Jax TCA might have a few transfers

JaxTCA2010stateCHAMP

40 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

That's because the fhsaa still has to answer to the state legislation in Tallahassee and the people in Tallahassee are financially backing IMG 

There's really nothing the fhsaa can do since they still have to answer to Tallahassee

Can you explain this in greater detail?  What do you meant that "the people [presumably, legislators] in Tallahassee are financially backing IMG?"   I thought IMG was a private company.  How/why are they being supported by taxpayer money?  Please elaborate.   Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Can you explain this in greater detail?  What do you meant that "the people [presumably, legislators] in Tallahassee are financially backing IMG?"   I thought IMG was a private company.  How/why are they being supported by taxpayer money?  Please elaborate.   Thanks.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/sports-juggernaut-img-academy-a-big-surprising-winner-in-state-budget/2234120

That will explain it better than I could

25 minutes ago, Jags904 said:

That’s mind blowing 

It is and it isn't.   On the one hand, we've all seen local and state government 'assist' private ventures (NFL football teams, MLB baseball teams, etc.) by building, subsidizing or paying for things like stadiums.  Each time, the argument in support of the expenditure is that it will pay for itself with increased tax revenue.  I'm not as flabbergasted with the fact that it happened between the state and IMG as I am with how it happened (i.e., last minute addition without any public debate on the issue).   It's worth noting that the article is 3-4 years old.  It would be interesting to see if the legislature has been as generous to IMG over the last three years.  

More importantly, is anyone from Tallahassee actually telling the FHSAA to keep their paws off IMG or, alternatively, does anyone at the FHSAA feel that IMG is untouchable because of the support that they've received from the state?  

Just to be clear:  I think that there's a place in this world for IMG.  And I can even follow the logic that the things that they are doing generates revenue for the Bradenton/Sarasota area.  I'm not sure whether that justifies a handout from the state or not.   More to the point of this whole discussion, however, I don't believe IMG should get special treatment or consideration from the FHSAA just because they've found a handful of state legislators who feel inclined or compelled to provide funding to IMG.   And, I certainly don't think that IMG should be able to ignore or break FHSAA rules with impunity.  

18 minutes ago, Perspective said:

It is and it isn't.   On the one hand, we've all seen local and state government 'assist' private ventures (NFL football teams, MLB baseball teams, etc.) by building, subsidizing or paying for things like stadiums.  Each time, the argument in support of the expenditure is that it will pay for itself with increased tax revenue.  I'm not as flabbergasted with the fact that it happened between the state and IMG as I am with how it happened (i.e., last minute addition without any public debate on the issue).   It's worth noting that the article is 3-4 years old.  It would be interesting to see if the legislature has been as generous to IMG over the last three years.  

More importantly, is anyone from Tallahassee actually telling the FHSAA to keep their paws off IMG or, alternatively, does anyone at the FHSAA feel that IMG is untouchable because of the support that they've received from the state?  

Just to be clear:  I think that there's a place in this world for IMG.  And I can even follow the logic that the things that they are doing generates revenue for the Bradenton/Sarasota area.  I'm not sure whether that justifies a handout from the state or not.   More to the point of this whole discussion, however, I don't believe IMG should get special treatment or consideration from the FHSAA just because they've found a handful of state legislators who feel inclined or compelled to provide funding to IMG.   And, I certainly don't think that IMG should be able to ignore or break FHSAA rules with impunity.  

Even though I can't prove without a doubt that IMG is untouchable if the state was willing to hand IMG millions under the table is it really impossible to think that should the fhsaa attempt to go after IMG that the state could very likely step in and back IMG?

My thinking is that the fhsaa likely stays away from IMG because they don't want to get in any hot water with the state 

My understanding is that the fhsaa is a state association that has to go by the guidelines put in place by the state legislation (this is done in most if not all states with their own state associations)

It also means the fhsaa has to answer to the state legislation which means the state legislation holds all the cards

Not the fhsaa

Columbia, I just saw something interesting.   Typically, I would ask this in the form of a hypothetical question, but I won't bother to try and disguise things.   It appears that the kid who got the "invitation" from IMG currently plays for Robert E. Lee.  Based solely on the fact that IMG apparently/allegedly wants the kid to attend IMG, I'm going to assume he's a pretty good football player.  Lee is now in the same district as Columbia.   If you're the coach at Columbia (or even a big fan who follows high school football closely and who posts on high school football message boards), what do you do if you think IMG has crossed the line?   On the one hand, you may feel compelled to report the violation (regardless of whether you think the FHSAA will do anything about it).  On the other hand, if you stay quiet on the issue, then one of your district opponents just lost one of their best defensive players, which presumably increases your chances of beating Lee this season.  Ethical dilemma?  

4 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Columbia, I just saw something interesting.   Typically, I would ask this in the form of a hypothetical question, but I won't bother to try and disguise things.   It appears that the kid who got the "invitation" from IMG currently plays for Robert E. Lee.  Based solely on the fact that IMG apparently/allegedly wants the kid to attend IMG, I'm going to assume he's a pretty good football player.  Lee is now in the same district as Columbia.   If you're the coach at Columbia (or even a big fan who follows high school football closely and who posts on high school football message boards), what do you do if you think IMG has crossed the line?   On the one hand, you may feel compelled to report the violation (regardless of whether you think the FHSAA will do anything about it).  On the other hand, if you stay quiet on the issue, then one of your district opponents just lost one of their best defensive players, which presumably increases your chances of beating Lee this season.  Ethical dilemma?  

