Who Was This Great HS Wide Receiver? MJ McGriff

OldSchoolLion

• Two-time 8A All-State first team member
  • 178 career receptions was a school record
  • As a junior, earned All-Area co-Offensive Player of the Year after hauling in 110 catches for 1,545 yards and 22 touchdowns, all school and area records
  • Also played basketball and ran track in high school
  • Went to University of Illinois and eventually transferred

Who am I and where did I play in high school?

1114_TCSP_GatewayVero

This one is for the Treasure Coast fans out there.  It is MJ McGriff, who broke receiving records while at Vero Beach.  He transferred from Illinois to the University of Akron after redshirting his freshman year.  Last season, as a redshirt sophomore at Akron, he played in 3 games.  His cousin, Tyrone McGriff, played football at Florida A&M and spent three seasons in the NFL with the Steelers.

10 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

That is not a denial of googling Vero Beach, University of Illinois, or his stats.  

Why would I need to Google Vero Beach when I can clearly see the logo on their helmet??

I've been doing team logos for my rankings for past 2 months, I don't need a Google search to figure out what the helmet decal for Vero Beach looks like

25 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

That is not a denial of googling Vero Beach, University of Illinois, or his stats.  

And  why do you assume I would need to Google it to get the answer?

Do you assume anyone who gets it right was googling it or do you just think I'm not smart enough to get it right on my own?

Just now, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

And  why do you assume I would need to Google it to get the answer?

Do you assume anyone who gets it right was googling it or do you just think I'm not smart enough to get it right on my own?

Still not a denial of googling the answer... your current tactic is called Whataboutism... 

Knowing that is Vero Beach is one thing, knowing MJ McGriff attend the University of Illinois, or was a two time 8A All State member, or his stats... not buying it. I have no doubt that a person from the Treasure Coast might be able to name him, but a kid from North Central Florida, when MJ McGriff has not made any real impact on the College or Professional.

Usually, OldSchool does this, the play/team/coach is a long time coach or is a player who made an impact on the college or professional level. MJ McGriff is none of those things. 

If this was a question about Trent Whittemore from Buchholz (a local rival of yours) that is one thing, but a guy with little impact beyond his high school area, not buying it. 

Watched him in a playoff game against Manatee,  and I'll be honest coming into the game I felt the stats he had posted up to that point was more hype that anything else. He had himself a really good game, but Vero had no answer for the Manatee offense that night. After the game he obviously changed my opinion about his talent level!

11 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

This one is for the Treasure Coast fans out there.  It is MJ McGriff, who broke receiving records while at Vero Beach.  He transferred from Illinois to the University of Akron after redshirting his freshman year.  Last season, as a redshirt sophomore at Akron, he played in 3 games.  His cousin, Tyrone McGriff, played football at Florida A&M and spent three seasons in the NFL with the Steelers.

Man u late on this one, two years later Michael Smith broke the TD record with 24

5 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

Still not a denial of googling the answer... your current tactic is called Whataboutism... 

Knowing that is Vero Beach is one thing, knowing MJ McGriff attend the University of Illinois, or was a two time 8A All State member, or his stats... not buying it. I have no doubt that a person from the Treasure Coast might be able to name him, but a kid from North Central Florida, when MJ McGriff has not made any real impact on the College or Professional.

Usually, OldSchool does this, the play/team/coach is a long time coach or is a player who made an impact on the college or professional level. MJ McGriff is none of those things. 

If this was a question about Trent Whittemore from Buchholz (a local rival of yours) that is one thing, but a guy with little impact beyond his high school area, not buying it. 

This is a truth moment but most Vero players get lost in the depth on college teams

• 9 months later...
On 5/16/2019 at 8:30 AM, OldSchoolLion said:
  • Two-time 8A All-State first team member
  • 178 career receptions was a school record
  • As a junior, earned All-Area co-Offensive Player of the Year after hauling in 110 catches for 1,545 yards and 22 touchdowns, all school and area records
  • Also played basketball and ran track in high school
  • Went to University of Illinois and eventually transferred

Who am I and where did I play in high school?

1114_TCSP_GatewayVero

Skye Graham’s brother