Lakeland appears fully reloaded for 2019

skyway

It appears Lakeland will be receiving several big-name transfers and several more very good HS players. If it remains this way (it isn't unheard of for kids to transfer and then head back to where they came from like Cleveland Reed a few years ago), they will be back to face STA again barring significant injuries. Lake Wales QB Chayil Garnett, 3* Auburn commit; WR Arian Smith, 4* WR and arguably the fastest player in the state; 4* CB Kendall Dennis and a few more starters from elsewhere including a couple of big lineman. This has been posted on multiple social media outlets where the players themselves are tagged, as well as on 247sports' player database. There is a Twitter post on an anonymous account mentioning other big names, but a couple of those players replied that they were not transferring.

Say what you will about this-I'm not a fan- but, this super team stuff is now the trend all over the place. It happens every year in Dade county public schools, not to mention the privates. I think the only real answer is to try to shift the collective perception away from favoring building the super-team approach and towards the "make-it-where-you're-from" approach.

Anyway, who does everyone like in Lakeland-STA Part IX?

12 minutes ago, skyway said:

It appears Lakeland will be receiving several big-name transfers and several more very good HS players. If it remains this way (it isn't unheard of for kids to transfer and then head back to where they came from like Cleveland Reed a few years ago), they will be back in Orlando to face STA again barring significant injuries. Lake Wales QB Chayil Garnett, 3* Auburn commit; WR Arian Smith, 4* WR and arguably the fastest player in the state; 4* CB Kendall Dennis and a few more starters from elsewhere including a couple of big lineman. This has been posted on multiple social media outlets where the players themselves are tagged, as well as on 247sports' player database. There is a Twitter post on an anonymous account mentioning other big names, but a couple of those players replied that they were not transferring.

Say what you will about this-I'm not a fan- but, this super team stuff is now the trend all over the place. It happens every year in Dade county public schools, not to mention the privates. I think the only real answer is to try to shift the collective perception away from the super-team approach and towards the "make-it-where-you're-from" approach.

If STA makes it back to Daytona, have a hunch they won't

Btw state in Daytona not Orlando now

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

If STA makes it back to Daytona, have a hunch they won't

Btw state in Daytona not Orlando now

Ah dang thanks for the correction! 

I have no confidence whatsover in the teams in 7A south to knock off STA. Maybe I'll be wrong this year...

2 minutes ago, skyway said:

Ah dang thanks for the correction! 

I have no confidence whatsover in the teams in 7A south to knock off STA. Maybe I'll be wrong this year...

One

7a South in both regions have more depth than last year

Two

I'm not sold on any the QBs at STA and I expect that to be their downfall in the end, nobody winning a class as good as 7a as a one dimensional team, no matter how many big names or how good a reputation they have

3 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

One

7a South in both regions have more depth than last year

Two

I'm not sold on any the QBs at STA and I expect that to be their downfall in the end, nobody winning a class as good as 7a as a one dimensional team, no matter how many big names or how good a reputation they have

Yes, we will have to see how good Dean or whoever the QB is ends up being. The lack of a stud QB has been key in them losing most of the games they've lost. The kid last year was decent, but not a gunslinger that scared you with the deep ball.

I proudly called this years ago on the national board that once the new rule is implemented basically letting public schools play by the rules as the privates Lakeland will be back to beating STAs ass. 

You cant call yourself a true competitive organization and have teams not playing by the same rules. When STA would have double digit transfers from Miami to West Palm no one batted an eye. But when some local Polk County stud wanted to play for the best coach in state history everyone got up in arms. 

Now every team can acquire talent how they see fit, and everyone can play under the same rules. 

It is getting insane though. The Mulberry kid isn't a huge deal as that's a small country school that is probably about equidistant from my house growing up as Lakeland HS was. But, Lake Wales is East Polk, a different place than Lakeland really. And Kendall Dennis (and at least one other starter) is from the arch rival Kathleen. It's the "in" thing to do now. But, I'm not a fan. Though I will enjoy another Lakeland-STA title game lol

6 hours ago, skyway said:

It appears Lakeland will be receiving several big-name transfers and several more very good HS players. If it remains this way (it isn't unheard of for kids to transfer and then head back to where they came from like Cleveland Reed a few years ago), they will be back to face STA again barring significant injuries. Lake Wales QB Chayil Garnett, 3* Auburn commit; WR Arian Smith, 4* WR and arguably the fastest player in the state; 4* CB Kendall Dennis and a few more starters from elsewhere including a couple of big lineman. This has been posted on multiple social media outlets where the players themselves are tagged, as well as on 247sports' player database. There is a Twitter post on an anonymous account mentioning other big names, but a couple of those players replied that they were not transferring.

