Is Chaminade the toughest team on paper that Vero will be facing???

Floridatech

First it was Oscar Smith, could Vero beat a team like that on the road...... Yes, and they coulda put the clock on em if they didn't step off the gas.....

Then it was Venice, can Vero beat a very good team from that side of the state on the road......answer is yes and they ain't even give Vero the toughest game of the season it ended up being a 1a Pahokee team that couldn't put it together and local district rivals that ended being good at the same time.......

But on paper it seems Chaminade is the deepest team Vero has played in years since Pahokee during their reign.....

I still got Vero beating Chaminade tho but it's an interesting game I really wanna see how they deal with that speed late in the season, it'll tell us how Vero will stack up against Deerfield

1 hour ago, Floridatech said:

First it was Oscar Smith, could Vero beat a team like that on the road...... Yes, and they coulda put the clock on em if they didn't step off the gas.....

Then it was Venice, can Vero beat a very good team from that side of the state on the road......answer is yes and they ain't even give Vero the toughest game of the season it ended up being a 1a Pahokee team that couldn't put it together and local district rivals that ended being good at the same time.......

But on paper it seems Chaminade is the deepest team Vero has played in years since Pahokee during their reign.....

I still got Vero beating Chaminade tho but it's an interesting game I really wanna see how they deal with that speed late in the season, it'll tell us how Vero will stack up against Deerfield

Who does Vero have on defense that is going to be able to stop Chaminade?  The teams that have beaten CM in the past had very physical, nasty defenses.  For example, 6'2" 300-pound DT Nesta Silvera at Amer. Heritage Plantation was a game-changer.  If Vero does not have a defensive player(s) who can take over a game, I don't see Vero winning this one.  The Vero defenses I have seen over the past couple of seasons do not fall into the "nasty" category.  What will be different this year?  ...specifics please   

52 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Who does Vero have on defense that is going to be able to stop Chaminade?  The teams that have beaten CM in the past had very physical, nasty defenses.  For example, 6'2" 300-pound DT Nesta Silvera at Amer. Heritage Plantation was a game-changer.  If Vero does not have a defensive player(s) who can take over a game, I don't see Vero winning this one.  The Vero defenses I have seen over the past couple of seasons do not fall into the "nasty" category.  What will be different this year?  ...specifics please   

All this is irrelevant Vero don't need name brand players on the field to beat a team like Chaminade go back and look at the rosters when they beat Viera Oscar Smith 2xPahokee and Venice, Vero runs a 3-4 defense and the linebacker core is solid this year

See 2012 and 2015 and if that's so why is the playoff teams we lose to are the highest scorers on our defense

57 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.tcpalm.com/amp/1354473001&ved=2ahUKEwj3xObZh9biAhUOnawKHabECx0QyM8BMAV6BAgGEAQ&usg=AOvVaw03QN_5N14qgfQStpB9xYQc&ampcf=1&cshid=1559865590690

34 minutes ago, Floridatech said:

All this is irrelevant Vero don't need name brand players on the field to beat a team like Chaminade go back and look at the rosters when they beat Viera Oscar Smith 2xPahokee and Venice, Vero runs a 3-4 defense and the linebacker core is solid this year

See 2012 and 2015 and if that's so why is the playoff teams we lose to are the highest scorers on our defense

The more individual talent a team has, the more important individual matchups can become in a game.  Those teams you mention above, ie Oscar Smith, Venice...I do not believe they had the same level of individual talent that this Chaminade team will have.  I think Jessica would echo me.  

Don't get me wrong, I think CM is very beatable.  But the teams that have beaten CM over the past couple of years, ie AHP, Central, are light years ahead of the Vero teams I have watched of late.

I cannot get that Riverview playoff game out of my head.  Vero absolutely folded when they got punched in the mouth.  Nasty teams do not do that.  And that is the nastiness I am saying will be needed to beat this Chaminade team.   

19 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

The more individual talent a team has, the more important individual matchups can become in a game.  Those teams you mention above, ie Oscar Smith, Venice...I do not believe they had the same level of individual talent that this Chaminade team will have.  I think Jessica would echo me.  

Don't get me wrong, I think CM is very beatable.  But the teams that have beaten CM over the past couple of years, ie AHP, Central, are light years ahead of the Vero teams I have watched of late.

I cannot get that Riverview playoff game out of my head.  Vero absolutely folded when they got punched in the mouth.  Nasty teams do not do that.  And that is the nastiness I am saying will be needed to beat this Chaminade team.   

