STA Recruiting

Keepingitrealinsrq

In a response letter dated March 27 that was sent to St. Thomas Aquinas’ administration, which was obtained by FloridaHSFootball.com from the FHSAA regarding the self-report, the FHSAA received a self-report from the Class 7A football powerhouse and 2018 State Runner-up stating that assistant coach Torrian Wilson had made improper contact with a student not enrolled at the Fort Lauderdale school that transpired from an allegation received by the FHSAA and forwarded to the school.

Let me see if I've got this straight:  someone ratted out STA to the FHSAA.  The FHSAA in turn passed along the allegation to STA.  STA then notified the FHSAA that the allegations were true.   And this is called "self-reporting?"   Understand that I'm not complaining about the way the process works; I'm just suggesting that calling this "self-reporting" is a tad bit misleading. 

In any event, it looks like the coaches at STA picked the wrong player at the wrong school to try and poach this time. 

8 hours ago, Perspective said:

Let me see if I've got this straight:  someone ratted out STA to the FHSAA.  The FHSAA in turn passed along the allegation to STA.  STA then notified the FHSAA that the allegations were true.   And this is called "self-reporting?"   Understand that I'm not complaining about the way the process works; I'm just suggesting that calling this "self-reporting" is a tad bit misleading. 

No - STA learned of the violation on its accord, investigated and then submitted the findings to the FHSAA. 

The "response letter" back mentioned at the start of the portion you posted is regarding the response the FHSAA sent to STA letting them know the sanctions being handed down. 

10 hours ago, SportsNut25 said:

No - STA learned of the violation on its accord, investigated and then submitted the findings to the FHSAA. 

The "response letter" back mentioned at the start of the portion you posted is regarding the response the FHSAA sent to STA letting them know the sanctions being handed down. 

OK.  Thanks for the clarification. But I'm still confused.  I just ran across an article that said this:

" St. Thomas -- one of the premier football programs in both the state and the country with 10 state championships — received an allegation of improper conduct from the FHSAA, containing the text messages from Wilson to the Dwyer student. St. Thomas investigated the allegation, determined Wilson had sent the messages and turned the messages over to the FHSAA, according to the report."

So, it sounds like someone sent the information (i.e., a copy of the text message) to the FHSAA, who then forwarded that 'allegation of improper conduct' to STA -- basically saying 'OK, STA, here's what somebody sent us; please investigate this and let us know what you find out.'   Knowing that they've been caught with their hand in the cookie jar and that somebody has the pictures of the crumbs to prove it, STA conducts its own internal investigation, concludes that the text was authentic, and then self-reports what was originally reported to the FHSAA from the outset. 

Or am I still missing something?

19 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

How will the combined $10,000 salary forfeitures be used?:rolleyes:

This is a good question. I don't think the FHSAA gets the money. I believe the school district or in this case the Archdiocese over St. Thomas Aquinas gets to keep the money and put it to use. 

9 hours ago, Perspective said:

OK.  Thanks for the clarification. But I'm still confused.  I just ran across an article that said this:

" St. Thomas -- one of the premier football programs in both the state and the country with 10 state championships — received an allegation of improper conduct from the FHSAA, containing the text messages from Wilson to the Dwyer student. St. Thomas investigated the allegation, determined Wilson had sent the messages and turned the messages over to the FHSAA, according to the report."

So, it sounds like someone sent the information (i.e., a copy of the text message) to the FHSAA, who then forwarded that 'allegation of improper conduct' to STA -- basically saying 'OK, STA, here's what somebody sent us; please investigate this and let us know what you find out.'   Knowing that they've been caught with their hand in the cookie jar and that somebody has the pictures of the crumbs to prove it, STA conducts its own internal investigation, concludes that the text was authentic, and then self-reports what was originally reported to the FHSAA from the outset. 

Or am I still missing something?

To clarify a few things... yes someone did turn in STA... what the FHSAA does is this when that happens... they present the allegation to the school and at that moment they are given one of two options... either they recognize the violation of the allegation which allows them to self-report at that time or they can deny it. Denying it can actually be even more costly for a school if it is proven that a violation has been committed. Yes it is confusing someone turns them in and a self-report happens, but the FHSAA is trying to allow the schools to be forthcoming before going down the avenue of really throwing the book at anyone.  

21 minutes ago, Joshua Wilson said:

This is a good question. I don't think the FHSAA gets the money. I believe the school district or in this case the Archdiocese over St. Thomas Aquinas gets to keep the money and put it to use. 

..some thoughts.

Unless the money went to the FHSAA, seems as if it would be difficult to truly enforce the salary deduction of the coaches.  Is STA going to be required to show paystubs to the FHSAA as proof?  ...rhetoric question.

Something about FHSAA telling STA to dock their pay strikes me as odd.  In essence, FHSAA is telling the school how to punish the coaches.  What message does that send their superiors?  Dock the AD or principal's pay 5k and I bet they will do a better job in the future keeping an eye on their coaches' behavior.  The problem starts at the top, and those are the individuals who are equally as accountable as the coaches.   

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

..some thoughts.

Unless the money went to the FHSAA, seems as if it would be difficult to truly enforce the salary deduction of the coaches.  Is STA going to be required to show paystubs to the FHSAA as proof?  ...rhetoric question.

Something about FHSAA telling STA to dock their pay strikes me as odd.  In essence, FHSAA is telling the school how to punish the coaches.  What message does that send their superiors?  Dock the AD or principal's pay 5k and I bet they will do a better job in the future keeping an eye on their coaches' behavior.  The problem starts at the top, and those are the individuals who are equally as accountable as the coaches.   

St. Thomas Aquinas is subject to random audits until June 30, 2021... so yes they likely would have to show proof. I will have to look up the state statute itself to hopefully give better clarity of who gets the money. Again all of this stuff is state law, not FHSAA's own rules. 

There is no punishment at all outside of the $2500 dollar fine. They were ordered to forfeit the two $5000 dollar salaries, not fine them. So the QB club writes those two coaches a check for 5k then the school donates the 5k back to the QB club, since they didn’t have to pay the coaches in the first place. All that happens in this deal is the coaches save 5k in taxes. FHSAA is a joke as usual. 

19 hours ago, Joshua Wilson said:

To clarify a few things... yes someone did turn in STA... what the FHSAA does is this when that happens... they present the allegation to the school and at that moment they are given one of two options... either they recognize the violation of the allegation which allows them to self-report at that time or they can deny it. Denying it can actually be even more costly for a school if it is proven that a violation has been committed. Yes it is confusing someone turns them in and a self-report happens, but the FHSAA is trying to allow the schools to be forthcoming before going down the avenue of really throwing the book at anyone.  

The FHSAA will ruin you if you don’t self report when allegations are posted. They deal with cheating but they don’t deal with lying.