8A Region 1 - An Early Look

OldSchoolLion

Unlike many of the regions in the upper classes, this one will look very familiar.  In fact, 7 of Region 4's playoff teams from last year return.  Wekiva is the only one not returning.  9 teams in the new region were in the playoffs last year(teams with a double asterisk).  Hagerty and Oakleaf both move up from 7A Region 1.

There's a lot of parity in Region 1.  Am not sure one can safely say any of the district champions is a lock.  For example, in District 2, Deland beat Seminole and Flag Coast last year by only a TD or less.  In District 4, Apopka went to the wire last year with West Orange, winning 27-21.

3 very good teams that stayed home last season (Bartram Trail, Sandalwood, and Seminole) will be hungry to get back to the playoffs.  Sandalwood is loaded with talent.  Region 1 could easily end up as one of the most competitive regions regardless of classification.  

Team records from this past season are listed below.

District 1

**Mandarin 11-4

Bartram Trail 8-3

Sandalwood 7-3

**Oakleaf 5-6

Nease 3-8

District 2

**Deland 8-3

Seminole 8-2

**Flagler Palm Coast 7-4

Spruce Creek 5-6

West Port 2-8

University 1-9

District 3

**Winter Park 10-2

**Oviedo 8-4

**Hagerty 6-5

Colonial 5-4

Timber Creek 4-6

University 2-8

District 4

**Apopka 9-4

**West Orange 7-4

Lake Mary 5-5

Ocoee 5-6

Lake Brantley 4-6

Evans 1-9

Spruce Creek showed very well in the Spring Jamboree. They have a running back with an offer from Alabama and an athlete at QB that can run and pass very effectively. Their defense is more of a bend but not break kind and lacks the savagery I .like to see in my D. But it was effective against both Raines and Atlantic Coast.

And while Atlantic Coast did not impress me much, Raines is still chock full of athletes. Now playing Spruce Creek with only a fifteen minute break after going two very intense quarters with Apopka may have affected their performance; however, I would make Creek coequal favorite to win district 2 right this minute. 

22 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Spruce Creek showed very well in the Spring Jamboree. They have a running back with an offer from Alabama and an athlete at QB that can run and pass very effectively. Their defense is more of a bend but not break kind and lacks the savagery I .like to see in my D. But it was effective against both Raines and Atlantic Coast.

And while Atlantic Coast did not impress me much, Raines is still chock full of athletes. Now playing Spruce Creek with only a fifteen minute break after going two very intense quarters with Apopka may have affected their performance; however, I would make Creek coequal favorite to win district 2 right this minute. 

This region could be one where a 7-3 or even 8-2 team stays home for the playoffs.  Exciting to hear Spruce Creek will be competitive.  

Sandalwood has the best overall talent in probably all of 8A to make a run. Sandalwood could had easily been the Mandarin of last year, but one thing that kills them is Coaching. for the past 4-5 years Sandalwood has probably has just as much talent as Trinity Christian, but when it comes to X's and O's Gies (the head coach) isn't that dude, BUT has hired a very good OC. If Gies gives him the green light, then lookout Sandalwood would make a very deep run. I'm a former player from Mandarin and Im saying Sandalwood has more talent but Mandarin has better coaching. Bartram and Oak leaf both are going to bring something to the table. So don't count them out. Nease.....lets just leave it at that. (would lose every district game this year). Mandarin has their qb, but lost A lot of firepower so they will be young but the defense will be just as strong. So we'll see what happens..

1 minute ago, joeycash2004 said:

Sandalwood has the best overall talent in probably all of 8A to make a run. Sandalwood could had easily been the Mandarin of last year, but one thing that kills them is Coaching. for the past 4-5 years Sandalwood has probably has just as much talent as Trinity Christian, but when it comes to X's and O's Gies (the head coach) isn't that dude, BUT has hired a very good OC. If Gies gives him the green light, then lookout Sandalwood would make a very deep run. I'm a former player from Mandarin and Im saying Sandalwood has more talent but Mandarin has better coaching. Bartram and Oak leaf both are going to bring something to the table. So don't count them out. Nease.....lets just leave it at that. (would lose every district game this year). Mandarin has their qb, but lost A lot of firepower so they will be young but the defense will be just as strong. So we'll see what happens..

I've heard good things about the Nease coach

Even though they probably won't be a threat this year they may get good moving forward

4 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

The question is how many make it in the playoffs

This region is stacked 

me personally I think Sandalwood had best chance but depends on coaching.. and I hate going against my school but I was always been told to be honest.

4 minutes ago, joeycash2004 said:

me personally I think Sandalwood had best chance but depends on coaching.. and I hate going against my school but I was always been told to be honest.

I just personally don't trust sandalwood, I'm thinking defending champs have to be favorite right now but we shall see