Vero Beach schedule so far

Floridatech

15 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Your first quote was funny about Vero Beach never losing in the Citrus Bowl until you actually look at Vero's home record in the playoffs at the Citrus Bowl. Since 1990 season, Vero has gone 26-8 at home during the playoffs. They have made the playoffs 26 times since 1990 so that means most of their seasons do end on the road and not at home. 

As for calling Columbia "Elite" that is far from accurate. No state championships since 1967, only one state championship game since 1967, only twice in the state semis (besides 1997). For an "elite" team they always seem to lose to some up and coming team, Bartram, Lee, Viera, Navarre, and the list goes on.

Are they a top 30 consistently, absolutely. Are they a top 5 statewide team that can match up against the top teams nationwide every single year? No, they aren't. That isn't bring down Columbia, it just is an honest observation. The team has struggled to consistently beat Madison County in football (a public school that can't get the transfers the way the Urban schools can that is at most 750 students). An elite program shouldn't struggle in that way. Again, Columbia is a top ranked team, but elite has to mean something more than just being good. It has to mean being the best. 

Finally, stop pretending you have the power to make a home and home with any team happen. You aren't the coach, you aren't the AD, you aren't the principal. You might have suggest those things to coaches/ADs/principals, but that doesn't mean you have the power. 

Vero has a losing streak on the road in the playoffs dating back to 2003, we haven't looked good in the playoffs in  the 2000s while the teams that we've been playin for a lil while now have been flourishing in the playoffs in the 2000s era

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

If we aren't elite than perhaps the only truly elite team in the region is Trinity Christian

In terms of teams in the area than yes Columbia is elite because very few teams have been able to consistently stay at the top of the list of area teams and beat the teams we have 

I view Columbia as being similar to St Augustine as neither have a huge history of titles (1 title each)  but no public school in Northeast FL has been as consistently good as either of them

Only public in Duval with success that compares to these 2 would be Raines

Only privates would be Trinity and Bolles (UC as well but they have faced weak competition and usually get beat badily by the larger top schools in the area)

I guess you could say mainland as well if you feel Daytona is Northeast FL and Madison out to West as a consistent 1a school but in terms of this area who else really can come close to being considered elite

It's easy to be elite in somewhere like South Florida where talent pool is so deep but in terms of North FL it is few and far between

Also while I can't make games happen I was aware of what Columbia was looking for in games and I knew that Vero could secure a game with Columbia if they made the offer I alluded to 

Whether you believe it or not I'm not just some fool who knows nothing like some people here try to imply

Again, you don't have the power. Actually, your entire comment proves it by saying Vero would have to offer it. If you had real power then you would go up to the AD/Head Coach/Principal and tell them to call Vero for a game and they would otherwise, you are just a guy flapping his gums like the rest of us. 

As for your argument of Columbia being elite, you basically just defined the idea of "Big Fish, Small Pond". Columbia is bigger than almost every school around except for Buchholz and Gainesville. You struggled beating Madison until this year. You haven't played Lowndes or Valdosta in years (definitely within the area). You haven't dominated Lincoln at all. You are 2-5 against them in the playoffs since 2000. 

1 minute ago, gatorman-uf said:

Again, you don't have the power. Actually, your entire comment proves it by saying Vero would have to offer it. If you had real power then you would go up to the AD/Head Coach/Principal and tell them to call Vero for a game and they would otherwise, you are just a guy flapping his gums like the rest of us. 

As for your argument of Columbia being elite, you basically just defined the idea of "Big Fish, Small Pond". Columbia is bigger than almost every school around except for Buchholz and Gainesville. You struggled beating Madison until this year. You haven't played Lowndes or Valdosta in years (definitely within the area). You haven't dominated Lincoln at all. You are 2-5 against them in the playoffs since 2000. 

Hard to play someone from GA when they aren't on the same scheduling cycle as FL and Columbia basically only plays home and home games

Oh and who cares if I can't physically force the coaches to call them, none the assistant coaches at Columbia have power to schedule either

So who are you to criticize my efforts I put in, just because I'm not a coach don't mean i don't put in a effort to help Columbia every chance I get. You sit here and act like you have to be a coach to have any importance to a program

I don't coach out there because of crap out of my control but I still put in effort to help Columbia every chance I get whether they appreciate it or not because the program has always come first with me

If more people out here were like me we wouldn't be losing to average teams in the playoffs

I love these Columbia/Vero debates.  Let's add Deerfield Beach in there, too.  Those 3 schools are amongst the top 5 in history in at least one category....not my opinion, it's fact.:rolleyes:   so no rocks at my computer screen, please.