Just asking but want Oscar smith down that year I don’t think OS have been good for some time. Granted tho that was a quality road win tho no doubt.

21 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Ok ok still a solid win on the road but I knew they still wasn’t nationally ranked.

No doubt Vero is a solid program.  Always has been...for years and years.  But bottom line, Vero has not proven it can beat one of the Dade/Broward powers in the modern era.  Comparing a team from Virginia (even one of that state's best) to Dade/Broward powers...not even close.  Would say the same of the Pahokee teams of late.  

I sat in the stands when Chaminade came to Vero back in the early 00's and sat amongst the Vero fans, listening to them talk about how they were going to beat this "little school" from south FL.  And they got absolutely smoked(the Maxpreps score shows Vero having won, which is incorrect-I think Chaminade won by something like 35-0).  That was one of Mark Guandolo's teams.  His teams won because of great coaching.  They did not have anywhere near the level of individual talent the Chaminade teams of today have.  I believe the 2017 state champion Chaminade team likely would have pulverized Oscar Smith, especially later in the season.  

Chaminade and the Dade/Broward powerhouses, in one of their "on" years, cannot be compared to anyone out there except some of the national powerhouses.  The speed and athleticism of those teams is simply on another plane.  Can they be beat?  Absolutely!  But don't count on it, especially by a team that is overconfident.

28 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

No doubt Vero is a solid program.  Always has been...for years and years.  But bottom line, Vero has not proven it can beat one of the Dade/Broward powers in the modern era.  Comparing a team from Virginia (even one of that state's best) to Dade/Broward powers...not even close.  Would say the same of the Pahokee teams of late.  

I sat in the stands when Chaminade came to Vero back in the early 00's and sat amongst the Vero fans, listening to them talk about how they were going to beat this "little school" from south FL.  And they got absolutely smoked(the Maxpreps score shows Vero having won, which is incorrect-I think Chaminade won by something like 35-0).  That was one of Mark Guandolo's teams.  His teams won because of great coaching.  They did not have anywhere near the level of individual talent the Chaminade teams of today have.  I believe the 2017 state champion Chaminade team likely would have pulverized Oscar Smith, especially later in the season.  

Chaminade and the Dade/Broward powerhouses, in one of their "on" years, cannot be compared to anyone out there except some of the national powerhouses.  The speed and athleticism of those teams is simply on another plane.  Can they be beat?  Absolutely!  But don't count on it, especially by a team that is overconfident.

I agree. I remember when we first went to play img in what 2014-2015 we were one of the first schools in Florida to play img and when we got there I remember not hearing to much about them prior but that year they were relatively small (img) all I remember is hearing look at those small white boys dillard shouldn’t have no problem. Maaaaaannnnnn it was like 50-0 halftime for img granted some questionable calls were taking place but 50-0 at halftime is 50-0 lol. 

Vero Beach is a town, not a city like Miami, Orlando, Tampa or Jacksonville, which have  large pools of talent to work with.  We are a public school , not a prep school that has all kinds of recruiting programs. Our football program is strong because all the people in Vero support the football team, and Friday is their big night out. On top of that we now have one of the best football coach's in the state. Vero is located in Indian River County, which is basically a citrus farming county, so there's not a large talent pool to draw from. So everybody's got to stop comparing us to these top schools. 

18 minutes ago, roygod said:

Vero Beach is a town, not a city like Miami, Orlando, Tampa or Jacksonville, which have  large pools of talent to work with.  We are a public school , not a prep school that has all kinds of recruiting programs. Our football program is strong because all the people in Vero support the football team, and Friday is their big night out. On top of that we now have one of the best football coach's in the state. Vero is located in Indian River County, which is basically a citrus farming county, so there's not a large talent pool to draw from. So everybody's got to stop comparing us to these top schools. 

When someone claims Chaminade can't beat Vero because they struggle with large schools and yet the only large schools that Chaminade has struggled with lately have been Miami Central and AHP than that is a fair comparison

Miramar ain't much different in size from Vero but Chaminade beat them

If Vero beats Chaminade it won't have a thing to do with number enrolled in Vero Beach, it will be Vero having the athletes to match them which remains to be seen

30 minutes ago, roygod said:

I do appreciate where are you are coming from.  One could argue that Vero also has some distinct advantages, though.  They have had a strong program in place for years and more football tradition than the vast majority of schools out there.  Vero sold season tickets when that sort of thing was almost unheard of in Florida.  Although they may not have as big a pool to pull from, they also don't have anywhere near the level of competition for talent as some of the Broward/Dade schools.  ...case in point, most Broward public schools have struggled mightily over the years. 