I'll put it this way in the most unbiased way I can

Even though I don't have concrete evidence to prove it many people in the Jacksonville area I spoke to in past have hinted that several schools (names will remain unsaid but I'm sure you may catch the hint with the rest of post who some of these programs are) who have coaches that not only encourage transfers but in some cases actually contacted parents of local kids from other schools to come play for them (this is based on conversations I've had this off-season with several parents of football players in Duval county)

Based on the conversations I've had with these same parents it is basically common place in Duval county especially at the top programs that "recruiting" has been happening (likely in other metros as well but since a Duval team is primary focus I'll stick to that county) 

But back to the main discussion, I do not find what IMG does to be ethical on any level and while I find it ok if a player chooses on his own to attend it is not the same as if IMG directly pursues a player, however I also feel it's highly unlikely anything would happen to IMG even if I reported it

My feelings are that if anyone has a reason to report this blatant recruiting it would be Lee who would report it as it has the most direct effect on them so I wouldn't need to report it as odds are if the kid did choose to go to IMG than Lee would report it themselves (if they haven't already)

Personally though when it comes to the last statement, conceivably our odds of beating Lee could increase with them losing a very talented player like him however I'm very confident in our abilities to beat them whether he is there or not and the last thing I would want is for this to be some excuse for Lee when we beat them

After all he deleted the tweet and I took a screenshot of the tweet and even made it public after it was deleted so it wouldn't just go unnoticed so I couldn't say I would be sweeping it under the rug because in reality I could have easily let it stay hidden but I went out of my way to make it public

Though that is a fair question, even though I'm not someone who would want to let something like that just stay buried to help my own teams chances there probably are some people out there in similar situations who may not be so honest about it

3 hours ago, Perspective said:

I appreciate the honest response.   I agree that if IMG did what it appears they did, Lee really should be the one who reports them as they have the most to lose. 

IMG did nothing wrong.  They don't follow the same rules. 

If I'm at Columbia and I know Lee has a really really good player that is good enough to play at IMG I'm calling IMG to see if they can get this player.

13 minutes ago, badbird said:

If I'm at Columbia and I know Lee has a really really good player that is good enough to play at IMG I'm calling IMG to see if they can get this player.

I'm confident we beat them whether he at Lee or not

What's killed us in recent matchups is scrambling QB creating matchup headaches

11 hours ago, badbird said:

Badbird, help me out with this one . . . Are you saying that IMG doesn't have to follow the same rules as every other high school or, alternatively, they are supposed to follow the same rules but choose not to and there really isn't anything that anyone can or will do about it? 

Hmmmmm. Something is amiss here. If any high school student is allowed, through Florida law, to transfer to any other school in Florida for any reason at any time, then why would it be necessary for a coach to "recruit" anyone? The good football players already gravitate to the schools that have top football programs. IMG doesn't really need to recruit as every player on the planet knows what they are all about. The only challenge is coming up with the tuition. Many players may be qualified athletically to go there but not financially. I don't think the problem is recruiting. It's the ability to transfer to any school for any reason at any time that is the problem, IMHO. As far as TCA goes they were beaten by a so so North Marion team that is far from a powerhouse. So, maybe all that recruiting just doesn't guarantee a win every time. 

3 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Hmmmmm. Something is amiss here. If any high school student is allowed, through Florida law, to transfer to any other school in Florida for any reason at any time, then why would it be necessary for a coach to "recruit" anyone? The good football players already gravitate to the schools that have top football programs. IMG doesn't really need to recruit as every player on the planet knows what they are all about. The only challenge is coming up with the tuition. Many players may be qualified athletically to go there but not financially. I don't think the problem is recruiting. It's the ability to transfer to any school for any reason at any time that is the problem, IMHO. As far as TCA goes they were beaten by a so so North Marion team that is far from a powerhouse. So, maybe all that recruiting just doesn't guarantee a win every time. 

Any high school student is allowed to transfer to any school by HIS/HER choice

however that doesn't mean that it is allowed under fhsaa rules for a coach at a school to contact another player (or their parents) and try to convince them to move schools

4 hours ago, Perspective said:

Badbird, help me out with this one . . . Are you saying that IMG doesn't have to follow the same rules as every other high school or, alternatively, they are supposed to follow the same rules but choose not to and there really isn't anything that anyone can or will do about it? 

see Montverde in basketball.  They can openly recruit.  

13 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Any high school student is allowed to transfer to any school by HIS/HER choice

however that doesn't mean that it is allowed under fhsaa rules for a coach at a school to contact another player (or their parents) and try to convince them to move schools

Of course, outright recruiting is against FHSAA policy. However, athletic representatives don't actively recruit. Simply, word gets around through social media or private communications. How can the FHSAA monitor this? And, if the players know who the teams are that would most benefit them, they then register with the school and automatically get to join their team. It's called stealth recruiting and is probably happening all the time.

22 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Of course, outright recruiting is against FHSAA policy. However, athletic representatives don't actively recruit. Simply, word gets around through social media or private communications. How can the FHSAA monitor this? And, if the players know who the teams are that would most benefit them, they then register with the school and automatically get to join their team. It's called stealth recruiting and is probably happening all the time.

I'm sure it does but some programs out there are willing to go to any lengths to get a player 

9 hours ago, Proseteye said:

Just remember how this whole discussion started.   A kid (currently enrolled at Robert E. Lee) sent out a tweet that said "Blessed to Receive an invitation to play IMG Academy." 

Admittedly, the tweet doesn't say who extended the invitation.  But at the bottom of the tweet, the kid "ats" IMGAFootball and "IMGdbCoachBanks" (as well as two others).  So, I guess the recruiting may have been "stealthy," but the response to it certainly was not.