Only a handful of teams have lost more than 10 second round FHSAA playoff games.  Amongst those, below are the 5 teams with the worst winning percentages.  

Merritt Island 12-15 (44% winning percentage)

Columbia 9-13 (41% winning percentage)

Vero Beach 9-13 (41% winning percentage)

Deerfield Beach 9-11 (45% winning percentage)

Milton 6-11 (35% winning percentage)

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I love these Columbia/Vero debates.  Let's add Deerfield Beach in there, too.  Those 3 schools are amongst the top 5 in history in at least one category....not my opinion, it's fact.:rolleyes:   so no rocks at my computer screen, please.

Only a handful of teams have lost more than 10 second round FHSAA playoff games.  Amongst those, below are the 5 teams with the worst winning percentages.  

Didn't realize Milton had that many appearances in playoffs

In all fairness though look at how many appearances those 3 teams have in playoffs

How many teams in state can say they been to over 20 different playoff appearances, playoffs only been around about 60 years so these teams have been in playoffs over 1/3 of the seasons of the playoff era which goes back to the 60s

Not a ton of schools who can say the same

26 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Bruh look who Deerfield had to play in the playoffs........

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Look at how many studs on DFB roster every year

You acting like DFB doesn't have loads of D1 guys on the roster, when you have a lot of talent it's a lot easier to play better teams

No seriously look at whoo all Deerfield done played in the playoffs I mean do sum real research

8 minutes ago, Floridatech said:

No seriously look at whoo all Deerfield done played in the playoffs I mean do sum real research

2018  Columbus
2017  Western
2016  Miami Southridge
2015  Flanagan
2013  Miramar
2012  Cypress Bay

Good teams but irrelevant to the point

Just because DFB has losses to some good teams don't mean their losses are excused and forgotten 

DFB also has a lot more talent to work with than Vero or Columbia does so acting like DFB don't belong in same discussion just because of their competition is ridiculous 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Didn't realize Milton had that many appearances in playoffs

In all fairness though look at how many appearances those 3 teams have in playoffs

How many teams in state can say they been to over 20 different playoff appearances, playoffs only been around about 60 years so these teams have been in playoffs over 1/3 of the seasons of the playoff era which goes back to the 60s

Not a ton of schools who can say the same

likely more than you think...about 200

2018  Columbus
2017  Western
2016  Miami Southridge
2015  Flanagan
2013  Miramar
2012  Cypress Bay

Just because DFB has losses to some good teams don't mean their losses are excused and forgotten 

DFB also has a lot more talent to work with than Vero or Columbia does so acting like DFB don't belong in same discussion just because of their competition is ridiculous 

No no no no no no that's not even what I'm sayin, they had to deal with some no 1 ranked teams in the playoffs

21 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

likely more than you think...about 200

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz3PQVjbVAeCTU9ZZkVvVnJaNmc/view?usp=drivesdk

Well based on the fhsaa numbers only 6 more teams have more playoff appearances than Vero Beach and only 7 have more than Columbia (they are at 7th and 8th position all time in appearances)

DFB also is only a few appearances behind those 2 teams 

Of course though these are counting by number of seasons they have made the playoffs not counting total playoff games, if it was counting total playoff games than you might be right 

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Well based on the fhsaa numbers only 6 more teams have more playoff appearances than Vero Beach and only 7 have more than Columbia (they are at 7th and 8th position all time in appearances)

Of course though these are counting by number of seasons they have made the playoffs not counting total playoff games, if it was counting total playoff games than you might be right 

I was referring to teams that played in 20 or more playoff games.  

