Study Finds Significant Brain Changes in HS Players

OldSchoolLion

The article was an interesting read. While it did not conclude that the changes to the brain observed resulted in changes in personality or cognitive functions, it did point to significant observed changes in the brain. The size of the sample (16), raises questions. However, with that said, it clearly points to the necessity for more research to be conducted.

While I have been a fan of the high school game for over 20 years now, I would not want my entertainment to be at the expense of the young players' futures. 

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

The article was an interesting read. While it did not conclude that the changes to the brain observed resulted in changes in personality or cognitive functions, it did point to significant observed changes in the brain. The size of the sample (16), raises questions. However, with that said, it clearly points to the necessity for more research to be conducted.

While I have been a fan of the high school game for over 20 years now, I would not want my entertainment to be at the expense of the young players' futures. 

Agreed. 

The other thing worth noting about the study was the acknowledgement that the second "snapshot" was taken at the end of the season.  The article states:  "It is yet unclear whether these changes in the brain are permanent . . .."   I don't know nearly enough about the human brain to pretend to reach any conclusions, but I know that there are many parts of the human body that heal with time.  I'll be particularly interested to see what the 16 MRI's show after a couple of years, 10 years, 20 years, etc.   Does the brain heal itself (assuming no more football for the subjects) or is the damage irreversible?  

Did I miss the control group in the study?

Is this normal process for 16 year olds vs just football players?

Does this happen in all sports (cross country, track, swimming, chess team)?

I have very little doubt that constantly hitting one's head has an effect on the brain, but I would love to see the long term study of 100 students from the age of 14 through 34.

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

Agreed. 

The other thing worth noting about the study was the acknowledgement that the second "snapshot" was taken at the end of the season.  The article states:  "It is yet unclear whether these changes in the brain are permanent . . .."   I don't know nearly enough about the human brain to pretend to reach any conclusions, but I know that there are many parts of the human body that heal with time.  I'll be particularly interested to see what the 16 MRI's show after a couple of years, 10 years, 20 years, etc.   Does the brain heal itself (assuming no more football for the subjects) or is the damage irreversible?  

Great question.  The key word in the statement below is "may."  So, like Clint Eastwood said, "Do I feel lucky?"   

“The brain microstructure of younger players is still rapidly developing, and that may counteract the alterations caused by repetitive head impacts,” said first author Nan-Ji Gong, a postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences at UC Berkeley.

10 hours ago, Perspective said:

Agreed. 

According to Dr Daneshvar, a top researcher in the field, findings suggest that CTE is progressive and worsens with age even in the absence of additional head trauma

14 minutes ago, s1nglewing said:

Soccer = brain trauma

far more than football, but there is no political agenda against soccer.

That is totally untrue. There is way more brain trauma in American Football. I think I know a thing or two about soccer. But why don't you point me to the research since you make your statement so emphatically. 

4 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

That is totally untrue. There is way more brain trauma in American Football. I think I know a thing or two about soccer. But why don't you point me to the research since you make your statement so emphatically. 

https://aaos-annualmeeting-presskit.org/2017/research-news/concussions_hsu/

Quick google search, not saying, I agree, but same data about concussions.

I think I once read that cheerleaders actually have the most major injuries though. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that between 1.6 and 3.8 million sports-related concussive injuries occur annually in the United States19 and account for 5% to 9% of all sport injuries.20,21 Thirty percent of all concussions in individuals between 5 to 19 years of age are sport related and result in a significant number of emergency room visits.6,22 The majority of concussions occurring in organized sports in the United States are sustained in football, wrestling, girls’ soccer, boys’ soccer, and girls’ basketball. 20,21,23,24 (Table 2) Competition concussion rates are consistently higher than practice rates, and in high school and college sports with the same rules (basketball and soccer) there is an increased incidence of concussion reported in female athletes. 20,23,25 Several studies contend the true incidence is likely higher than documented because many athletes fail to report concussions.26–28 With greater focus on concussion awareness and state legislation, the reported incidence is likely to continue to increase.

Original.00042752-201301000-00001.T2-1.jpeg

Studies on professional football players have shown that “backs” (quarterbacks, wide receivers, running backs, and defensive backs) have a 3 times greater risk of concussion than “linemen,”72 and kickoffs had a 4 times higher risk of concussion than rushing or passing plays.72 In high school football players, linebackers were the most commonly concussed on the defense and running backs on the offense. In soccer players, concussions most commonly occur from player contact both at the high school level and at the college level.73–75 At the high school level, 1 study demonstrated that 25.3% of concussions were associated with illegal activity. In a prospective study of college soccer players, the mechanism of concussion was again primarily player contact, and importantly none were related to purposeful heading.76 In hockey the most common mechanism of concussive injury is checking.

On 5/1/2019 at 5:58 PM, gatorman-uf said:

https://aaos-annualmeeting-presskit.org/2017/research-news/concussions_hsu/

Quick google search, not saying, I agree, but same data about concussions.

I think I once read that cheerleaders actually have the most major injuries though. 

The linked study refers to girls soccer as the primary culprit of concussions. However, it does not address the long term consequences of these injuries sustained by them. Do they go on to develop CTE or other serious neurological impairment? 

And, it does not address soccer versus football where boys are concerned. Is there ready data comparing these two sports? And if yes, have studies been done tracking the long term impact from playing these two sports?

I grew up in a country that played soccer and next to track it was the most popular youth sport. Now I readily admit that as a third world country the best data was not kept. However, as someone that was involved with the sport there, I can't recall any cases of long term impairment been reported. In fact, if you look at the game at its highest level, meaning the top clubs of Germany, England, Spain and others, the number of athletes that have suffered significant impairment as a result of playing soccer are far less then football. And it makes sense. While soccer is a contact sport, what passes for a legal tackle in football, would result in a red card in soccer. 

I am not an enemy of football by any means. In fact I have enjoyed the game and had I been exposed to it would likely have played.  However, I do take exception to those that try and equate the two sports as there is a wide disparity between the two.