Jump to content

  • Announcements

    • Joshua Wilson

      Rules of the Forums   09/02/2017

      Please be sure to read the rules of the forums. This is only to help all of us have a good time and we want to keep this board as fun as possible. 
    • SportsNut25

      Talking Other Sports   11/08/2017

      For those interested in talking about other sports, you can talk about them here. 
Sign in to follow this  
Hwy17

8:30 Start times

Recommended Posts

Just wondering how many on here remember when 8:30 start times was the norm? Might not be a bad ideal to bring them back seeing how half the season is in August and September, which is still the rainy season and many games are get weather delayed.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

Just wondering how many on here remember when 8:30 start times was the norm? Might not be a bad ideal to bring them back seeing how half the season is in August and September, which is still the rainy season and many games are get weather delayed.    

I could deal with 8:30 for the first four weeks of the season including the KOC. It might reduce the number of rained out (lightening really) games.

After that, in large urban areas, it would not work for a number of reasons. So, I would then push it back an hour or an hour and a half. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I could deal with 8:30 for the first four weeks of the season including the KOC. It might reduce the number of rained out (lightening really) games.

After that, in large urban areas, it would not work for a number of reasons. So, I would then push it back an hour or an hour and a half. 

I get it would be a challenge in the metro areas.  Back when we started at 8:30 there were fewer schools than there are today and the season started later, usually end of September.  But it made for a way better experience. Fans didn't feel rushed to getting off work to get travel, attendance was better, it was cooler as  night was set in, and in the smaller towns usually there was some form of pregame activities that we just don't do anymore.  Although some games didn't end until close to midnight.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of August and September games having a later start time (8:00, 8:30).  Many times, that's about what time the games start anyway because of weather delays. 

But (and not to completely change the subject of this thread), I'm also the guy who thinks Florida ought to go rogue and switch football and basketball seasons . . .  play the indoor game when it's hot and stormy outside and then play the outdoor game when the weather in Florida is just right for football.   But, I'll save more on that for a later date. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

I get it would be a challenge in the metro areas.  Back when we started at 8:30 there were fewer schools than there are today and the season started later, usually end of September.  But it made for a way better experience. Fans didn't feel rushed to getting off work to get travel, attendance was better,

1. Get the better experience since there would be less rush.

2. But regarding attendance, in metro areas it probably would be worse as the games would be competing with other nocturnal activities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Perspective said:

But (and not to completely change the subject of this thread), I'm also the guy who thinks Florida ought to go rogue and switch football and basketball seasons . . .  play the indoor game when it's hot and stormy outside and then play the outdoor game when the weather in Florida is just right for football.

I am in agreement with you. But it probably would never happen as it would affect football recruiting negatively vis a viz compared with other states to some degree, especially for the seniors that don't have a bunch of offers already approaching February (National signing day). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

1. Get the better experience since there would be less rush.

2. But regarding attendance, in metro areas it probably would be worse as the games would be competing with other nocturnal activities

Those can be done at the stadium :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I am in agreement with you. But it probably would never happen as it would affect football recruiting negatively vis a viz compared with other states to some degree, especially for the seniors that don't have a bunch of offers already approaching February (National signing day). 

That is one of the downsides, but it could possibly be offset by the fact that college coaches (from teams whose seasons have ended or even from teams that are in bowl games) could actually attend the high school games without having to leave at the end of the first quarter to rush back for their own Saturday game.  They could even attend practices.  Same with basketball:  coaches could attend more games because their season will not have started yet. 

The other reason why some people wouldn't like it is because it would likely eliminate OOS games and, thus, the opportunity to compete for a mythical national championship. 

Not to get all melodramatic, but last week a kid from Tampa died during summer workouts.  I just saw on Twitter that the same thing just happened to another a 15-year kid in Louisiana.  Without opening up a political debate, the science behind global warming may ultimately lead the folks in charge of high school and youth sports to look more closely at when certain outdoor activities are taking place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Perspective said:

That is one of the downsides, but it could possibly be offset by the fact that college coaches (from teams whose seasons have ended or even from teams that are in bowl games) could actually attend the high school games without having to leave at the end of the first quarter to rush back for their own Saturday game.  They could even attend practices.  Same with basketball:  coaches could attend more games because their season will not have started yet. 

The other reason why some people wouldn't like it is because it would likely eliminate OOS games and, thus, the opportunity to compete for a mythical national championship. 

Not to get all melodramatic, but last week a kid from Tampa died during summer workouts.  I just saw on Twitter that the same thing just happened to another a 15-year kid in Louisiana.  Without opening up a political debate, the science behind global warming may ultimately lead the folks in charge of high school and youth sports to look more closely at when certain outdoor activities are taking place. 

Its no hotter now than in past decades.  We are spoiled by air conditioning and less conditioned to being in the heat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

Its no hotter now than in past decades.  We are spoiled by air conditioning and less conditioned to being in the heat.

