Vero Beach schedule so far

Floridatech

3 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Chaminade must be on a suicide mission this year.  In addition to Vero, they are scheduled to play AH Plantation, Carol City, Central and Atlantic.  They better be really deep or come playoff time they could be in trouble....or even the Vero game could be problematic coming off AHP, CC and Atlantic. 

Isn't it ironic that Trinity Christian and Chaminade both have these brutal schedules, but are in 3A because of their population size?  If those teams are good enough to play most of their games against big schools, they should be allowed to play against big schools in the playoffs.      

This is true to a degree, but they had to play these teams. Nobody else would play them. Did anybody really think Flanagan, Cooper City,  and the other merry minimums on their schedule last year were going to hang around to get beat by 70 again?

They're a 2 time defending state champion that is bringing back a team that would compete for a state championship without a single transfer, instead they have 21 transfers and word is they have some legit super stars transferring in shortly once the summer scholarship goes into effect. (It's the scholarship for learning disabilities).

As for Chaminade and Vero. I stand by my statement, If Chaminade is healthy they'll win this one. I'm not saying it'll be a blowout, but they'll end up with more points.  They play Central/Carol City/AHP and like years past, they play those super powers early and will lose to one or two of them.  By week 7 they'll turn into Super Chaminade and wipe the floor with everybody else except JaxTCA who will have turned into Super JaxTCA by then. 

I've seen this story to many times.

23 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

This is true to a degree, but they had to play these teams. Nobody else would play them. Did anybody really think Flanagan, Cooper City,  and the other merry minimums on their schedule last year were going to hang around to get beat by 70 again?

They're a 2 time defending state champion that is bringing back a team that would compete for a state championship without a single transfer, instead they have 21 transfers and word is they have some legit super stars transferring in shortly once the summer scholarship goes into effect. (It's the scholarship for learning disabilities).

As for Chaminade and Vero. I stand by my statement, If Chaminade is healthy they'll win this one. I'm not saying it'll be a blowout, but they'll end up with more points.  They play Central/Carol City/AHP and like years past, they play those super powers early and will lose to one or two of them.  By week 7 they'll turn into Super Chaminade and wipe the floor with everybody else except JaxTCA who will have turned into Super JaxTCA by then. 

I would agree with what OSL said if it wasn't for the 2 teams involved. I don't think chaminade or TCA will be overwhelmed with their schedule because they do this every year

If say someone like University Christian went and suddenly played TCA, St Augustine, Lee, Columbia, Bolles, Mandarin, and Raines than yeah I could see UC being overwhelmed because they aren't used to playing that many top caliber teams but both these schools do it every year and have grown accustomed to it

3a finals should be interested with 2 potential top 10 FL teams (slightly better game on paper than chaminade and Oxbridge from 2 years ago) 

Of course someone like CCC could spoil that as they have been loading up themselves

Top 3 in 3a will be very good this year

24 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

I would have thought Dillard played in those amount or more as well. @OldSchoolLion if not I’m extremely surprised we’ve played in more then 10 playoff games since 2000

Dillard was top 10 in playoff  appearances I believe

They were only like 2 or 3 behind Columbia on the list

25 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

I would have thought Dillard played in those amount or more as well. @OldSchoolLion if not I’m extremely surprised we’ve played in more then 10 playoff games since 2000

Of course though the list OSL showed was total playoff games not playoff appearances (seasons) 

That's where the confusion happened since we were looking at 2 completely different types of stats

13 hours ago, Floridatech said:

Okaaay we'll see you back at this post on 10/19 no one has beaten Vero at home since a loaded FPC team in 2012 and they BARELY won 

I know it was only the post season but Riverview beat Vero @  home in 2017 and Dr Phillips beat Vero @ home in 2018. Just saying....

4 hours ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

I don't doubt the bolded statement above, Jessica.  If indeed certain 1A-4A schools are being "forced" to play brutal schedules, and nobody sees a problem with that in terms of equity and player safety, it blows out of the water the concept of using population size as a means of classifying schools.  I'm simply making a general statement here.

