The new North Florida League 1A

Panhandle Jet

SMH 

This nonsense is why we have 8 classes in football

Instead of focusing on getting better teams would rather complain and look for easy path

We didn't get good instantly, we had to work our ass off to earn our stripes and get where we are

Hell look at the consistently strong programs, they worked their ass off to build something

They didn't go whine until they had a easy path

Just now, OldSchoolLion said:

"like-minded" schools...interesting word choice

Yeah it is

Really sounds like they just don't want to have to play a team like Madison, Taylor county, Pahokee, ect. In order to be able to hold up a championship

A state title isn't supposed to be something that is done easily, quite frankly if they think it should be easy to win state than I see why they keep getting crushed in finals by much stronger and hungrier teams

Madison though is playing 4 dimensional chess while the rest of us are playing checkers. The use of the charter school to siphon enough students away to lower their population numbers is darn near criminal in my opinion. If Madison played in the classification that their numbers are this wouldn't be an issue. As for Pahokee, they are who we thought they are. They couldn't even beat Hawthorne last year. 

Imagine if every school could do this. Take every kid who could care so little about sports, band, cheerleading and put them in their own school and your population numbers is only kids who want to play sports, cheer, dance, do band, or just come to games. All of a sudden, we might get very different classifications. 

Pahokee has been imploding from within for the last 2 seasons. A. Smith was the right guy (my opinion) but he had issues that caused him to be released. PK has had more talent than any team they’ve played the last 2 seasons from 1A to 8A (Madison, Vero, and Atlantic included), but there has been so much disfunction within the program, that they have fell apart late in the season. 

If they can find the right guy/staff this program would be on another level

8 hours ago, winallthetime said:

No they are not. Playing "playoffs" I believe weeks 9-11, and entering into regular FHSAA playoffs after. Can't beat Mad co, so I guess the next best option is create a pseudo trophy competition. However, this wouldn't of even been a thought if the FHSAA would not of done away with district play in 1A-4A. 

Actually, if this information is correct than this isn't really that bad of a deal. Teams get to play a full slate on their own terms. They get to potentially win something (similar to how basketball/baseball/softball coaches want a district tournament to play for) even if they don't win state championship. Not the worst situation in the world. 

Now if this is the first step of leaving the FHSAA then, yeah it is bad (actually, I think all public schools must be members of the FHSAA if I remember correctly, but I have been known to be wrong). 

7 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Actually, if this information is correct than this isn't really that bad of a deal. Teams get to play a full slate on their own terms. They get to potentially win something (similar to how basketball/baseball/softball coaches want a district tournament to play for) even if they don't win state championship. Not the worst situation in the world. 

Now if this is the first step of leaving the FHSAA then, yeah it is bad (actually, I think all public schools must be members of the FHSAA if I remember correctly, but I have been known to be wrong). 

I've mentioned before that in years past when we had big districts, winning a district title was a big deal.  Even if a team had no reasonable chance of winning a state title, they had something to aim for and get excited about.  In all seriousness, if forming a league like this gets kids, coaches and fans excited, it's a good thing for the sport.     

4 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I've mentioned before that in years past when we had big districts, winning a district title was a big deal.  Even if a team had no reasonable chance of winning a state title, they had something to aim for and get excited about.  In all seriousness, if forming a league like this gets kids, coaches and fans excited, it's a good thing for the sport.     

It's not what they did that is damaging to the sport, it's why they did

What will happen if teams band together and decide, (hey we don't want to be in same class as STA or Miami Central or Miami Northwestern, ect. So we gonna form our own league)

It's basically sending a message that if you think it's too hard then the right choice is go make some league with other level teams and win that instead of at least trying to put up a fight against a elite quality team 

It's sending a message to give up trying to beat elite teams and instead look for the easy way out, stuff like that is what got us 8 classes 

Like the district championship used to hold more weight it should mean something to finish as a champion especially when you have to work your ass off just to have a chance at it, it isn't supposed to be easy to win a championship

I think what they have done is basically gone back to playing in a district.  I don't see an issue with it. Scheduling has been an issue for these schools and if this is an opportunity to have meaningful games in the regular season it can only better prepare them for FHSAA playoffs. As for criticizing these teams for not being able to beat Madison the last couple of years let us then also throw shade at all the other teams Madco has beaten outside of the 1A championship game.  

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

What will happen if teams band together and decide, (hey we don't want to be in same class as STA or Miami Central or Miami Northwestern, ect. So we gonna form our own league)

We had 10 very large 6A-8A teams do exactly that when they chose not to be in 6A-8A and form their own independent conference. I will continue to say it, but until the FHSAA starts moving good teams and bad teams down, this will continue to happen. 

