Schedules

LAZ

Just curious. 

Can someone explain why we have not seen 2019 schedules? Max Preps is no help because what they have is either incomplete, constantly changing, showing duplications or reflecting incorrect opponents. It just seems that we should have these schedules available for public viewing. All schools were supposed to submit their schedules by June 3rd. As usual we have to wait and wait. Also, if you notice, the majority of missing schedules are out of South Florida. This is an annual occurrence usually blamed on the lack of football fields. Apparently their scheduling skills are on par with their voting prowess. 

Here's a tip: Start earlier.  

Dade always blames the lack of fields as the cause for their lateness. I think it's just because they wait until spring sports are done to start working on the master. 

Broward is usually pretty on top of things, perhaps a change or two here and there occurs for whatever reason. 

Not sure how Palm Beach has been historically though I did hear they fell behind a little bit and was rushing last minute to put some things together on the master. 

As for MP -- don't get Nole and I started on them. 

This falls on the FHSAA. They punted the responsibility to a second rate website that is famous for errors and inaccuracies. The FHSAA should be held liable. They literally make every move that is not in the best interest of the coaches, players and fans of the sports played in the state. It’s embarrassing. I posted this link in another thread. Can someone tell me why this can’t be the minimum mandatory? 

https://www.ghsa.net/2019-2020-ghsa-football-schedule

4 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

This falls on the FHSAA. They punted the responsibility to a second rate website that is famous for errors and inaccuracies. The FHSAA should be held liable. They literally make every move that is not in the best interest of the coaches, players and fans of the sports played in the state. It’s embarrassing. I posted this link in another thread. Can someone tell me why this can’t be the minimum mandatory? 

Teams are still looking for games 

Last thing we need is some deadline that causes teams to be forced to go into season without a full schedule

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Teams are still looking for games 

Last thing we need is some deadline that causes teams to be forced to go into season without a full schedule

Deadlines are definitely needed. You can't go into July and even early August not knowing what's going on. It also helps fans get an idea how to plan for time off from work, etc. if there's an OOS game involved. 

2 hours ago, badbird said:

Deadlines are needed.  You can schedule a game after the deadline.  It just won't count towards the playoff rankings

That would be a terrible idea

Did you forget what state you live in badbird? This is the state where games get dropped for weather more than flys get smashed with a flyswatter 

If anything the new rule in place removing that was a great idea

Not to mention many teams have trouble filling their schedule when local teams are scared to play you

2 hours ago, MC Rockets said:

Deadlines are definitely needed. You can't go into July and even early August not knowing what's going on. It also helps fans get an idea how to plan for time off from work, etc. if there's an OOS game involved. 

In a perfect world all schedules would be done in May but when you call team after team and it's all NO as a answer what are you supposed to do???

Sometimes I wish Columbia was located in SFL since SFL teams aren't lacking their balls and will play, unlike a lot of these north FL teams who will talk big game but moment you call them they got no interest :ph34r:

Just look at how few Jacksonville teams TCA is playing, TCA reached out to everyone with a phone line in Jacksonville and the 3 they got (Raines, Ribault, Lee) were only ones who were not scared to play them

30 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

That would be a terrible idea

Did you forget what state you live in badbird? This is the state where games get dropped for weather more than flys get smashed with a flyswatter 

If anything the new rule in place removing that was a great idea

Not to mention many teams have trouble filling their schedule when local teams are scared to play you

I thought games had to be made up. 

The rule was in place to keep teams from picking up a game week 11 to try and make the playoffs.  So that rule was dropped?  You can pick up games whenever?

2 minutes ago, badbird said:

The rule was in place to keep teams from picking up a game week 11 to try and make the playoffs.  So that rule was dropped?  You can pick up games whenever?

