yep, seeding an entire region makes perfect sense. Rather than play a close runner-up, then the winner (the runner-ups district champion or your district runner-up) before you have to really travel. 

34 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

First, transfers happen, but if you think in the 80s and 90s transfers were happening on the same level that it is today (metro or suburban), you are kidding yourself. Transfers happened, but nowhere near the ungodly level that it happens for football and basketball today. As OldSchoolLion, C-M had 20+ kids on the team that were transfers, I seriously doubt any of Suwannee's 80-90s state championship teams had that many.

Second, RPI/MaxPreps hasn't been used in Florida yet. We used the playoff point system, which didn't produce any better of a product and left us with a WINLESS team in the playoff. Yep, much better system that playoff point system ::rolls eyes::  Heck, for most sports/districts, they still use a pre-determined host for the district tournament (not based off who had the best district record). 

Seeding is going to be dreadful when we get to other sports, don't believe me? Go look at the volleyball classifications. We will make it simple for you 6A. Region 1 schools: Tate High School to New Smyrna Beach High School is a 6:45 drive for potentially a first round playoff game. Yep, seeding an entire region makes perfect sense. Rather than play a close runner-up, then the winner (the runner-ups district champion or your district runner-up) before you have to really travel. 

Again I never claimed it was, but I guarantee you that in places like Jacksonville (who has always been very loose with player movement) has had teams with multiple transfers probably going back to the 50s and 60s

And no Suwannee probably only had a few transfers (probably as many as we get now or maybe slightly more) 

What I have a issue with is people who act like this new "school choice rule" suddenly caused schools like in Jacksonville for example to have a bunch of transfers when in reality that area has always had a pretty high percentage like other Metros of similar size (Jacksonville actually sometimes probably has a higher rate than some South FL areas but the only difference is that South FL is more transparent while the media in North Florida try to cover it up and pretend Jacksonville teams aren't recruiting when I can guarantee you they are) I actually have seen clear recruiting violations by Jacksonville schools but I doubt it is more than what we see in other metros

Only reason that happened is because we have a bunch of whiny teams who bitch and complain about their road being too hard and led to having regions where 50-70% of teams in region could make playoffs, if they had larger regions that wouldn't have happened

That's because it is up to the district teams during the meeting on how to decide hosting, starting next year it will be based on rankings 

Is this really any different than the people who want it to be possible for a Pensacola team to play a Miami team in the first round??

And the simple fact is if the 2 best teams are within a hour of each other than they shouldn't play in round 2 and create a anticlimactic regional finals

And a little travel is a small price to pay to actually have a logical and authentic seeding, I think it's stupid to have to constantly check every round and see what scenario would cause us to host/travel

I want to know by time brackets are set who we would host or travel to, if we aren't the best team than we deserve to have to travel but if we are best team in region than we have earned the right to host the regional playoffs

1 minute ago, gatorman-uf said:

You have obviously never had to do the budgets for a non-revenue sport. A 6:45 drive for a first round game where the home team will barely cover their expenses after all is said and done. Sorry, not acceptable.

Isn't the goal of the playoffs to have the best teams and matchups?

How can that be ensured if everyone is looking for the easiest travel? When travel is the main focus for a playoff format the competition of the games is what suffers

2 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

According to your logic, then we should send all non-district champion to the completely other side of the bracket. So Key West, sorry you are traveling to Pensacola so that you don't play the district champion.

No that would be insane and unnecessary since they aren't doing it by statewide seeding

Key West isn't gonna be in same region as panhandle teams

Also if there is a huge travel like that than maybe the fhsaa needs to set the regions up better (like New Smyrna Beach in region with panhandle teams)

No your suggestion is that the regional finals are boring if two good teams play against each other before the regional finals. I am taking that to the natural conclusion. If it boring to play 1 round before regional finals (where they are the two best teams) shouldn't even more boring that those teams aren't playing in the state championship.

Just imagine, Miami Northwestern and Miami Carol City playing in the 6A state championship instead of in a regional playoff game. Sure, that means that Miami Northwestern might have to travel to the panhandle to play it's first 4 rounds, but hey, travel doesn't matter.

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Also is this volleyball scenario you brought up based on the previous regions or the new regions they released a few months back??

New regions

2 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

No your suggestion is that the regional finals are boring if two good teams play against each other before the regional finals. I am taking that to the natural conclusion. If it boring to play 1 round before regional finals (where they are the two best teams) shouldn't even more boring that those teams aren't playing in the state championship.

Just imagine, Miami Northwestern and Miami Carol City playing in the 6A state championship instead of in a regional playoff game. Sure, that means that Miami Northwestern might have to travel to the panhandle to play it's first 4 rounds, but hey, travel doesn't matter.

New regions

I think you took a very long shot approach to what I said

I meant the best 2 in the region shouldn't play until regional finals

North vs South has worked for a long time and shouldn't be abandoned for a few bad years

4 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

But fair enough I can see where you have a argument there

My question is this, how many regions have potential games like that? Is that a outlier or is that kind of travel consistent across the board?

Class 7A Region 1 goes from Jax to Orlando
Class 6A Region 1 goes from Pensacola to New Smyrna Beach
Class 5A Region 1 goes from Pensacola Area to Daytona Beach (Seabreeze HS)
Class 4A Region 1 goes from Pensacola Area to Jacksonville

15 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Class 7A Region 1 goes from Jax to Orlando
Class 6A Region 1 goes from Pensacola to New Smyrna Beach
Class 5A Region 1 goes from Pensacola Area to Daytona Beach (Seabreeze HS)
Class 4A Region 1 goes from Pensacola Area to Jacksonville

Jacksonville to Orlando is about a 3 and half hour window

For a large school class that honestly isn't all that bad

The other 3 on other hand may be a issue

At the end of the day, it is HS basketball. Most people aren't traveling hours to watch that regardless of where you put it.  Not regular people that live by and went to the school who have jobs or kids of their own or teachers.  You have about 15 kids on each team. So if each kid gets a parent or two and siblings then add on some extra family members, the extreme fan (most schools don't have this), some teachers (Not even the majority would travel) and admin. That is what you are drawing.  That is only going to be a couple hundred no matter where you put it. So, who cares if the arena looks funny. At least it is neutral and both teams are traveling similar distances. It isn't like it is getting watched nationally and people are staring at the crown.  You are looking at the court if streaming a game or whatever.

23 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Jacksonville to Orlando is about a 3 and half hour window

For a large school class that honestly isn't all that bad

The other 3 on other hand may be a issue

7a region 1goes from the west side of pola to Jax down to Orlando. Three hours your not even half way. 

4 minutes ago, Phfootball9 said:

7a region 1goes from the west side of pola to Jax down to Orlando. Three hours your not even half way. 

I said Jacksonville to Orlando is about 3 hours

But yeah panhandle makes the stretch a lot longer, I have been to Pensacola before and it's 5 hours from Lake City so easily another hour for Jacksonville