Just now, Floridatech said:

No no no no no no that's not even what I'm sayin, they had to deal with some no 1 ranked teams in the playoffs

They have also been considered the favorite in several of those years

In fact since 2015 the only time I would have said before playoffs that they weren't the favorite was 2015 Flanagan and maybe a argument for 2018 Columbus

2016 and 2017 should have been there years to make the finals

Look I'm not trying to dog DFB, they are usually a solid team but they are completely responsible for falling short just as Vero and Columbia are responsible for their falling short

All 3 of them should have several more state appearances and all should have won state titles in their current drought but didn't 

4 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I was referring to teams that played in 20 or more playoff games.  

That makes more sense now 

Truthfully though it is much more tougher to get 20 different seasons of making playoffs because it requires a longer run of success

It's currently possible that a team in 5-8a could get 20 playoff wins by having a 4 peat of state titles even without winning a single playoff win outside of those 4 seasons

With how often teams can get lucky and get one special group than fall apart after they leave it may not always tell the full story

Just look at Flanagan, 2015 team may have been one of best single season teams in SFL history but they completely fell off by 2017 

2018  Columbus
2017  Western
2016  Miami Southridge
2015  Flanagan
2013  Miramar
2012  Cypress Bay

I usually don’t get into theses debates but how many of those loses came to teams that actually went on to win state ? If I’m not mistaken only south ridge and Flanagan went on to win it all right 

17 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Who are the teams with more 

4 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

I usually don’t get into theses debates but how many of those loses came to teams that actually went on to win state ? If I’m not mistaken only south ridge and Flanagan went on to win it all right 

I think those were only 2 to win it all out of those 6 teams

I think Miramar took a major upset deep in playoffs

Western lost in regional finals if my memory serves me correctly

And Cypress Bay and Columbus lost in finals

I don't want to detract from the original post, so will stop here.  There are a lot of teams that have played 10+ second round playoff games.  Of those teams, the 5 I mentioned earlier had the worst winning percentages.  In terms of "Who is elite?"...for what it's worth, "elite" in any category of comparison is top 2-3%...no more.  Even if we divided the list at the post below into small schools and large schools, Vero, Columbia and Deerfield do not make the cut of "elite" programs...at least not in my book.  That is not to say they are not solid programs.  

3 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I don't want to detract from the original post, so will stop here.  There are a lot of teams that have played 10+ second round playoff games.  Of those teams, the 5 I mentioned earlier had the worst winning percentages.  In terms of "Who is elite?"...for what it's worth, "elite" in any category of comparison is top 2-3%...no more.  Even if we divided the list at the post below into small schools and large schools, Vero, Columbia and Deerfield do not make the cut of "elite" programs...at least not in my book.  That is not to say they are not solid programs.  

Honestly another thing that would make a great topic of it's own is what defines elite

Truthfully it depends on who is evaluating and what they feel is important 

Some feel it's based on state championships alone which I think is kinda a lazy way of looking at it, teams like UC and NFC have several state titles but probably wouldn't beat a lot of the "solid teams" on regional or state level

Others are more loose with term and think any team who makes playoffs are elite which I think is kinda a devaluing of the term

I guess you can say "poster preference"

8 hours ago, Floridatech said:

Solid solid game

Chaminade must be on a suicide mission this year.  In addition to Vero, they are scheduled to play AH Plantation, Carol City, Central and Atlantic.  They better be really deep or come playoff time they could be in trouble....or even the Vero game could be problematic coming off AHP, CC and Atlantic. 

Isn't it ironic that Trinity Christian and Chaminade both have these brutal schedules, but are in 3A because of their population size?  If those teams are good enough to play most of their games against big schools, they should be allowed to play against big schools in the playoffs.      

28 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Chaminade must be on a suicide mission this year.  In addition to Vero, they are scheduled to play AH Plantation, Carol City, Central and Atlantic.  They better be really deep or come playoff time they could be in trouble....or even the Vero game could be problematic coming off AHP, CC and Atlantic. 

Isn't it ironic that Trinity Christian and Chaminade both have these brutal schedules, but are in 3A because of their population size?  If those teams are good enough to play most of their games against big schools, they should be allowed to play against big schools in the playoffs.      

I agree with you on everything u just said

39 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

In all fairness Trinity Christian did play up last 2 years and wanted to do it this year but the fhsaa wouldn't allow any team to move classification

In reality TCA got punished for some schools out there who kept using every excuse in the book to move classification and the fhsaa didn't want to take any appeals anymore