Say what you will about this-I'm not a fan- but, this super team stuff is now the trend all over the place. It happens every year in Dade county public schools, not to mention the privates. I think the only real answer is to try to shift the collective perception away from favoring building the super-team approach and towards the "make-it-where-you're-from" approach.

I was very impressed with his HUDL video.   

http://www.hudl.com/v/2AXBaW

14 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

I proudly called this years ago on the national board that once the new rule is implemented basically letting public schools play by the rules as the privates Lakeland will be back to beating STAs ass. 

You cant call yourself a true competitive organization and have teams not playing by the same rules. When STA would have double digit transfers from Miami to West Palm no one batted an eye. But when some local Polk County stud wanted to play for the best coach in state history everyone got up in arms. 

Now every team can acquire talent how they see fit, and everyone can play under the same rules. 

By everyone you mean a insecure fanboy like Los right?

25 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Lol why is it always against STA?   Don't hear people complaining about Deerfield Beach, or Chaminade or AHP or MC or MNW.    

I actually wanted to see Lakeland back on the map.   Got no problem with kids wanting to go there.   I dig the old Uni's though.   Not into the Camo.  

11 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Pretty sure Los was all about players deciding where they wanted to play.   

Only if it benefits STA

If he wasn't obsessed with STA staying on top he wouldn't make a new account on the national board anytime anyone says they aren't the greatest program to ever exist 

15 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Lol why is it always against STA?   Don't hear people complaining about Deerfield Beach, or Chaminade or AHP or MC or MNW.    

I actually wanted to see Lakeland back on the map.   Got no problem with kids wanting to go there.   I dig the old Uni's though.   Not into the Camo.  

Maybe because it was STA who snitched on Lakeland because they were never good enough to beat them at full strength which is what happened in 04,05, and 06

16 minutes ago, 954gator said:

When Lakeland get camo?

8 minutes ago, skyway said:

I'm not really a fan of the newish uniforms. I liked the old ones with "Lakeland" in bigger font across the front. Though I don't usually like any of these alternate unis designed by people with no appreciation for tradition.

I have no problem with alternates

As long as they aren't overused

I’ve said it for years.

If a kid and his parents decide to move to another school zone, or to enroll in a school in search of better coaching (and college football opportunities), then they have every right to do so.

The free market approach makes certain school zones more desirable depending on what a family is looking for (school grade, athletic program, etc). 

If you build it they will come.

19 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

The problem is that not every school plays by the same rules, at least not in Hillsborough County.   In theory, any family can move into a particular school's district and then be able to attend that school.  Also, that same family can stay right where they are and their kid still has the right/ability to attend any other school in the district/county, with one major caveat:  the school cannot be at or above capacity.  So, a school in a less densely populated part of the County with a mediocre academic reputation/ranking, that is not at capacity, can accommodate an unlimited number of transferring students.  Whereas a school in a more populated area with a strong academic reputation/ranking, that has been over capacity for years, can only accommodate a transfer if that kid's family moves into the district.  And, of course, private schools can do whatever the heck they want to and, thus, can accommodate any kid they want to whenever they want to regardless of where the family lives. 

Free agency doesn't work unless all schools are playing on the same, level playing field and that simply isn't the case.  My guess is that Lakeland, for example, would see far fewer transfers if kids who want to transfer into Lakeland actually had to move into the Lakeland district.   That's not a knock on Lakeland; it's just a reminder that not all public schools are in the same 'boat.'  That assumption is based on some quick research that indicates that Lakeland's student population is well below capacity.   If I'm wrong on that, please correct me with the right info. 

On 6/8/2019 at 11:52 AM, skyway said:

OK, I give up.  I was trying to post a screenshot I took last night of a Twitter post from on the Tampa Bay Times sports reporters and I just can't seem to figure out how to do it (file size always too big).  In any event, the original tweet came from a 10K.sam and it reads:  "Dear Lakeland high school can y'all stop calling my people I am not going to Lakeland i am loyal to my school lake Gibson @LHSDreadnaughts"

Interesting. 

4 hours ago, Perspective said:

OK, I give up.  I was trying to post a screenshot I took last night of a Twitter post from on the Tampa Bay Times sports reporters and I just can't seem to figure out how to do it (file size always too big).  In any event, the original tweet came from a 10K.sam and it reads:  "Dear Lakeland high school can y'all stop calling my people I am not going to Lakeland i am loyal to my school lake Gibson @LHSDreadnaughts"

Interesting. 

https://twitter.com/alabama313/status/1137797551527288832

image.png.e2225ce1d80bf9952d3161d8058155e1.png

https://247sports.com/Player/Sam-McCall-46080648/

image.png.92332d9f1ca34829164f20cae5aa4cbf.png