Who Is This Famous Central FL HS Coach? Inman Sherman/South Sumter

OldSchoolLion

This coach is arguably the most successful central FL hs coach to never win or share a state title.  Only a handful of central FL coaches, active or retired, won more games in their careers.

He spent over 30 consecutive years at one school and won over 250 games.  Led his teams to 17 district titles, one state title game appearance, and numerous state semi appearances.

Who is this famous man and where did he coach? 

This one was bugging me. I thought I should know the answer, but I just couldn't drag it up. I cheated and looked it up. Maybe this is the correct answer and if not, still an impressive run.

Bill Gierke With a career mark of 258-73-1 at Edgewater (2000-10), Dr. Phillips (1998-99) and Evans (1982-96), he only trails former Winter Park coach Larry Gergley (274-109-2) in victories.

8 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Or... as mentioned above.

Larry Gergley at Winter Springs.

It is not Gergley or Gierke.  Gierke had a share of a state title at Evans and compiled his wins at multiple schools.  Gergley's teams at Winter Park won 250+ games and appeared in multiple state semis, but they never made a state final appearance.  

The coach I have in mind had 250+ career wins at 1 school and made it to a state final.

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

Who is Billy Turner (Chamberlain)?

Billy Turner spent 30 years at Chamberlain, won 254 career games, and appeared in a state final.  However, a number of his 254 wins came at Hillsborough High, where he coached prior to Chamberlain.  So, it is not Billy Turner.  Great guess, though

2 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

Inman Sherman - South Sumter

It is Inman Sherman, who spent 32 years at Bushnell South Sumter.  Sherman retired after the 2015 season.  His teams won 254 games and appeared in the 2005 2A final versus Chaminade.  Between 2000-2002, Sumter played in a tough 2A class and made the state semis 3 years in a row.  His teams faced off with Bolles 9 times in the playoffs, winning 3 games and coming within a TD twice. 

It is probably a toss-up between Sheman and Larry Gergley of Winter Park for most successful central FL coach to never win a state title.  South Sumter Head Coach Inman Sherman

And, I'm willing to bet that he didn't recruit and that SS got very few transfers over the years. The man simply developed his teams from homegrown talent where very few on his teams were super stars. In 2016 SS went 10-2 which was probably still the effects of Sherman's last year at SS. Since then SS has won only 5 games.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I was actually itching to treat some wager some money on some sports matches that are happening above-board now. I wanted to let you guys identify that I did spot what I ruminate on to be the kindest site in the USA. If you fall short of to get in on the spirit, check it out-moded: [url=https://pokeronline.guru/online-gambling/]https://pokeronline.guru/online-gambling/[/url]
    • Perhaps the best RB in Tampa Bay iin 2023 saw his program close, and is looking for a home. If he stays in the area,Venice is a good bet. (Lakeland may be as well).
    • And if that same newsletter asked the Osceola County Sheriff Department, what do you think the response would be? If you asked, members of the Chamber of Commerce? (Essentially a union of businesses) If you asked a group of nurses? If you asked a group of lawyers? Also a union cares about the working conditions of their members, but the working conditions of teachers are the learning conditions of students as well. People are attracted to careers because of the values that come with those careers. Political Parties attract people based on their values. So it shouldn't be surprising that certain professions attract certain people in certain careers. You act as if the principal's first question when we have a 5,000+ teachers shortage in this state is "who do you vote for? And are you a member of the union?"
    • I feel like y'all are always solid so I don't see y'all going no worse than 7-3. Biggest question mark for Cocoa is their O-line since they are only returning 1 and on the defensive side they only return their blue chip edge in their front 7 
    • Coach Wiseman, let me just preface this by saying that you were the best HC Sarasota's program has had in the last 20+ years. You brought them from being a perpetual losing program to the doorstep of competing with Venice for a district title and a deep playoff run. SHS will curse the day they fired you now that they are back in a rut. You are a true class act, and nothing will ever convince me otherwise.  Our backfield is certainly sparse right now. We do have Dorian Jones, a rising sophomore runningback whom did considerably well considering his limited playing time last season. Our offense will need an overhaul with the graduation of 3 offensive linemen and almost our entire receiving corps. Our defensive line will be strong with the return of Ke'shawn Vaughn, Elijah Jones, and Asharri Charles. Our linebacking corps graduates virtually everybody but should have at least one bright spot with the return of Ben Zarkawiecz. Our defensive backfield is still a work in progress with the graduation of Lester and Platt. At the moment, we have more question marks than exclamation points. And that's not a good feeling with the kind of competition Venice is going to face. 
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online
  • Popular Contributors