Hillsborough County Changing Mascots

gatorman-uf

The only real mascot changes were at the elementary and middle school level. Chamberlain and East Bay High Schools will keep mascots, but have changes made to the band and principal dress? during football games.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/gradebook/2019/05/13/school-mascots-are-changing-in-hillsborough-county-to-reflect-sensitivity-toward-the-native-american-community/

1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

Terrible news. Political correctness runs everything. When does it stop? 

Will they get rid of Hawks, and Falcons for people who have phobias to birds? 

What about people allergic to dogs? Etc

shaking my dam head 

But you haven't seen West Monroe, La., changing THEIR mascot!:)

3 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

The only real mascot changes were at the elementary and middle school level. Chamberlain and East Bay High Schools will keep mascots, but have changes made to the band and principal dress? during football games.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/gradebook/2019/05/13/school-mascots-are-changing-in-hillsborough-county-to-reflect-sensitivity-toward-the-native-american-community/

The only schools that are succumbing to the PC pressure, are out West, up North, and FLORIDA!

Disclaimer...my comments are not politically motivated....just looking at things objectively.

Fans dress up as their mascots to show spirit.  Over the years, I have seen numerous white people at games dressed up as American Indians with their faces painted red.  As a society, we seem to find this "acceptable."  Yet, I am not aware of any other race of people that is used as a mascot in pro or amateur sports.

If white people showed up at a sporting event with their faces painted yellow or black, there would be outrage...yet somehow this is considered "acceptable" for American Indians.  This isn't just "liberals" calling for a change...American Indians themselves have been calling for a change for years.  IMO, American Indians calling for a change has nothing to do with political correctness...that's a matter of people not knowing what it is like to walk in their shoes as a minority.     

http://www.ncai.org/proudtobe

https://www.apa.org/pi/oema/resources/indian-mascots

5 minutes ago, badbird said:

because we have a bunch of liberals.   no one is making fun of them by dressing up as them like they did blacks.

Only FL is controlled heavily by the conservative party which is the same party who loves to screw over public schools and help fund rich sports academies like IMG instead

22 minutes ago, badbird said:

because we have a bunch of liberals.   no one is making fun of them by dressing up as them like they did blacks.

I could care less about either party but I will never support the conservative party because of what they have done in Lake City

Turned this city into a dump that will never get any respect

If not for some "liberals" who had the courage to allow blacks to play and/or coach in football and other sports many years ago, and caught hell for it(some had their lives threatened), the game would not be what it is today.  I am someone from that era, and experienced it firsthand.

Call them whatever you want, liberal or otherwise...they were men like Sam Budnyk who looked beyond a man's color, demonstrated compassion for their brother of any race/color...they were the "liberals" of their day, and isn't it ironic that today such people are looked up to and applauded.  Maybe there is a lesson in there somewhere.  

6 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

If not for some "liberals" who had the courage to allow blacks to play and/or coach in football and other sports many years ago, and caught hell for it(some had their lives threatened), the game would not be what it is today.  I am someone from that era, and experienced it firsthand.

Call them whatever you want, liberal or otherwise...they were men like Sam Budnyk who looked beyond a man's color, demonstrated compassion for their brother of any race/color...they were the "liberals" of their day, and isn't it ironic that today such people are looked up to and applauded.  Maybe there is a lesson in there somewhere.  

What's even more sad is there are still people out there who hate the idea of equality between different races

That speaks more to morality than political views, anyone who is gonna look down on someone because of their race or Heritage are just pathetic human beings

Everyone is created different in their own way so it's insane how some want to build up this intolerant behavior towards someone just because they look different 

Lots of schools have changed mascots. Some of the names were better, St. Johns University changed from Redmen to Red Storm. 

I think mascots like the Redskins need to go.
I think don't think necessarily think names like Warriors need to go, because I don't necessarily believe Warriors automatically means Native Americans. I think you can do a Warriors mascot as just a fighter, knight, crusader, etc. It doesn't have to be Indian dress. 
http://gph.is/1d4wtzp

I am usually more okay with specific names of the tribes (assuming tribal permission). As always, it depends on how the school, fans, and administration handle the idea of the Indian mascots. 

The same people who often protect Redskins, Indians, etc mascot names are insulted by T-Shirts like the following. c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636.jpg

These Indians are not native to America. They are native to India. They traveled to present day America from South Asia and it was estimated that half died on the journey. So going back was out of the possibility. So they were essentially stuck here. 

Historians and scientists have traced Nordic Vikings back to this land further than the native Indians. 

9 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I could care less about either party but I will never support the conservative party because of what they have done in Lake City

Turned this city into a dump that will never get any respect

Why can't you understand and realize that many parents and children want choices in education, and don't support the one-size-fits all public school system? There is more to life than each public school having the same amount of D-1 athletes to achieve some sort of parity in High School Football.

3 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

Why can't you understand and realize that many parents and children want choices in education, and don't support the one-size-fits all public school system? There is more to life than each public school having the same amount of D-1 athletes to achieve some sort of parity in High School Football.