As you know, despite a loaded team in 2016, CM got manhandled by Central and AHP.  They also struggled with Miramar.  And last season, they could not get past Deerfield.  If injuries played a part in the Central and AHP losses, as I believe I heard, it potentially supports my statement that CM has lacked the depth to go toe-to-toe with bigger powerhouses. 

Concerning Chaminade, not sure I agree with the second bolded statement.  Chaminade got destroyed by IMG 43-0 in their last game of the 2016 regular season...not very super.  And this past season, had they been playing against a Central or Carol those same nights they were challenged by CCC and AH Delray in the playoffs, CM would have clearly lost, if not gotten blown out.  They might have been super in talent late last season, but not necessarily in execution.  CM's 2017 squad did come together nicely at the end of the season.     

On 3/22/2019 at 10:20 AM, Floridatech said:

Vero can beat anyone at the citrus bowl Anyone

On 3/22/2019 at 10:24 AM, Floridatech said:

no one has beaten Vero at home since a loaded FPC team in 2012 and they BARELY won 

On 3/23/2019 at 12:03 AM, Floridatech said:

Spring KOC and regular seasons are different stories from playoffs with Vero just sayin

I was only pointing out the fact that Vero has lost at home before. Whether its in the playoffs or not. You stated that Vero has not lost at home since 2012 against a loaded Ft. Pierce Central team. Don't understand why you would hang your hat on the fact that they are dominant at home in the regular season but lose at home in the playoffs....just saying

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:31 AM, Just A Coach said:

I was only pointing out the fact that Vero has lost at home before. Whether its in the playoffs or not. You stated that Vero has not lost at home since 2012 against a loaded Ft. Pierce Central team. Don't understand why you would hang your hat on the fact that they are dominant at home in the regular season but lose at home in the playoffs....just saying

In that case they to play the state title game @ home and maybe they'll win it every year. greats teams win on the Road in hostile environments.

On 3/24/2019 at 1:31 AM, Just A Coach said:

Aye don't ask me I'm a fan, I'm not the coach ask THEM that maybe their playbook change in the playoffs, but facts is still facts like example Vero beating Oscar Smith Venice and Pahokee AWAY on the road, people had questions about whether we could bring the W back.....while Vero has beaten solid teams like Viera and Pahokee at home I mean just sayin those are facts 

2 minutes ago, Floridatech said:

Aye don't ask me I'm a fan, I'm not the coach ask THEM that maybe their playbook change in the playoffs, but facts is still facts like example Vero beating Oscar Smith Venice and Pahokee AWAY on the road, people had questions about whether we could bring the W back.....while Vero has beaten solid teams like Viera and Pahokee at home I mean just sayin those are facts 

None of that matters unless they're bringing home that trophy. Tampa plant hasn't lost a home playoff game in so many years but yet still haven't able to hoist up the trophy

2 hours ago, joeycash2004 said:

None of that matters unless they're bringing home that trophy. Tampa plant hasn't lost a home playoff game in so many years but yet still haven't able to hoist up the trophy

Some truth to what you say, but not entirely accurate.  

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "in so many years," but using just this decade (which eliminates three of Plant's four State Championships), Plant has been in the playoffs every year.  Their overall playoff record in the games played since (and including) 2010 is 24-8.  They've hosted 17 home games and have won 16 of them.  The lone exception was a state semifinals loss to Apopka in 2013.  Not including state finals games played in Orlando, they've played 12 playoff games on the road and have won 7 (including wins at Viera, twice, at Lakeland, at Ft. Pierce Central and at East Lake when they were loaded).   Of their five road losses, two were at Lakeland (including this year's loss in the Regional Finals to the eventual state champs) and two were at Dr. Phillips.  In the state finals, Plant has lost to STA twice (in 2010 and 2016) and beat Miramar once (in 2011). 

A couple more observations:  if last year's state semifinals game had been played in Tampa instead of Jacksonville, I think Plant would have beaten Bartram Trail.  Similarly, if this year's regional finals game had been played in Tampa instead of Lakeland, I don't think it would have mattered - Lakeland still would have won (but it would have been a little closer).