I disagree. Orlando, year round, is a good deal hotter than when I moved here 29 years ago. I can now plant avocados, coconuts, papaya  and mangoes in my backyard without fear that I will lose them to the winter frost. In the short run, that's a good thing as I love all types of fresh fruit and veggies. In the long run, probably not so much ... but I am old, so I will be gone before the funk hits the fan ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if they have thought about playing the games on Saturday or Sunday. Saturday or Sunday evenings would be good for all and would allow everyone to attend. Up north they have always played their games on Saturday at 2 PM. They still play very few night games in the north I believe. Of course playing games in Florida at 2 pm is not advised due to the heat so they would have to be later in the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Games during the 70's and 80's for Manatee always started at 8:00pm, I believe it was in the 90's when the state started having re-occurring issues with Mosquitoes carrying encephalitis. The fear that playing games with night time starting times and playing later into the evening increased  potential exposure, that we started seeing earlier starting times as well as playing on Saturday in some instances. Also aren't there FHSAA rules regarding how late games are to be played.....particularly when games are delayed due to weather or have OT? Later starting would have an impact on this as well potentially...........................

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

Games during the 70's and 80's for Manatee always started at 8:00pm, I believe it was in the 90's when the state started having re-occurring issues with Mosquitoes carrying encephalitis. The fear that playing games with night time starting times and playing later into the evening increased  potential exposure, that we started seeing earlier starting times as well as playing on Saturday in some instances. Also aren't there FHSAA rules regarding how late games are to be played.....particularly when games are delayed due to weather or have OT? Later starting would have an impact on this as well potentially...........................

 

Yep!  In 1990 there was an encephalitis scare and games got moved to late afternoon.  

As far as the rule on how late a game can start, IDK.  I do know that in every year we have weather delayed games, and some I know have started as late as 9 pm.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember watching St. Augustine at Orange Park one year in the 1990s after I graduated and because of rain delays I want to say it didn't end till after midnight or 1 a.m. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



  • Posts

    • I just finished watching all the games from 1984 I could find on youtube. Too bad I didn't see the thread until now. The 1984 Gators would have taken down BYU and probably Washington as well had they been eligible and had a playoff then.
    • Well, I get what you are saying. I suppose the messages could be, easily, even more vague and still convey the point. The coach could mention how great such and such player was the year before and how they'll miss him. Of course, the player can easily head to hudl, rivals, the team web page etc and see the players they had and lost. Really, a coach doesn't need to say anything. Everyone knows if Team A had a senior QB the previous season. Terry and Brady Dean knew STA graduated Curt Casteel and would have a new, unproven QB.  Mostly, we're talking about how to practically-and constitutionally- monitor such communications. Can-in fact, should-governing agencies be requiring teenagers to turn over their personal cell phones and private conversations whenever they wish? What's the justification? That maybe they've talked with their buddies about football? What precedent would that set? Should governing agencies make you and I hand over our cell phones to review all of our private conversations because maybe we discussed business or something? Or because someone commented on Twitter that so-and-so messaged someone? Where there would be standing to do check cell phones would be if a coach texted a kid that didn't want to be texted.  But, as long as the parties involved in the conversations wish for those conversations to remain private, they can and should remain private. It's hardly the end of the world. If a kid is willing to commute further every day to attend school B, and the school has room, the kid should be able to go to School B. Even if he's good at football.
    • Kudos but dwn hea ain’t none of dat lol if you went to ely we don’t Fwu fam No cap. & vice versa ain’t no brotherly love bih. We want to aihh to suffer going 0-10 every year & losing by 80 when you play us. Lol that’s just how it is. 
    • Exactly! I hope you guys win all of your games except when u play us lol. 
    • Although I can make a distinction in the communications between two players from different schools and the communications between a coach from one school and a player from another school, the FHSAA rules don't seem to make that distinction.  In your example above, it appears to me that the coach crosses over the "how's it going?" line when he starts talking about needing the very position played by the kid he's 'talking' to.  That looks a lot like recruiting to me, subtle as it may be.  And, at least under the current FHSAA rules, it's illegal.  Right?  I could be wrong, but isn't this exactly what STA just got in trouble for?  College coaches aren't allowed to communicate with kids who play for other teams, are they (at least not until they enter the portal)?  Pro teams aren't allowed to communicate with guys who play for other teams, are they?  I believe that's called tampering (at least in one of the professional leagues).   Why should high school be different?  Do you think high school coaches should be able to reach out to kids from other schools and expressly encourage them to switch schools?    I know this whole thing gets pretty complicated and I know the slope got a little slippery with the changes the legislature made a few years back.  It occurs to me that the FHSAA is simply doing what it can to keep high school sports from turning into the wild, wild west.  If that's not what the majority of the high schools in Florida want, they have the power to change that.  Right?  
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Popular Contributors

×