36 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

It's not what they did that is damaging to the sport, it's why they did

It's basically sending a message that if you think it's too hard then the right choice is go make some league with other level teams and win that instead of at least trying to put up a fight against a elite quality team 

It's sending a message to give up trying to beat elite teams and instead look for the easy way out, stuff like that is what got us 8 classes 

Like the district championship used to hold more weight it should mean something to finish as a champion especially when you have to work your ass off just to have a chance at it, it isn't supposed to be easy to win a championship

Unless we personally spoke to those coaches and their supporters, and they trusted us enough to tell us the truth, we don't know with absolute certainty why they did what they did.  Many of us don't like people making assumptions about our actions, so we should extend others the same courtesy. 

In a manner of speaking, the teams in the league make sense, ie all of the teams from current 1A-R2 and Baker, Graceville, Holmes County and Vernon from 1A-R1.  There are no teams from R3 in the league (Madison's current region). 

Some teams today have already formed their own leagues...figuratively speaking...so why should we critical.   Teams like STA are in a league of their own.  IMO, any coach who already has a nationally-ranked team and is starting transfer athletes over kids who have been invested in a program for 3 years only to sit the bench...those are not my values.  Any coach of a team with more than half of its starters made up of transfers...I could not do it, because those are not my values.  

And I don't want to play against coaches/teams that don't share the same values.  Although I joked about it earlier, I want to play against "like-minded" folks when it comes to values of sportsmanship.  So, what is my prerogative?...don't play those who don't.  Just like the folks did up in Baltimore this past year when they refused to play St Frances Academy.  Now that's some peer pressure, and I applaud those folks for sending a message that needed to be sent.

If teams want to have their rosters filled with D-1 athletes and be on ESPN...good for them, let them play each other.  That is not the priority of all coaches, and just because they do not want to play the Type A programs of the world does not necessarily mean they are afraid to work hard for success.  In some cases, it's simply a matter of principle.   

If you are so sure of yourself, why don't you make a trip to the Panhandle and ask some of those good ol boys why they are running from the competition.  Let me know how it goes.   

42 minutes ago, Sharkbait said:

I think what they have done is basically gone back to playing in a district.  I don't see an issue with it. Scheduling has been an issue for these schools and if this is an opportunity to have meaningful games in the regular season it can only better prepare them for FHSAA playoffs. As for criticizing these teams for not being able to beat Madison the last couple of years let us then also throw shade at all the other teams Madco has beaten outside of the 1A championship game.  

If that was the case and they are only doing it as a means to schedule games (like the gateway conference in Duval county) than I'm ok with that

However based on people I've asked it doesn't sound like that is what is happening here

30 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

We had 10 very large 6A-8A teams do exactly that when they chose not to be in 6A-8A and form their own independent conference. I will continue to say it, but until the FHSAA starts moving good teams and bad teams down, this will continue to happen

Even if that could fix it why does the fhsaa need to give in to teams who want the easy road

Gatorman I figured you would be type of person to feel that a championship should be earned through hard work right?

40 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Unless we personally spoke to those coaches and their supporters, and they trusted us enough to tell us the truth, we don't know with absolute certainty why they did what they did.  Many of us don't like people making assumptions about our actions, so we should extend others the same courtesy. 

In a manner of speaking, the teams in the league make sense, ie all of the teams from current 1A-R2 and Baker, Graceville, Holmes County and Vernon from 1A-R1.  There are no teams from R3 in the league (Madison's current region). 

Some teams today have already formed their own leagues...figuratively speaking...so why should we critical.   Teams like STA are in a league of their own.  IMO, any coach who already has a nationally-ranked team and is starting transfer athletes over kids who have been invested in a program for 3 years only to sit the bench...those are not my values.  Any coach of a team with more than half of its starters made up of transfers...I could not do it, because those are not my values.  

And I don't want to play against coaches/teams that don't share the same values.  Although I joked about it earlier, I want to play against "like-minded" folks when it comes to values of sportsmanship.  So, what is my prerogative?...don't play those who don't.  Just like the folks did up in Baltimore this past year when they refused to play St Frances Academy.  Now that's some peer pressure, and I applaud those folks for sending a message that needed to be sent.

If teams want to have their rosters filled with D-1 athletes and be on ESPN...good for them, let them play each other.  That is not the priority of all coaches, and just because they do not want to play the Type A programs of the world does not necessarily mean they are afraid to work hard for success.  In some cases, it's simply a matter of principle.   

If you are so sure of yourself, why don't you make a trip to the Panhandle and ask some of those good ol boys why they are running from the competition.  Let me know how it goes.   

Ok old school I'll put you on spot then

Do you think FL would benefit from having a open division like CA has?