Sub 10 100 M Run by High Schooler - Video

OldSchoolLion

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Yesterday the kid ran a wind-legal 10.13 at the Texas state championships.

I am not surprised. The ease with which he won the 9:98 hundred was the reason I was certain that at this stage of his career he would do well in Jamaica, my home country.

Believe me that's the highest compliment I could give a high school sprinter, for the Jamaican school boy/girl circuit is about the most competitive in the world. It does not always have the best high school sprinter(s), but in terms of depth, I can't think of another country or region within a country with more potential olympian sprinters in the 17-19 age group. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/12/2019 at 2:11 PM, DarterBlue2 said:

I am not surprised. The ease with which he won the 9:98 hundred was the reason I was certain that at this stage of his career he would do well in Jamaica, my home country.

Believe me that's the highest compliment I could give a high school sprinter, for the Jamaican school boy/girl circuit is about the most competitive in the world. It does not always have the best high school sprinter(s), but in terms of depth, I can't think of another country or region within a country with more potential olympian sprinters in the 17-19 age group. 

Matthew Bolling confirmed my thoughts above with a win in the Pam Am Junior games last night beating two Jamaicans into second and third in a time that was a tenth of a second faster than the second place finisher. At this stage of his career he is clearly world class and if he continues to improve will be a force in the sprints at the 2024 Olympics.

If he were running for a smaller country (with less depth) such as Jamaica he would probably pick up a spot for the current games which begin next week, if not in the individual events, then certainly for a leg in the 4x100 relays.

On 7/21/2019 at 5:40 PM, skyway said:

One of the members of the 4x100 team that set a record will be playing WR for Lakeland this year. Stack the box to stop Bowman? Have fun trying to handle Arian Smith outside!

Arian's 4x100 Mulberry HS team wasn't even good enough to make the finals heat at state, and finished 4th at region....Arian wasn't even the fastest in the 100 in 2A last year...he was good enough to finish 1st in the 200 however in 2A.  Im not real sure where you get he was setting records last year in Track or how that would translate into sure fire elite performance on the football field?

No body other than Bowman ran a sub 11 seconds in the 100 last year for Lakeland  all of last year on the 4x100 team. The Lakeland 4x100 team did finish 3rd in the finals at state, but Bowman himself didn't even break 11 seconds in the final heat for the 100

I'm not real sure with Lakeland, that loading the box is the way to slow down Bowman anyway, as its that toss sweep Lakeland runs where Bowman does his real damage.....similar to the way they ran it with Rainey.  Get him in space and let him use his acceleration is where Bowman kills you. Who's Lakeland got to fill the void Zip left at TE? What kind of blocker is Smith from the WR position? He'll be required to do a lot more at Lakeland this coming year, than he ever had to do at Mulberry............Lakeland's the perfect program for him to show everyone at the next level he's ready..........Lakeland's got a few things on the defensive front to get settled before its opening game against Manatee, as the Lakeland defense during its spring game against Venice showed them selves to be nothing more than a speed bump against a Venice offense that had a new QB and RB..........

1 hour ago, FL_HS_football said:

Arian's 4x100 Mulberry HS team wasn't even good enough to make the finals heat at state, and finished 4th at region....Arian wasn't even the fastest in the 100 in 2A last year...he was good enough to finish 1st in the 200 however in 2A.  Im not real sure where you get he was setting records last year in Track or how that would translate into sure fire elite performance on the football field?

No body other than Bowman ran a sub 11 seconds in the 100 last year for Lakeland  all of last year on the 4x100 team. The Lakeland 4x100 team did finish 3rd in the finals at state, but Bowman himself didn't even break 11 seconds in the final heat for the 100

I'm not real sure with Lakeland, that loading the box is the way to slow down Bowman anyway, as its that toss sweep Lakeland runs where Bowman does his real damage.....similar to the way they ran it with Rainey.  Get him in space and let him use his acceleration is where Bowman kills you. Who's Lakeland got to fill the void Zip left at TE? What kind of blocker is Smith from the WR position? He'll be required to do a lot more at Lakeland this coming year, than he ever had to do at Mulberry............Lakeland's the perfect program for him to show everyone at the next level he's ready..........Lakeland's got a few things on the defensive front to get settled before its opening game against Manatee, as the Lakeland defense during its spring game against Venice showed them selves to be nothing more than a speed bump against a Venice offense that had a new QB and RB..........

Dear Manatee fan who we know hates Lakeland:

You tell the board why Arian Smith was flown to Palo Alto for the Prefontaine classic which he won. And then tell us why he was flown to the PanAm U20 event where he was one of the four members of the 4x100 team alongside Boling (who's a year older). Tell us how that works and then explain how that shows Arian Smith is no big deal. The board will appreciate the entertainment value in you trying to do so :D

Bowman has a 10.41 100m time to his name. Not bad for a guy who's training to bulk and be a complete running back rather than a one-trick pony/track star.

Lakeland's defense was very young and playing against a very efficient Venice offense, known for putting up huge numbers (44 vs your Hurricanes last year) that had three (3) halves of football against other teams under their belts prior to the Lakeland spring game. The youth will improve for Lakeland's D. Oh, and they'll have in the ballpark of six new starters who've transferred in or sat out. And another starter had to play both ways, but will not in the Fall.

