Statewide 7v7 tournament

DisabledAccount

I know 7 on 7 play doesn't mean much once everyone straps on the pads, but I did mention earlier in the spring that Steinbrenner is a team to watch this up-coming season. Their QB is the son of a former Tampa Bay Bucs QB, and I was very much impressed with him last year. They also had some young but talented skilled players last year....

17 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

There was definitely more than that 

They had 2 separate pool plays yesterday to determine who advanced to the championship bracket today

Sorry 28 teams I can't see.  Every team made the final bracket.  There were 28 teams.

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I had both pools listed on page one

14 teams in pool 2 for a total of 31 teams and Dillard had two teams so 30 different teams..  That means 5 teams left early.  Let me see if I can figure out who.

Celebration, Trenton, PK Young, Gainesville and Taylor County left early

12 hours ago, badbird said:

14 teams in pool 2 for a total of 31 teams and Dillard had two teams so 30 different teams..  That means 5 teams left early.  Let me see if I can figure out who.

Celebration, Trenton, PK Young, Gainesville and Taylor County left early

Was it pool play on Day 1 and bracket play on Day 2?  If so, I can kind of understand why a team from an hour away might not be real keen on getting all the kids together (some of whom may have to miss a second day of work) for what could turn out to be one 20-25 minute game (especially if they're matched up against a really strong team in the opening round).   Smarter approach (in my view) for a 2-day tournament is to continue pool play onto the second day (so that traveling teams know that they'll get to play at least three more games on Day 2), then take a lunch break to set up the brackets and start bracket play after the break. 

If this tournament was set up that way, then I don't have much respect for the teams that didn't show up Day 2 (unless they made it clear to the organizers from the start that they could only play Day 1). 

5 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Was it pool play on Day 1 and bracket play on Day 2?  If so, I can kind of understand why a team from an hour away might not be real keen on getting all the kids together (some of whom may have to miss a second day of work) for what could turn out to be one 20-25 minute game (especially if they're matched up against a really strong team in the opening round).   Smarter approach (in my view) for a 2-day tournament is to continue pool play onto the second day (so that traveling teams know that they'll get to play at least three more games on Day 2), then take a lunch break to set up the brackets and start bracket play after the break. 

If this tournament was set up that way, then I don't have much respect for the teams that didn't show up Day 2 (unless they made it clear to the organizers from the start that they could only play Day 1). 

Both brackets of pool play was on day 1 and tournament bracket was day 2

24 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Both brackets of pool play was on day 1 and tournament bracket was day 2

Thank you.   So, to my point, almost half the teams returned for Day 2, lost their opening game in the tournament bracket and then had to pack it up and head home.  The "guaranty" of playing only one game on Day 2 might not be enough to warrant a team on limited resources from paying for hotel rooms or mobilizing the squad for a return trip.  Just something for the organizers to consider . . . especially if they truly want to make this a state-wide tournament.    If nothing else, consider a loser's bracket, perhaps with the winner of the loser's bracket getting the final spot in the Elite 8.  In other words, make it worth the effort for teams to return on Day 2. 

34 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Thank you.   So, to my point, almost half the teams returned for Day 2, lost their opening game in the tournament bracket and then had to pack it up and head home.  The "guaranty" of playing only one game on Day 2 might not be enough to warrant a team on limited resources from paying for hotel rooms or mobilizing the squad for a return trip.  Just something for the organizers to consider . . . especially if they truly want to make this a state-wide tournament.    If nothing else, consider a loser's bracket, perhaps with the winner of the loser's bracket getting the final spot in the Elite 8.  In other words, make it worth the effort for teams to return on Day 2. 

I thought a double elimination bracket would be a good thing to consider but it may be harder to do as the number of teams grows each year 

just a update on Columbia end

they not only were down 2 starting receivers from spring injuries but our stud QB didn't play down in the tournament

That being said I'm impressed with how they did and probably would have done much better with Jordan Smith in there

With the off-season upgrades and a strong returning core I'm fully confident this team will win district for second straight year and should be in a good spot to potentially win their region 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

just a update on Columbia end

they not only were down 2 starting receivers from spring injuries but our stud QB didn't play down in the tournament

That being said I'm impressed with how they did and probably would have done much better with Jordan Smith in there

With the off-season upgrades and a strong returning core I'm fully confident this team will win district for second straight year and should be in a good spot to potentially win their region 

what appears to be a weak North Bracket this is there year.  If not now it may be never