The new rule is that you can pick games up for the season if you have the week open heading into year or if you have to find a new opponent if weather causes a game to not be able to be completed

At least that's what I was told when I asked around about it, I looked for the writeup on fhsaa site with the rule changes this off-season but could never find it and see the specific wording

8 minutes ago, badbird said:

I might ask Joshua later and see if I can get some clarification on that rule so I understand it correctly

20 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Just look at how few Jacksonville teams TCA is playing, TCA reached out to everyone with a phone line in Jacksonville and the 3 they got (Raines, Ribault, Lee) were only ones who were not scared to play them

The following are games played by Trinity Christian against Duval County teams over the past 10 years that were not in their district. Most of the time, Trinity Christian hasn't been playing those games. And I understand why large schools in big metro areas don't want to play Trinity, they can play other public schools, keep the money internal to the system. Losing encourages players to job ship to Trinity.

2009: 1 team (Episcopal)
2010: 1 team (Episcopal)
2011: 2 teams (University Christian and RIbault)
2012: 3 teams (Sandalwood, University Christian, Ribault)
2013: 1 team (University Christian)
2014: 1 team (University Christian)
2015: 2 teams (Ribault, University Christian)
2016: 1 team (University Christian)
2017: 1 team (Ribault)
2018: 1 team (Ribault)
------------------

As for Columbia's struggles in scheduling... They are a big fish in a really small pond, literally. Beyond the 2 Gainesville schools, what school is even 75% of the size of Columbia?

Columbia 1960

Suwannee is 1197
Baker County 1378
Santa Fe 1095
Fort White 595
Gainesville 1886
Buchholz 2292

after that you are either in Ocala, Jacksonville, or Tallahassee, all of which could basically stay in their home counties or immediate neighboring counties to find competition. I am not surprised Columbia is having a hard time finding opponents, smaller district, more emphasis on every game counting means don't want to schedule an automatic "L".

Remember, one of the arguments that you make for this scheduling over the simpler just district games counts is that every game counts now. As a result teams don't want to schedule a 80% likely loss no matter the high strength of schedule. I don't blame coaches and ADs for that. I also think coaches and ADs are worried about the bottom line, traveling to Lake City is far, even for close teams. While Lake City travels well, is it more cost effective to play a school in county?

1 hour ago, gatorman-uf said:

The following are games played by Trinity Christian against Duval County teams over the past 10 years that were not in their district. Most of the time, Trinity Christian hasn't been playing those games. And I understand why large schools in big metro areas don't want to play Trinity, they can play other public schools, keep the money internal to the system. Losing encourages players to job ship to Trinity.

2009: 1 team (Episcopal)
2010: 1 team (Episcopal)
2011: 2 teams (University Christian and RIbault)
2012: 3 teams (Sandalwood, University Christian, Ribault)
2013: 1 team (University Christian)
2014: 1 team (University Christian)
2015: 2 teams (Ribault, University Christian)
2016: 1 team (University Christian)
2017: 1 team (Ribault)
2018: 1 team (Ribault)
------------------

As for Columbia's struggles in scheduling... They are a big fish in a really small pond, literally. Beyond the 2 Gainesville schools, what school is even 75% of the size of Columbia?

Columbia 1960

Suwannee is 1197
Baker County 1378
Santa Fe 1095
Fort White 595
Gainesville 1886
Buchholz 2292

after that you are either in Ocala, Jacksonville, or Tallahassee, all of which could basically stay in their home counties or immediate neighboring counties to find competition. I am not surprised Columbia is having a hard time finding opponents, smaller district, more emphasis on every game counting means don't want to schedule an automatic "L".

Remember, one of the arguments that you make for this scheduling over the simpler just district games counts is that every game counts now. As a result teams don't want to schedule a 80% likely loss no matter the high strength of schedule. I don't blame coaches and ADs for that. I also think coaches and ADs are worried about the bottom line, traveling to Lake City is far, even for close teams. While Lake City travels well, is it more cost effective to play a school in county?