Anyway, so effing petty. The thread is about Boling's time. And it relates to Florida prep football because one of the members of the US U20 team Boling was on will be playing football in the state in the Fall. And you want to try to slight Lakeland's 4x100 team and the defense. You'd better hope Lakeland isn't in the heads of the Manatee players and coaches the way they're in your head. :D

8 hours ago, LakelandGator said:

If Sept 2018 until the present didnt count, that would be a true statement.

No photo description available.

https://twitter.com/CountyPolk

Congrats you beat a team I have nothing to do with.  I did attend the first half of that game and it was clear to me Lakeland was the better team so I left.  Your DC is a good friend of mine and I actually attended 3 Lakeland games rooting for them.  Not sure what your point is.  The transferring of players to create super teams has some what ruined high school football for me.  Sorry you don't get it.  

59 minutes ago, badbird said:

Congrats you beat a team I have nothing to do with.  I did attend the first half of that game and it was clear to me Lakeland was the better team so I left.  Your DC is a good friend of mine and I actually attended 3 Lakeland games rooting for them.  Not sure what your point is.  The transferring of players to create super teams has some what ruined high school football for me.  Sorry you don't get it.  

I'm not a fan of super teams, either. It is entirely a phenomenon driven by players; that's the en vogue way to do things now. To change it, the mindset of players would have to change.

I'd be interested to hear how Buldini feels about this huge influx of players, probably more pronounced for the coming year than ever before.  There are guys who were on the team last year and were slated to start that now look to be shifted back to backup roles. And/or others who started where they came from who will now be backups. How might this affect team chemistry? How is Buldini going to manage playing time, egos, cohesiveness etc? He'll have a larger number of talented, experienced players to manage than he's ever had before. 

14 minutes ago, skyway said:

I'm not a fan of super teams, either. It is entirely a phenomenon driven by players; that's the en vogue way to do things now. To change it, the mindset of players would have to change.

I'd be interested to hear how Buldini feels about this huge influx of players, probably more pronounced for the coming year than ever before.  There are guys who were on the team last year and were slated to start that now look to be shifted back to backup roles. And/or others who started where they came from who will now be backups. How might this affect team chemistry? How is Buldini going to manage playing time, egos, cohesiveness etc? He'll have a larger number of talented, experienced players to manage than he's ever had before. 

Chemistry is important and a bad apple can ruin it (see the big time WR they had a few years ago) however I wouldn't be worried with a place like Lakeland.  It is my opinion when you move into a program like that you fall in line. 

11 hours ago, skyway said:

Um, I suspect there might be some folks out there that would beg to differ with you on this point.   When you have coaches texting players from other schools (some getting caught; most not) and when you have coaches approaching kids from other teams at 7 on 7 tournaments suggesting that they should move across the state to attend their school, that tells me that the super team phenomenon is not entirely driven by players. 

59 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Um, I suspect there might be some folks out there that would beg to differ with you on this point.   When you have coaches texting players from other schools (some getting caught; most not) and when you have coaches approaching kids from other teams at 7 on 7 tournaments suggesting that they should move across the state to attend their school, that tells me that the super team phenomenon is not entirely driven by players. 

Good point.

Is Rob Weener still doing that? I don't attend as many camps/combines as in the past, but he notorious for doing that very thing you mention.

1 hour ago, LakelandGator said:

Good point.

Is Rob Weener still doing that? I don't attend as many camps/combines as in the past, but he notorious for doing that very thing you mention.

I can't speak about what may or may not have happened prior to 2010, but I've been to several 7 on 7 tournaments this decade in which Plant and Coach Weiner have participated.   Candidly, I can't ever even recall seeing Coach Weiner talk with a player from another team, other than the brief "good game, good game" exchanges that take place immediately after the game in the handshake line.  Have you personally ever witnessed anything along these lines? 

For what it's worth, my initial comments were not directed at Lakeland at all, but if you took exception to my comments or felt the need to attack another man's character based on my comments, I can only conclude that someone has a guilty conscience. 

14 hours ago, badbird said:

Chemistry is important and a bad apple can ruin it (see the big time WR they had a few years ago) however I wouldn't be worried with a place like Lakeland.  It is my opinion when you move into a program like that you fall in line. 

Interesting reference. I'm from Lakeland and am what you might call a historian of the program, but don't live there now and have no real connections or inside scoop. So, all I am aware of is many said the last two teams had much better chemistry and less selfishness than prior teams. Wasn't aware that might have been a reference to said WR.

I just look and see names who I assume have expected to start and then see the numbers of such kids are about double the number of available starting spots. Seems the potential would be high for kids who've been at Lakeland all along to resent a kid who just moved in and forced him to mop up duty. And then if you end up with something like half your starters having not been a part of the Lakeland program until ~ July, you've got guys who don't know/aren't loyal to whatever the program stands for in the first place. Everything worked out nicely last year. This year just seems more chaotic than ever before.  