By virtue of winning their district, Plant has hosted the first round of the playoffs all nine years this decade.  And they have won all nine games.  Since the FHSAA changed the way playoffs are scheduled (first to the point system and now to the power index), the opening game is the only playoff game that Plant has played at home.   The other five playoff games have all been road games.  No doubt that history has shown that the Panthers have a better chance to win at home than on the road (probably true of most teams), but Hillsborough County's central funding/scheduling system may guaranty that Plant never gets to host a playoff game after the first round again, unless they can go undefeated. 

I didn't know exactly how many years it was but I remembered them losing to Apopka that year and they should had of lost to Robert E. Lee a couple of years ago (controversial call). I also depends on schedule I see they play decent teams. Unless they run the table they wont get every home playoff game. then took at armwood, they win both home and away but manage to lay an egg in they state title game for the last 10 years. was basically saying that great teams win on the road. plant is a dynasty though no doubt about it

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

No doubt that history has shown that the Panthers have a better chance to win at home than on the road (probably true of most teams), but Hillsborough County's central funding/scheduling system may guaranty that Plant never gets to host a playoff game after the first round again, unless they can go undefeated. 

This is not the first time I have heard about Hillsborough's central funding/scheduling system. Could this be explained more?

Does this mean that Plant/Armwood can never schedule outside of the county (beyond district games)?
Does this mean that Plant takes in $10,000 for a home game and King takes in $1000 that they equalize it all in the end?

I know Palm Beach County has an athletics office that will often assist with scheduling, but I don't think it was this centralized. 

18 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

This is not the first time I have heard about Hillsborough's central funding/scheduling system. Could this be explained more?

Does this mean that Plant/Armwood can never schedule outside of the county (beyond district games)?
Does this mean that Plant takes in $10,000 for a home game and King takes in $1000 that they equalize it all in the end?

I know Palm Beach County has an athletics office that will often assist with scheduling, but I don't think it was this centralized. 

Very close 

All ticket sales in county is distributed equally regardless of who brings in fans and who stadium is empty

The centralized scheduling basically means that outside of OOS games and KOC the teams can only play teams in county for non conference games 

And the only way they can play OOS or KOC games from outside the county is if the team specifically (not the county) or the OOS team covers the costs

I got a few other details from speaking to a coach of a very big name program but I'll stop there 

Let's just say that is only tip of iceberg

15 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Very close 

All ticket sales in county is distributed equally regardless of who brings in fans and who stadium is empty

The centralized scheduling basically means that outside of OOS games and KOC the teams can only play teams in county for non conference games 

And the only way they can play OOS or KOC games from outside the county is if the team specifically (not the county) or the OOS team covers the costs

I got a few other details from speaking to a coach of a very big name program but I'll stop there 

Let's just say that is only tip of iceberg

This is on point.  I may have used the word "district" instead of "conference," but the point remains the same - other than district games, a Hillsborough County school cannot cross the county line to play another team (except for the OOS and KOC games, as explained above). 

For the last four years, all of Plant's district opponents (other than Wiregrass Ranch) have been other Hillsborough County schools.  Plant moved back up to 8A for the next two years and all of its district opponents (other than Palm Harbor U.) will be other Hillsborough County schools.  Plant has played a number of OOS games this decade (Abilene, TX, John C. Curtis, LA, Sandy Creek, GA, Lowndes, GA, Colquitt Co., GA, and Paul Bryant, AL) and is scheduled to play Gonzaga University High School (Washington, DC) this season.  And the past couple of years - and this season coming up - Plant has played Venice in the KOC.   Other than these games, Plant has had no control over its schedule. 

The district games get scheduled and then the county fills in the remaining weeks on the schedule with other Hillsborough County opponents.  Granted Hillsborough County is a big county, with several good football teams.  And the County has a fairly sophisticated method of completing the schedule (involving long-standing rivalries, tiers of opponents, etc.).  But, at the end of the day, the Hillsborough County public schools have very little control over their schedules, and virtually no ability to schedule teams outside of Hillsborough County, other than the KOC and an occasional OOS game.   For teams like Plant and Armwood, this can come back to haunt them when determining strength of schedule and preparing for a playoff run. 

Is what it is. 

10 minutes ago, Perspective said:

This is on point.  I may have used the word "district" instead of "conference," but the point remains the same - other than district games, a Hillsborough County school cannot cross the county line to play another team (except for the OOS and KOC games, as explained above). 

