Teams to watch in 2019 (besides the obvious ones)

DisabledAccount

38 minutes ago, badbird said:

you've now taken little boy Columbiafan's saying of badbirdy.  heck if mom jokes are 5 year old material badbirdy is 3 year old material.  Glad I could get on your level.  

Are you going to take this discussion seriously or are you just going to keep acting immature 

What happened to the bad bird who knew his stuff in the game of football expert?

34 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Are you going to take this discussion seriously or are you just going to keep acting immature 

What happened to the bad bird who knew his stuff in the game of football expert?

I retired 

to be with your mom.  

8 minutes ago, badbird said:

I'll try to do better.  It's the off season.  All the recruits haven't moved yet.

Fair enough

I wouldn't expect a perfect list this early I'm just looking to identify some teams that I can keep a eye on come August once transfers have hit their final destination

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Does that mean I should be worried that our game at Oakleaf week 2 will be a dogfight?

Yes. Very talented team with a great coaching staff. That district with them, Mandarin, and Bartram will be a dogfight this year. 

I've been waiting 5 years for my Celtics to start producing like the teams of old. I thought that last season was the one where they would emerge with new HC Thomas at the helm. The team did well at the start and then reverted to type in the second half. This season they have a Senior heavy team with experience at most positions. Thomas is historically a winning coach so hopefully he will be able to put it together for 2019 so that we can at least be in the playoffs and maybe do some amazing things. :unsure:

9 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

I've been waiting 5 years for my Celtics to start producing like the teams of old. I thought that last season was the one where they would emerge with new HC Thomas at the helm. The team did well at the start and then reverted to type in the second half. This season they have a Senior heavy team with experience at most positions. Thomas is historically a winning coach so hopefully he will be able to put it together for 2019 so that we can at least be in the playoffs and maybe do some amazing things. :unsure:

Gonna be tough Sharing a region with TCA who may have best team since 2015 this year but getting to playoffs after several rough years could be huge for the Celtics and would be important towards building the program back to what it was for most of the 00s

13 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Gonna be tough Sharing a region with TCA who may have best team since 2015 this year but getting to playoffs after several rough years could be huge for the Celtics and would be important towards building the program back to what it was for most of the 00s

I agree Columbia. There are, however, also other 3A teams that will be a challenge besides TCA. Berkeley Prep, Calvary Christian, Chaminade, CCC, and the First Academy. We now have what looks to be a very stable QB in Jr Domanic Brinser. Good skills and 6'2" 195. Our receivers and RBs mostly have two or three years of experience. So, we shall see.

4 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

I agree Columbia. There are, however, also other 3A teams that will be a challenge besides TCA. Berkeley Prep, Calvary Christian, Chaminade, CCC, and the First Academy. We now have what looks to be a very stable QB in Jr Domanic Brinser. Good skills and 6'2" 195. Our receivers and RBs mostly have two or three years of experience. So, we shall see.

Yeah but aren't all those teams you listed in the other regions

Trinity Christian only one on that list who share a region with the Celtics which instantly makes TCA the biggest head to head threat in the Celtics path

I do think Trinity Catholic should be a playoff team but they may have picked one year too late to get good again

8 hours ago, Proseteye said:

Proseteye,

I saw on the schedule that OTC is playing Calvary Christian. This is a good game as Calvary Christian has a prolific QB and some talented WR's to throw to. OTC has been in a 2 steps forward, 1 step back rebuilding process. Let's see if the new coach and a senior laden team gets the Celtics over the hump.

While JaxTCA is in your region I think the more immediate focus should be on winning a playoff game. This will go a long, long way to re-establishing the Celtic brand in Marion county.  You won't have to worry about Chaminade or CCC, they are in regions 3 and 4 respectively.  First Academy is in region 2 this year.  

OTC is a team worth following, there's some good things happening.

58 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Proseteye,

I saw on the schedule that OTC is playing Calvary Christian. This is a good game as Calvary Christian has a prolific QB and some talented WR's to throw to. OTC has been in a 2 steps forward, 1 step back rebuilding process. Let's see if the new coach and a senior laden team gets the Celtics over the hump.

While JaxTCA is in your region I think the more immediate focus should be on winning a playoff game. This will go a long, long way to re-establishing the Celtic brand in Marion county.  You won't have to worry about Chaminade or CCC, they are in regions 3 and 4 respectively.  First Academy is in region 2 this year.  

OTC is a team worth following, there's some good things happening.

Appreciate the good thoughts. We need them. :(

On 3/30/2019 at 11:22 PM, badbird said:

Well she is a sleeper.

To quote Larry the Cable Guy... "I don't care who you are that right there's funny" 

The first mom joke was ehh, but the follow-up was good.

As for a team that I think makes the biggest, the easy answer is Gadsden County. They are getting Corey Fuller back at the helm. Fuller turned around Godby teams that had gone 3-6 and 2-7 the previous two seasons before he arrived. He then led to 11-1 and 11-2 seasons. When he took over East Gadsden (now Gadsden County) the first time, the team had not won more than 5 games in the previous 6 seasons they ended up with seasons of 5 wins, 10 wins, and 8 wins. I think Gadsden County probably has 5 winnable games on the schedule.  So if we are just talking who makes the biggest jump it is Gadsden. Now, is Gadsden going to compete for a state championship, no. 

As for another team to keep an eye on is King's Academy. They were state runner-up and got up early on Chaminade-Madonna with the score being 10-0 early in the 2nd. C-M then scored the next 38 points. King's was a senior laden team from what I could tell, but state semi-finalist is a possibility if they can reload. With Oxbridge ending their football program, those players had to go somewhere. I am sure a couple ended up at King's, Cardinal Newman, American Heritage -Delray and large publics in Palm Beach County. 

2 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

To quote Larry the Cable Guy... "I don't care who you are that right there's funny" 

The first mom joke was ehh, but the follow-up was good.

As for a team that I think makes the biggest, the easy answer is Gadsden County. They are getting Corey Fuller back at the helm. Fuller turned around Godby teams that had gone 3-6 and 2-7 the previous two seasons before he arrived. He then led to 11-1 and 11-2 seasons. When he took over East Gadsden (now Gadsden County) the first time, the team had not won more than 5 games in the previous 6 seasons they ended up with seasons of 5 wins, 10 wins, and 8 wins. I think Gadsden County probably has 5 winnable games on the schedule.  So if we are just talking who makes the biggest jump it is Gadsden. Now, is Gadsden going to compete for a state championship, no. 

As for another team to keep an eye on is King's Academy. They were state runner-up and got up early on Chaminade-Madonna with the score being 10-0 early in the 2nd. C-M then scored the next 38 points. King's was a senior laden team from what I could tell, but state semi-finalist is a possibility if they can reload. With Oxbridge ending their football program, those players had to go somewhere. I am sure a couple ended up at King's, Cardinal Newman, American Heritage -Delray and large publics in Palm Beach County. 

No coin flip this year for Gadsden. 

Venicefootball is still trying to figure out what a sleeper is.