3 hours ago, Perspective said:

Well, obviously coaches texting kids crosses a line. That's a grey area, though. Because sometimes "texting" might actually be something like commenting "good luck" on a twitter post. Regardless, policing what are often simple conversations seems like a bad idea. Coach at school A: "How are things looking for next season?" Right tackle of School B who knows coach from youth leagues and camps: "Well, my coach is (insert negative comment here) and our team will probably stink. What about your team?" "We are looking really strong, though we just don't have anyone comfortable playing Right tackle" "Interesting." Is it really a good idea for us to try to police conversations like that? 

Still, it all boils down to whether the players are happy with switching schools and joining forces. Right now, they are. And it's very easy for them to have the kind of conversation described above. I think most people can see the absurdity in the FHSAA trying to monitor the private conversations of teenagers, when nothing remotely criminal is being discussed.

23 minutes ago, skyway said:

Well, obviously coaches texting kids crosses a line. That's a grey area, though. Because sometimes "texting" might actually be something like commenting "good luck" on a twitter post. Regardless, policing what are often simple conversations seems like a bad idea. Coach at school A: "How are things looking for next season?" Right tackle of School B who knows coach from youth leagues and camps: "Well, my coach is (insert negative comment here) and our team will probably stink. What about your team?" "We are looking really strong, though we just don't have anyone comfortable playing Right tackle" "Interesting." Is it really a good idea for us to try to police conversations like that? 

Still, it all boils down to whether the players are happy with switching schools and joining forces. Right now, they are. And it's very easy for them to have the kind of conversation described above. I think most people can see the absurdity in the FHSAA trying to monitor the private conversations of teenagers, when nothing remotely criminal is being discussed.

Although I can make a distinction in the communications between two players from different schools and the communications between a coach from one school and a player from another school, the FHSAA rules don't seem to make that distinction.  In your example above, it appears to me that the coach crosses over the "how's it going?" line when he starts talking about needing the very position played by the kid he's 'talking' to.  That looks a lot like recruiting to me, subtle as it may be.  And, at least under the current FHSAA rules, it's illegal.  Right?  I could be wrong, but isn't this exactly what STA just got in trouble for? 

College coaches aren't allowed to communicate with kids who play for other teams, are they (at least not until they enter the portal)? 

Pro teams aren't allowed to communicate with guys who play for other teams, are they?  I believe that's called tampering (at least in one of the professional leagues).  

Why should high school be different? 

Do you think high school coaches should be able to reach out to kids from other schools and expressly encourage them to switch schools?   

I know this whole thing gets pretty complicated and I know the slope got a little slippery with the changes the legislature made a few years back.  It occurs to me that the FHSAA is simply doing what it can to keep high school sports from turning into the wild, wild west.  If that's not what the majority of the high schools in Florida want, they have the power to change that.  Right?

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

Although I can make a distinction in the communications between two players from different schools and the communications between a coach from one school and a player from another school, the FHSAA rules don't seem to make that distinction.  In your example above, it appears to me that the coach crosses over the "how's it going?" line when he starts talking about needing the very position played by the kid he's 'talking' to.  That looks a lot like recruiting to me, subtle as it may be.  And, at least under the current FHSAA rules, it's illegal.  Right?  I could be wrong, but isn't this exactly what STA just got in trouble for? 

College coaches aren't allowed to communicate with kids who play for other teams, are they (at least not until they enter the portal)? 

Pro teams aren't allowed to communicate with guys who play for other teams, are they?  I believe that's called tampering (at least in one of the professional leagues).  

Why should high school be different? 

Do you think high school coaches should be able to reach out to kids from other schools and expressly encourage them to switch schools?   

I know this whole thing gets pretty complicated and I know the slope got a little slippery with the changes the legislature made a few years back.  It occurs to me that the FHSAA is simply doing what it can to keep high school sports from turning into the wild, wild west.  If that's not what the majority of the high schools in Florida want, they have the power to change that.  Right?

Well, I get what you are saying. I suppose the messages could be, easily, even more vague and still convey the point. The coach could mention how great such and such player was the year before and how they'll miss him. Of course, the player can easily head to hudl, rivals, the team web page etc and see the players they had and lost. Really, a coach doesn't need to say anything. Everyone knows if Team A had a senior QB the previous season. Terry and Brady Dean knew STA graduated Curt Casteel and would have a new, unproven QB. 

Mostly, we're talking about how to practically-and constitutionally- monitor such communications. Can-in fact, should-governing agencies be requiring teenagers to turn over their personal cell phones and private conversations whenever they wish? What's the justification? That maybe they've talked with their buddies about football? What precedent would that set? Should governing agencies make you and I hand over our cell phones to review all of our private conversations because maybe we discussed business or something? Or because someone commented on Twitter that so-and-so messaged someone?

Where there would be standing to do check cell phones would be if a coach texted a kid that didn't want to be texted.  But, as long as the parties involved in the conversations wish for those conversations to remain private, they can and should remain private. It's hardly the end of the world. If a kid is willing to commute further every day to attend school B, and the school has room, the kid should be able to go to School B. Even if he's good at football.