• Announcements

• Joshua Wilson

Rules of the Forums   09/02/2017

Please be sure to read the rules of the forums. This is only to help all of us have a good time and we want to keep this board as fun as possible. 
    • SportsNut25

Talking Other Sports   11/08/2017

For those interested in talking about other sports, you can talk about them here. 
joeycash2004

Duval County New Football New Kickoff Times @6pm

Should just move the games to 11 AM-5 PM on Saturdays instead, most parents won't have to take off work, police force can work multiple games.  
It is not like Duval County (outside of Raines and maybe Lee) has great attendance anyway. 
Still a shame that outside forces cause this much pain on students, parents. 

1 hour ago, gatorman-uf said:

Should just move the games to 11 AM-5 PM on Saturdays instead, most parents won't have to take off work, police force can work multiple games.  
It is not like Duval County (outside of Raines and maybe Lee) has great attendance anyway. 
Still a shame that outside forces cause this much pain on students, parents. 

And ironically it was those 2 schools that most likely caused this change to happen in the first place 

2 hours ago, joeycash2004 said:

I am assuming this was for me. Little League and High Schools don't use the same fields to my knowledge and if they do, sounds fine to me. How much overlap is there between a high school fan and a little league fan/parent. How many police are necessary at little league/rec ball games?

As for colleges coming to games, I think most coaches are coming so that players see them not so that they see players. Most coaches are doing their scouting through video. And several Miami teams play their games on Saturday due to field sharing. 

Again, I see understand why later on a Friday is better for fan attendance/parents, but I would be willing to bet that 11 am on a Saturday would get more parents than Friday at 6 pm. I would also state that you would get more high school students/average fans for a Friday than a Saturday due to tradition. 

Its not going to be that big a deal.  I coached in Chicago where we started playing games at 12noon on Thursdays thru 8pm on Saturdays.  We went to 6pm games in Palm Beach.  The biggest issue was it being hotter.  The crowd sizes were smaller, but eventually filled in.  

1 hour ago, gatorman-uf said:

I am assuming this was for me. Little League and High Schools don't use the same fields to my knowledge and if they do, sounds fine to me. How much overlap is there between a high school fan and a little league fan/parent. How many police are necessary at little league/rec ball games?

As for colleges coming to games, I think most coaches are coming so that players see them not so that they see players. Most coaches are doing their scouting through video. And several Miami teams play their games on Saturday due to field sharing. 

Again, I see understand why later on a Friday is better for fan attendance/parents, but I would be willing to bet that 11 am on a Saturday would get more parents than Friday at 6 pm. I would also state that you would get more high school students/average fans for a Friday than a Saturday due to tradition. 

Agreed except for mor students. Jacksonville is a college football city..so lots of people are tuned into college football

As a married father to a couple of little ones, getting to HS games has been hard enough. This might be easier on me as I can just leave straight from work. Regardless, I’ll be tuned in to 1010XL for the postgame show every Friday. Excellent show. 

That being said, Saturday games would 1) completely eliminate my attendance as I spend my days inside gyms at wrestling tournaments or on the football field watching my little one play flag 2) split parents between pop warner and HS 3) the heat is dang near unbearable.

We should not let a few bad apples control the circumstances of our lives. The kids should be playing on Friday night if the field is open and the other team is there.