The reason for the public schools in FL being so bad is because they are so poorly managed and funded 

And since when does a sports academy become the better "Education" option

That speaks to the level of effort the state legislation has made in that they would rather back a sports academy than give natural schools the proper funding and flexibility to operate

The state gives these public schools useless curriculum to work with and force into scheduled class time instead of allowing the teachers to actually teach and yet these non state regulated schools aren't under the same restrictions which is being done intentionally to steer rich people who can afford private schools to there where they will get proper education while people who can't afford it are having to work with nothing and try and make themselves successful

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

The state gives these public schools useless curriculum to work with and force into scheduled class time instead of allowing the teachers to actually teach and yet these non state regulated schools aren't under the same restrictions which is being done intentionally to steer rich people who can afford private schools to there where they will get proper education while people who can't afford it are having to work with nothing and try and make themselves successful

On top of that will claim they have no money for these schools yet have no problem giving a sports academy millions a year in funding under the table who charges over 60k a semester 

Sounds like a rip-off to me but no surprise coming from those jokes in Tallahassee who have never cared about the public schools 

On 5/14/2019 at 11:04 AM, OldSchoolLion said:

Comparing a mascot to allowing people of color to play isn’t the same.

3 minutes ago, badbird said:

Comparing a mascot to allowing people of color to play isn’t the same.

My comment was not an attempt to make such a comparison, badbird.  You implied Florida is caving to political pressure about mascots because we have a "bunch of liberals."  My point was simply that putting people who are sensitive about racial overtones and other touchy subjects into a box, ie liberal, conservative, etc is not very fair or even accurate.  That is EXACTLY what people did back in the day and why some coaches were treated poorly by the press and fans. 

Vince Lombardi was tough as nails.  He supported gay players playing for him and even threatened to fire anyone on the spot for questioning their manhood.  Think some folks back then didn't call him a "liberal" for taking such a position?    The irony is that those people who looked beyond color, religion, and sexual orientation in the past were the bleeding heart liberals of their day..or so some claimed them to be.  And thank God we had them around, or we may still be living in the Stone Ages with segregated football...which we had as little as 50 years ago.

6 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

My comment was not an attempt to make such a comparison, badbird.  You implied Florida is caving to political pressure about mascots because we have a "bunch of liberals."  My point was simply that putting people who are sensitive about racial overtones and other touchy subjects into a box, ie liberal, conservative, etc is not very fair or even accurate.  That is EXACTLY what people did back in the day and why some coaches were treated poorly by the press and fans. 

Vince Lombardi was tough as nails.  He supported gay players playing for him and even threatened to fire anyone on the spot for questioning their manhood.  Think some folks back then didn't call him a "liberal" for taking such a position?    The irony is that those people who looked beyond color, religion, and sexual orientation in the past were the bleeding heart liberals of their day..or so some claimed them to be.  And thank God we had them around, or we may still be living in the Stone Ages with segregated football...which we had as little as 50 years ago.

Vince Lombardi's brother was gay. Also he had a gay RB on the team when he coached the Redskins, oops sorry GatormanUF, WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM!,  by the name of Ray McDonald. Politically, Vince Lombardi was a JFK Democrat, but one would have to wonder what the man would have thought of Bernie Sanders, AOC, and Elizabeth Warren. OldSchoolLion, if you think that any person who looks beyond another person's color, religion, and sexual orientation is a "bleeding heart liberal", you are mistaken.

15 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

Vince Lombardi's brother was gay. Also he had a gay RB on the team when he coached the Redskins, oops sorry GatormanUF, WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM!,  by the name of Ray McDonald. Politically, Vince Lombardi was a JFK Democrat, but one would have to wonder what the man would have thought of Bernie Sanders, AOC, and Elizabeth Warren. OldSchoolLion, if you think that any person who looks beyond another person's color, religion, and sexual orientation is a "bleeding heart liberal", you are mistaken.

Not at all, sir.  We need people who question the status quo.  Unfortunately, sometimes when people do so and demonstrate, sensitivity toward things, they get labeled, ie snowflakes, liberals, etc.        

On 5/14/2019 at 8:29 AM, OldSchoolLion said:

Disclaimer...my comments are not politically motivated....just looking at things objectively.

Fans dress up as their mascots to show spirit.  Over the years, I have seen numerous white people at games dressed up as American Indians with their faces painted red.  As a society, we seem to find this "acceptable."  Yet, I am not aware of any other race of people that is used as a mascot in pro or amateur sports.

If white people showed up at a sporting event with their faces painted yellow or black, there would be outrage...yet somehow this is considered "acceptable" for American Indians.  This isn't just "liberals" calling for a change...American Indians themselves have been calling for a change for years.  IMO, American Indians calling for a change has nothing to do with political correctness...that's a matter of people not knowing what it is like to walk in their shoes as a minority.     

http://www.ncai.org/proudtobe

https://www.apa.org/pi/oema/resources/indian-mascots

Fighting Irish, Aztecs, Vikings etc actually quite a few!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_sports_team_and_mascot_names

On 5/14/2019 at 6:06 PM, nolebull813 said:

These Indians are not native to America. They are native to India. They traveled to present day America from South Asia and it was estimated that half died on the journey. So going back was out of the possibility. So they were essentially stuck here. 

Historians and scientists have traced Nordic Vikings back to this land further than the native Indians. 

Man, you are full of s***. Where did you get this information from, a klan rally?!?!?!?! The native tribes being from Asia has been a proven fact...but sir you will not have me to believe that Northern European tribesmen resided in common day U.S. before Native Indians sir. Oh sorry, you probably meant those Vikings landed common day Greenland...which is technically North America so they were here first and should be recognized as such. 

People these days will often use whatever "proof" they find in a book or online and force it as truth. You mention "historians & scientists" as if its your proof. Next time, show receipts, Copy and paste your absurd claims so that I can go at the writer and not the misguided messenger.