I understand that but that's why I'm saying I'm against there being a deadline for schedules 

We can't control that so many teams have no interest in playing us (even though many players on those teams will always talk crap on social media about being better than us and us being garbage yet are not gonna put money where their mouth is)

We are gonna need every second possible to find games 

I think long term this is going to force us to have to travel to Central or South FL or even OOS in the future to get games scheduled since many in North Florida will not want to play them (in other words we will have to follow the blueprint of TCA schedule to find games which I'm personally fine with as it will get us a lot of respect for playing those kind of games)

I guess the same could be said locally for Lake City middle who since merging Richardson and LCMS has not been welcomed in their previous conference (even though both schools were in the conference when they were 2 separate schools) and have to now play South GA schools to get some games as they playing lowndes middle and Valdosta middle this fall

I get what you saying @gatorman-uf but I just wish some schools in North Florida had the same attitude that those Broward and Dade schools had of taking on any challenge and not worrying about wins or losses in the process because any game against top level competition will build toughness and gain respect 

13 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

As much crap we give Ga. posters, the GHSA is always on point. The FHSAA knows what they need to do, but the problem with doing the right thing is it makes too much sense. 

24 minutes ago, MC Rockets said:

As much crap we give Ga. posters, the GHSA is always on point. The FHSAA knows what they need to do, but the problem with doing the right thing is it makes too much sense. 

Is that why 2 years ago they had no backup plan for a unexpected need to change the venue at the state finals?

9 hours ago, MC Rockets said:

That has nothing to do with the topic.

It shows that the GHSAA is just as capable of crapping the bed and that grass isn't always greener somewhere else

Fhsaa has their share of issues but at least in my memory they haven't had to scramble to find a new state title site because they had no plan in place 

2 years ago the softball state championship took a huge storm for almost a week and they managed to still make it through a 20+ game event without too much trouble 

The fhsaa has done their share of good, I certainly wouldn't want us copying GA as me personally don't view their leadership as any form of a upgrade

But I guess we may not agree on that 

14 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Is that why 2 years ago they had no backup plan for a unexpected need to change the venue at the state finals?

Apples and Oranges... 
State Championships and weather that affect the whole state, specifically snow in a southern state, is not the same as making a deadline for schedules. Additionally, you are dealing with a stadium that has numerous uses than just a high school football state championship. Meanwhile, softball state championships, nobody else is using those fields.

9 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Apples and Oranges... 
State Championships and weather that affect the whole state, specifically snow in a southern state, is not the same as making a deadline for schedules. Additionally, you are dealing with a stadium that has numerous uses than just a high school football state championship. Meanwhile, softball state championships, nobody else is using those fields.

Yes but you mean to tell me these organizations don't usually have a cotendency plan in place if shit hits the fan?

It only makes logical sense to have a backup plan in place in case something goes wrong so the GHSAA deserves blame for not being prepared in their case

You obviously have never lived in a place that has snow. You also have never lived in a place that if gets snow that it is ill-prepared to handle it. Should there be a back-up, sure. The games were moved back to the home sites of schools instead of the Dome in Atlanta, sounds like a back-up plan to me. The problem was how late they waited to cancel, not that the games were never played or did not have another location.

See picture to understand, everybody from Atlanta's fears of snow.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-snow-storm-atlanta-super-bowl-20190128-story.html

18 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

You obviously have never lived in a place that has snow. You also have never lived in a place that if gets snow that it is ill-prepared to handle it. Should there be a back-up, sure. The games were moved back to the home sites of schools instead of the Dome in Atlanta, sounds like a back-up plan to me. The problem was how late they waited to cancel, not that the games were never played or did not have another location.

See picture to understand, everybody from Atlanta's fears of snow.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-snow-storm-atlanta-super-bowl-20190128-story.html

Wow with how bad traffic is on Atlanta in perfect weather I'm not surprised that snow causes issues but looking at that it must not be common Enough they would be used to it

And no I've lived in Lake City all my life so of course I've never had to manage a snow issue since this area never gets it

On 6/16/2019 at 8:36 AM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Fhsaa has their share of issues but at least in my memory they haven't had to scramble to find a new state title site because they had no plan in place 

Is this statement only referring to football state championship location?