For as long as I can remember, the pollsters have hyped Vero in the polls, and along with that comes high expectations, regardless of circumstances, ie Vero being a "town."  Same can be said for Columbia High.  My issue is when folks cite victories over teams like Oscar Smith and Venice and try to translate that into predictions of victories over a team like Chaminade.  

Based on what you say, Vero should be the underdog in such a game, but some folks don't see it that way.  I'm a believer in being humble and over-delivering.  Know your opponent...Chaminade is not a world beater, but Oscar Smith and Pahokee they are not, at least not the recent versions of these teams.   I got the impression that when Vero invited Chaminade all those years ago, they had no clue what they were biting off.  I listened to the radio announcers before and after that game, and those fellows were clueless about how good Chaminade was.  Hopefully this time around they will know they are facing a very dangerous team, and prepare accordingly.   

13 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I do appreciate where are you are coming from.  One could argue that Vero also has some distinct advantages, though.  They have had a strong program in place for years and more football tradition than the vast majority of schools out there.  Vero sold season tickets when that sort of thing was almost unheard of in Florida.  Although they may not have as big a pool to pull from, they also don't have anywhere near the level of competition for talent as some of the Broward/Dade schools.  ...case in point, most Broward public schools have struggled mightily over the years. 

For as long as I can remember, the pollsters have hyped Vero in the polls, and along with that comes high expectations, regardless of circumstances, ie Vero being a "town."  Same can be said for Columbia High.  My issue is when folks cite victories over teams like Oscar Smith and Venice and try to translate that into predictions of victories over a team like Chaminade.  

Based on what you say, Vero should be the underdog in such a game, but some folks don't see it that way.  I'm a believer in being humble and over-delivering.  Know your opponent...Chaminade is not a world beater, but Oscar Smith and Pahokee they are not, at least not the recent versions of these teams.   I got the impression that when Vero invited Chaminade all those years ago, they had no clue what they were biting off.  I listened to the radio announcers before and after that game, and those fellows were clueless about how good Chaminade was.  Hopefully this time around they will know they are facing a very dangerous team, and prepare accordingly.   

I think most true Vero football fans know they will be huge underdogs in the Chaminade game, I would venture they should be underdogs in the Venice and possibly Viera also. With that being said, a great majority of people at the Vero games are there for a night out and have no idea who Vero is playing, they just want to see Vero win and watch the band play.

I think some of the Vero “fans” on here are new to the area (at least in the last 10 years,) as this area is filling with new transplants escaping Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. 

The radio crew that Vero has now is much more informed than the crew they previously had as far as where Vero falls in the state pecking order (Gary Parris also does the UCF games,) so in my opinion, they will approach this and other games with a stroke of humility and hopefully optimism I would think. 

• 4 months later...
On 6/6/2019 at 9:35 PM, SPCjessica2004 said:

Chaminade-Madonna will win this game. The only individuals who don't know that Vero is the underdog here is Vero. It'll be good, but Chaminade-Madonna isn't Viera. Coach Jones, Coach Tate and staff will have the Lions ready for this one.

I know I doubted Vero as much as everyone else, but it appears the staff and players didn’t get the memo they were supposed to lay down in this game. 

Chaminade’s players antics before the game (and subsequent lack of control by said coaching staff) only heightened Vero’s drive to win this game. Excellent performance by Vero’s defense again tonight silencing many who doubted this program, myself included. 

We admit when we are wrong! Congratulations to Vero Beach High School and their fans on one of the more impressive wins we've seen recently. It's one thing to win, but to hold Chaminade to 0 points, we would vote in favorite of giving you a 61st consecutive victory if that were possible!

We felt confident that the staff at Chaminade would have their team more prepared than this, but it's back to the drawing board for the Lions. We still like Chaminade, but that's a tale for another message board topic. For now, the focus should be on Vero winning.

21 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

We admit when we are wrong! Congratulations to Vero Beach High School and their fans on one of the more impressive wins we've seen recently. It's one thing to win, but to hold Chaminade to 0 points, we would vote in favorite of giving you a 61st consecutive victory if that were possible!

We felt confident that the staff at Chaminade would have their team more prepared than this, but it's back to the drawing board for the Lions. We still like Chaminade, but that's a tale for another message board topic. For now, the focus should be on Vero winning.

Jess are u gonna do another write up on 3a this year????? Do u STILL think we will see chaminade vS JAX TCA