Jump to content

  • Announcements

    • Joshua Wilson

      Rules of the Forums   09/02/2017

      Please be sure to read the rules of the forums. This is only to help all of us have a good time and we want to keep this board as fun as possible. 
    • SportsNut25

      Talking Other Sports   11/08/2017

      For those interested in talking about other sports, you can talk about them here. 
ColumbiaHighFan2017class

Statewide 7v7 tournament

Recommended Posts


I know 7 on 7 play doesn't mean much once everyone straps on the pads, but I did mention earlier in the spring that Steinbrenner is a team to watch this up-coming season. Their QB is the son of a former Tampa Bay Bucs QB, and I was very much impressed with him last year. They also had some young but talented skilled players last year....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

There was definitely more than that 

 

They had 2 separate pool plays yesterday to determine who advanced to the championship bracket today

Sorry 28 teams I can't see.  Every team made the final bracket.  There were 28 teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I had both pools listed on page one

14 teams in pool 2 for a total of 31 teams and Dillard had two teams so 30 different teams..  That means 5 teams left early.  Let me see if I can figure out who.

Celebration, Trenton, PK Young, Gainesville and Taylor County left early

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, badbird said:

14 teams in pool 2 for a total of 31 teams and Dillard had two teams so 30 different teams..  That means 5 teams left early.  Let me see if I can figure out who.

Celebration, Trenton, PK Young, Gainesville and Taylor County left early

 

 

Was it pool play on Day 1 and bracket play on Day 2?  If so, I can kind of understand why a team from an hour away might not be real keen on getting all the kids together (some of whom may have to miss a second day of work) for what could turn out to be one 20-25 minute game (especially if they're matched up against a really strong team in the opening round).   Smarter approach (in my view) for a 2-day tournament is to continue pool play onto the second day (so that traveling teams know that they'll get to play at least three more games on Day 2), then take a lunch break to set up the brackets and start bracket play after the break. 

If this tournament was set up that way, then I don't have much respect for the teams that didn't show up Day 2 (unless they made it clear to the organizers from the start that they could only play Day 1). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Was it pool play on Day 1 and bracket play on Day 2?  If so, I can kind of understand why a team from an hour away might not be real keen on getting all the kids together (some of whom may have to miss a second day of work) for what could turn out to be one 20-25 minute game (especially if they're matched up against a really strong team in the opening round).   Smarter approach (in my view) for a 2-day tournament is to continue pool play onto the second day (so that traveling teams know that they'll get to play at least three more games on Day 2), then take a lunch break to set up the brackets and start bracket play after the break. 

If this tournament was set up that way, then I don't have much respect for the teams that didn't show up Day 2 (unless they made it clear to the organizers from the start that they could only play Day 1). 

Both brackets of pool play was on day 1 and tournament bracket was day 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Both brackets of pool play was on day 1 and tournament bracket was day 2

Thank you.   So, to my point, almost half the teams returned for Day 2, lost their opening game in the tournament bracket and then had to pack it up and head home.  The "guaranty" of playing only one game on Day 2 might not be enough to warrant a team on limited resources from paying for hotel rooms or mobilizing the squad for a return trip.  Just something for the organizers to consider . . . especially if they truly want to make this a state-wide tournament.    If nothing else, consider a loser's bracket, perhaps with the winner of the loser's bracket getting the final spot in the Elite 8.  In other words, make it worth the effort for teams to return on Day 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Thank you.   So, to my point, almost half the teams returned for Day 2, lost their opening game in the tournament bracket and then had to pack it up and head home.  The "guaranty" of playing only one game on Day 2 might not be enough to warrant a team on limited resources from paying for hotel rooms or mobilizing the squad for a return trip.  Just something for the organizers to consider . . . especially if they truly want to make this a state-wide tournament.    If nothing else, consider a loser's bracket, perhaps with the winner of the loser's bracket getting the final spot in the Elite 8.  In other words, make it worth the effort for teams to return on Day 2. 

I thought a double elimination bracket would be a good thing to consider but it may be harder to do as the number of teams grows each year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a coach, you get way more benefits from Day One. You’re guaranteed six games as opposed to one the second day. As others have said, sometimes it’s just not worth it to rally the troops for what could be one game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just a update on Columbia end

 

they not only were down 2 starting receivers from spring injuries but our stud QB didn't play down in the tournament

 

 

 

That being said I'm impressed with how they did and probably would have done much better with Jordan Smith in there

 

With the off-season upgrades and a strong returning core I'm fully confident this team will win district for second straight year and should be in a good spot to potentially win their region 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

just a update on Columbia end

 

they not only were down 2 starting receivers from spring injuries but our stud QB didn't play down in the tournament

 

 

 

That being said I'm impressed with how they did and probably would have done much better with Jordan Smith in there

 

With the off-season upgrades and a strong returning core I'm fully confident this team will win district for second straight year and should be in a good spot to potentially win their region 

what appears to be a weak North Bracket this is there year.  If not now it may be never

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, badbird said:

what appears to be a weak North Bracket this is there year.  If not now it may be never

Region 1 isn't that bad, it's about on par with region 1 of 6a from past few years (maybe better) 

 

Now if you referring to region 2 of 6a than yes I agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×