For the last four years, all of Plant's district opponents (other than Wiregrass Ranch) have been other Hillsborough County schools.  Plant moved back up to 8A for the next two years and all of its district opponents (other than Palm Harbor U.) will be other Hillsborough County schools.  Plant has played a number of OOS games this decade (Abilene, TX, John C. Curtis, LA, Sandy Creek, GA, Lowndes, GA, Colquitt Co., GA, and Paul Bryant, AL) and is scheduled to play Gonzaga University High School (Washington, DC) this season.  And the past couple of years - and this season coming up - Plant has played Venice in the KOC.   Other than these games, Plant has had no control over its schedule. 

The district games get scheduled and then the county fills in the remaining weeks on the schedule with other Hillsborough County opponents.  Granted Hillsborough County is a big county, with several good football teams.  And the County has a fairly sophisticated method of completing the schedule (involving long-standing rivalries, tiers of opponents, etc.).  But, at the end of the day, the Hillsborough County public schools have very little control over their schedules, and virtually no ability to schedule teams outside of Hillsborough County, other than the KOC and an occasional OOS game.   For teams like Plant and Armwood, this can come back to haunt them when determining strength of schedule and preparing for a playoff run. 

Is what it is. 

I'm gonna guess though that most coaches there hate the idea that they can't control their schedule?

17 hours ago, joeycash2004 said:

I didn't know exactly how many years it was but I remembered them losing to Apopka that year and they should had of lost to Robert E. Lee a couple of years ago (controversial call). I also depends on schedule I see they play decent teams. Unless they run the table they wont get every home playoff game. then took at armwood, they win both home and away but manage to lay an egg in they state title game for the last 10 years. was basically saying that great teams win on the road. plant is a dynasty though no doubt about it

Curious what the 'controversial call' was in the Robert E. Lee game.   According to MaxPreps, Plant won 27-19.  If this is the game I'm thinking of, Lee got the ball back towards the end of the game and drove it down the field into the red zone.  They ended up with a 4th and goal from inside the 5-yard line with time running down.  Lee had been running a variation of the read option and the QB had rushed for over 100 yards.  Plant loaded up the box and sold out on the QB keeping the ball on the 4th down play.  He did and got stopped in his own backfield. 

Even if Lee had scored on that play, they would have needed a 2-point conversion just to tie the game.  I could be confusing this game with another, but that's my recollection.   I don't recall a controversial play, but I'm always open to learning or being reminded. 

1 minute ago, Perspective said:

Curious what the 'controversial call' was in the Robert E. Lee game.   According to MaxPreps, Plant won 27-19.  If this is the game I'm thinking of, Lee got the ball back towards the end of the game and drove it down the field into the red zone.  They ended up with a 4th and goal from inside the 5-yard line with time running down.  Lee had been running a variation of the read option and the QB had rushed for over 100 yards.  Plant loaded up the box and sold out on the QB keeping the ball on the 4th down play.  He did and got stopped in his own backfield. 

Even if Lee had scored on that play, they would have needed a 2-point conversion just to tie the game.  I could be confusing this game with another, but that's my recollection.   I don't recall a controversial play, but I'm always open to learning or being reminded. 

Lee really blew that opportunity, that plant team was not the "elite level plant" that they can be in some years earlier in this decade and that was the best Lee team in decades 

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I'm gonna guess though that most coaches there hate the idea that they can't control their schedule?

Funny you should ask.   I think some of the coaches are perfectly content to let the County administrators do that job for them, while coaches of some of the top programs are frustrated by it.   Ironically, it really didn't have much of an impact until two years ago.  Yeah, I understand the philosophy of 'you gotta play the best to be the best' and 'iron sharpens iron,' but with home field predetermined, it just wasn't that big of an issue.   Once the FHSAA switched over to awarding home field based on strength of schedule/power ranking/formula, it makes a huge difference.  Again, the coaches who, historically, have not been in the playoff mix don't really care about centralized scheduling (and will gladly trade it off for the money they receive from centralized funding, instead of having to rely solely on their own gate money to fund their programs).  Coaches of perennial contenders would prefer more control/flexibility.