Spring Game 2

DarterBlue2

So, I watched the first three quarters of the Winter Park vs Dr. Phillips game tonight. I had to leave at the end of the third as I had another commitment. Both teams showed well. When I left, Winter Park held a 21-7 lead. However, the Sentinel reports that Dp. rallied to win 28-21 in the fourth quarter. Sorry I was not able to stay for the fireworks.

Thoughts on the game: Both teams are solid. Dp. should have scored first as a half back pass delivered by Patti (I am guessing he is related to Nick and is the same style QB), found a wide open receiver in stride. Unfortunately, for some unknown reason, after hauling it in, he stumbled and fell. On the next play Patti threw an interception which WP proceeded to drive down field and score. DP utilized two QBs, Patti and the tall kid that transferred from West Orange last year. Patti is quite the athlete, and it is kind of like having a running back with a good arm playing QB. However, he threw two picks before leading DP to their fourth quarter comeback. For me, as of now, I would take the WO transfer as my starter, but we shall see. Winter Park looked good which they don't usually do in the spring. The have a number of very athletic kids at receiver who can make plays after the catch and the QB is capable of tucking the ball and running for decent yardage. Perhaps the most interesting thing I noted was that the WP defensive interior, which was undersized and did not look that impressive to the eye, was able to contain the DP running game well for the three quarters I saw. 

Look for both of these teams to make a run in 8A come fall. 

DP will need the following to compete for the 8A title:

1) Consistent QB play. Patti does not turn the ball over as much as the spring game showed. This is the clear #1 factor by a longshot. Joe is Nick/Tony Patti’s cousin.

2) Depth on defense. The defensive line, defensive backfield and linebacker core do not have much proven talent beyond ~12 players. Many of those guys are high level, but young. 

3) DP averages around 270 on the OLINE but the talent is young. They need a big summer and this needs to be a strength of the team. The OLINE did not open enough holes last year. IF this offensive line comes together and plays to its potential DP’s offense will be lethal. This is the biggest opportunity area for DP heading into the summer alongside QB development.

4) A breakout season by RB Brandon Fields, a senior committed to South Carolina who did not play in the spring game due to baseball. See #3 - that will determine how good of a season Fields has. He needs open space and can be a bruiser.

This DP team has talent in every class, primarily the class of 2022 (sophomores this upcoming season). The wide receiver core is loaded - 6 deep - running back is loaded 3 deep, and the offensive line has the size to take control if they have a good summer. The defense is top-heavy with talent but needs depth.

D1 offers by class (& projected # of additional d1 offers)

2020: 4 (3-4) — 7-8 total

2021: 2 (3-4) — 5-6 total

2022: 2 (5-6) — 7-8 total (TBD)

DP depth. Projected high impact players.

* D1 offer

^ D1AA offer

(2) multi-position player

QB - Joe Patti (So) / Brenden Cyr

RB - Brandon Fields *

RB - Nivon Holland

RB - Rodney Wells Jr (So)

ATH - Jaydan Taylor (So) (2) *

WR - Joanes Fortilien (So) *

WR - Jacquez Jones

WR - Jalen Washington (Jr)

WR - Ledger Hatch (Jr) *

WR/TE - Trey Schyck

TE - Jackson Hodor

T - Kyjuan Phillips (Jr) — 6’4, 270

T - Derek Haupt — 6’4, 280 ^

G - Austin Purpura (Jr) — 6’2, 280

G - Devin Hill (So) — 6’2, 280

C - Reggie Hayes (Jr) — 6’1, 245

-

CB - Tevin Griffey *

S - Jadai Smith (Jr) *

S - Jalen Moore (Jr)

CB - Kameryn Metcalf (So)

DE - Shemar Williams

DE - Shi Gaskin

DL - Malik Carson

DL - Chris Henson

MLB - Stephen Dix *

OLB- Jean Charles (So)

OLB/SS - Steve Julssaint

OLB - Jaydan Taylor (So) (2) *

3 hours ago, Pipe Dreams said:

Winter Park and DP should both be top 6 in CFL to start the year. I’d probably have them each in the 2-5 range.

I also like Jones, Apopka, Seminole, Lake Mary and Mainland.

Olympia could be much better. Wekiva could drop off some. West Orange is a bit of a wildcard.

Both Lake Nona and Timber Creek looked solid. Not deep playoff threats, but teams that will compete for playoff spots and on a given night could bring down any of the better teams. So far, Lake Nona's QB impressed me the most of the ones I have seen this spring.