Apopka Jamboree

DarterBlue2

First the bad news: Apopka does not have an offensive identity and must develop one over the summer or it could be a long, disappointing season ending without a playoff appearance. 

Now the good news: There is enough skill talent to do it. However, the offensive line must develop quickly. It would also help if the injuries get better over the summer and a few fresh, new faces show up in the freshman class. Finally, the defense was solid in all aspects of the game holding Atlantic Coast to minuscule yards (I don't think they had a first down in a half of football) and making critical sacks, a forced fumble and an interception, against an athletic, Raines offense, holding them to six points in two quarters. In fact, you could argue that it was not the D that gave up the six points as Apopka's offense fumbled away the football at about their own nine with about 40 seconds left in the game. Raines scored with 14.8 seconds left in the game, and intercepted Apopka's hail Mary to end the contest. To hold the defending state champion to six on a night when the offense could not move the ball to save it's life against them was pretty impressive. 

Apopka has plenty of talent. However, at this stage, its offense is the least developed of the eight teams I have seen play this spring. Now talent wise, it if far from the worst of those eight teams. An offensive identity needs to be developed or the team will struggle to score against decent teams.  Lohman, who was our brightest offensive spark in the first game against Atlantic Coast, went down late in the second quarter of the second quarter of that game and was on crutches for the second game. I hope the injury is not severe as he will be needed to help spark the team come summer. On defense Jaylin Carter had a stellar night recording sacks and forcing the Raines fumble.

Surprisingly, Spruce Creek, which is not usually a football power, was the best of the four teams at the jamboree winning both of their halves in impressive style. Their running back, number 4, and quarterback, number 9 are both D1 talents in my opinion. They beat Atlantic Coast 28-7 and was leading Raines 7-0 more than midway in their first quarter when I left to make the long trip home. Apopka won its half against Atlantic Coast 2-0 as the D brought Atlantic Coast down in its own end zone when they started from their own 3, and lost 0-6 against Raines. 

I did not see Fred Young, who was our best receiver last year on the sidelines. I don't know whether he has left school via transfer, or if he has quit football. Either way, the loss is a pity, as Fred was a very good receiver and with Apopka running more out of the spread I would have expected him to come into his own this season.