My Most Offensive Post

DarterBlue2

I don't normally do this, and if Josh decides to remove it I totally understand. But I have to make it. So, tonight I went to what I thought was a Jamboree among Jones, Oak Ridge and Gainesville. The primary reason for going was to assess Jones as they are Apopka's first opponent in the regular season and they came within a whisker of beating last year's eventual 5A state champions on their field in the playoffs. Well, Gainesville did not make the trip so it was converted to a Jones/Oak Ridge game. What I saw was the worst performance I have ever seen in any high school game. Now I realize it was a spring game. I also realize Oak Ridge is young with mostly rising sophomores on the field. But the lack of preparation by the coaching staff blew me away. Yes, I know it's a lowly compensated, largely thankless job unless you are a perennial playoff team. But given they had several weeks to prepare for this game the performance was not excusable. The O Line did not understand the fundamentals of blocking, the defense could not tackle, there were no adjustments even though Jones's offense ran two basic plays, the punters looked like they had never kicked a ball before, I could go on and on ... At the end of the first half, it was Jones 69 Oak Ridge 0. It could actually have been worse as Jones was first and goal with 40+ seconds remaining in the half but chose to take a delay of game penalty and take their time running one play before the clock expired. 

I personally feel that this coaching staff did a huge injustice to the Oak Ridge kids and I would not be surprised if a number of them quit the game or transfer. My take is, that if you are not going to make an effort, don't accept the responsibility. The kids deserve better than that ...

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I don't normally do this, and if Josh decides to remove it I totally understand. But I have to make it. So, tonight I went to what I thought was a Jamboree among Jones, Oak Ridge and Gainesville. The primary reason for going was to assess Jones as they are Apopka's first opponent in the regular season and they came within a whisker of beating last year's eventual 5A state champions on their field in the playoffs. Well, Gainesville did not make the trip so it was converted to a Jones/Oak Ridge game. What I saw was the worst performance I have ever seen in any high school game. Now I realize it was a spring game. I also realize Oak Ridge is young with mostly rising sophomores on the field. But the lack of preparation by the coaching staff blew me away. Yes, I know it's a lowly compensated, largely thankless job unless you are a perennial playoff team. But given they had several weeks to prepare for this game the performance was not excusable. The O Line did not understand the fundamentals of blocking, the defense could not tackle, there were no adjustments even though Jones's offense ran two basic plays, the punters looked like they had never kicked a ball before, I could go on and on ... At the end of the first half, it was Jones 69 Oak Ridge 0. It could actually have been worse as Jones was fist and goal with 40+ seconds remaining in the half but chose to take a delay of game penalty and take their time running one play before the clock expired. 

I personally feel that this coaching staff did a huge injustice to the Oak Ridge kids and I would not be surprised if a number of them quit the game or transfer. My take is, that if you are not going to make an effort, don't accept the responsibility. The kids deserve better than that ...

Gainesville ended up going to play TCA over in Jacksonville

1 hour ago, FL_HS_football said:

A team with over-whelming talent can make an even average team in a spring football type game look embarrassingly bad, not saying that was the case in this instance......just trying to give some perspective.

That is true. But I have watched Orlando area football for 21 seasons now. Believe me, this was bad ... very bad ... just saying