Mr. Football

gatorman-uf

Does the best high school player always win?
Is winning a Mr. Football similar to the SI Cover or Madden Cover curse where your professional career is mediocre at best?
Is it even a good sign that you are going to be a star in college football?
We can't really judge anybody from 2013 on

1992    Jammi German    Ft. Myers
1993    Shevin Wiggins    Manatee
1994    Daunte Culpepper    Vanguard
1995    Frankie Franklin    Sandalwood
1996    Travis Henry    Frostproof
1997    Zain Gilmore    Robinson
1998    Anquan Boldin    Pahokee
1999    Willie Green    Osceola
2000    Adrian McPherson    Southeast
2001    Leon Washington    Jackson
2002    Andre Reese    Taylor
2003    Xavier Lee    Seabreeze
2004    Antone Smith    Pahokee
2005    Tim Tebow    Nease
2006    Robert Marve    Plant
2007    Jacory Harris    Miami Northwestern
2008    A.J. Graham    Godby
2009    Matt Elam    Dwyer
2010    Quentin Williams    Jefferson
2011    Randy "Duke" Johnson    Norland
2012    Derrick Henry    Yulee
2013    Dalvin Cook    Miami Central
2014    Deandre Johnson    First Coast
2015    DeShawn Smith    Nature Coast Technical
2016    Nick Tronti    Ponte Vedra
2017    Bryce Carpenter    Venice
2018    Carson Beck    Mandarin

Worth noting that the award is intended to honor the best high school player.   It's not a "most likely to succeed at the next level or the level after that" award.   Similar in some respects to the Heisman Trophy.  Both reward the player for what he did over the course of a particular season (and, in some cases, influenced by his career).  Let the recruiting services dishing out stars and the Mel Kipers of the world predict success at the next level.   Oh, by the way, they'll miss on several players too.  B)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• This will be an interesting story to follow.  Venice has no proven RB headed in to spring which will be a first for a long time.  They have produced several Dairy Farmers player of the years in that position.  They also will have a massive offensive line with 2 three year starters who return as well as some stud young kids.  They will probably average around 6'4 295 on the line which is huge for Venice standards.  I just wonder if this will change before the start of the season.  I still fell like someone will show up.
    • Are you still talking to me??  Thought I was pretty clear for you not to waste your breath on this subject matter, but somehow you are missing the point.  Teacher unions have limited power in FL because the candidates they overwhelming support keep losing.  If they had won, the teacher union vote had a lot to do with it and would be wielding that power.  Osceola county which isn't a GOP stronghold during the past two national elections had the journalism students for the OHS monthly newsletter (Kowboy Jake) interview the faculty as to their political leanings.  A sample of about 30 teachers that were interviewed were voting as follows:  25 D vs 5 R.  Enough said.  
    • You missed the point of my union post. Teacher unions in strong union states have power. Florida unions have zero. They cant strike and the school board can implement a contract without the unions approval. Florida unions are not preventing any raise in Florida. The state has attacked a straw man here. 
    • As a general rule, I am not a big supporter of unions in the public sector in particular.  They certainly had a place in the private sector during the industrialization of our nation, but today not so much.  I have no first-hand experience with unions representing our local law enforcement or firefighters but my interaction with the teachers union over several years in that profession is the basis of my opinion.  
  • Popular Contributors