Who Is This Great FL HS Playoff Team? Armwood

OldSchoolLion

All of the following teams are tough to beat when they are the "home" team in the playoffs.  But, historically, one has proven to be the hardest team of them all to beat at home in the playoffs.  This team has won an amazing 95% of its home playoff games. 

Who is it?  Bonus question:  Which is the last team to beat them at their home?

#1 Armwood 40-2 (95%)  last loss at home came against Lake Gibson in 2002

#2 Bolles 56-4 (93%)

#3 Manatee 35-3 (92%)

#4 St Thomas Aquinas 68-7 (91%)

#5 Pahokee 37-4 (90%)

#6 Booker T Washington  31-4 (89%)

#7 Madison County 43-7 (86%)

#8 Lakeland 50-11 (82%)

NOTE: Fort Meade and Port St Joe both have home playoff winning percentages between 83-85%.

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

All of the following teams are tough to beat when they are the "home" team in the playoffs.  But, historically, one has proven to be the hardest team of them all to beat at home in the playoffs.  This team has won an amazing 95% of its home playoff games. 

Armwood

Bolles

Booker T Washington

Lakeland

Madison County

Manatee

Pahokee

St Thomas Aquinas

The answer is St. Thomas Aquinas and the last team to beat them at their field in the playoffs was Miami Edison in 2003.

Lakeland is certainly a tough out in the playoffs at home, but it is not the Dreadnaughts.  LHS is 50-11 at Bryant Stadium, an 82% winning percentage.  Their last loss at home came at the hands of Plant...a 13-10 loss in the 2017 7A Region 2 final.  

...and prior to that?  ...to Plant in a 2009 5A state semi.

It's not Madison County.  Boot Hill is a really tough place to visit in the playoffs, but not the toughest.  Madison County is 43-7 there in the playoffs historically, an 86% winning percentage.  Trenton was the last to win there..in the 2015 1A semis.  Bolles has won a playoff game at Boot Hill 3 times since 2006.  

14 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Armwood

Bolles

Booker T Washington

Lakeland

Madison County

Manatee

Pahokee

St Thomas Aquinas

For some reason, I suspect the answer may be Armwood. Although they don't have a lot of State Titles, they have made the title game multiple times since the beginning of this century. And being district champions most years, would have more home playoff games than road ones. 

Assuming Armwood is the correct answer, I have no idea who last beat them in the playoffs on their home field.

Upon reflection, I don't remember for sure, but Armwood and Booker T. Washington had many epic battles when they were in the south bracket of the same classification. They typically met in the semis and it is possible BTW may have one one of those at Armwood. It is not clear to me that the Wood has lost any playoff games at home in the past ten or more seasons on the field. But perhaps I am forgetting a game or two ...

45 minutes ago, Miamidade92 said:

Great question, tough one. 

I'm taking a guess here and saying it's BTW, and Cocoa beat them on their home field in the playoffs. 

It is not Booker T.  BTW is 31-4 historically when playing at home (Traz Powell) in the playoffs.  That is an 89% winning percentage.  Their last home playoff loss came at the hands of Glades Central last season.  

27 minutes ago, smashmouth80 said:

I'm gunna say Bolles and Marianna beat them at home in 2001 I think. 

Bolles is #2 on the list with a fantastic 56-4 home stadium playoff record.  That is a 93% winning percentage.  Their last home playoff loss was in 2000 to Marianna, the eventual 2A runner-up.

19 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

For some reason, I suspect the answer may be Armwood. Although they don't have a lot of State Titles, they have made the title game multiple times since the beginning of this century. And being district champions most years, would have more home playoff games than road ones. 

Assuming Armwood is the correct answer, I have no idea who last beat them in the playoffs on their home field.

Upon reflection, I don't remember for sure, but Armwood and Booker T. Washington had many epic battles when they were in the south bracket of the same classification. They typically met in the semis and it is possible BTW may have one one of those at Armwood. It is not clear to me that the Wood has lost any playoff games at home in the past ten or more seasons on the field. But perhaps I am forgetting a game or two ...

It is Armwood, which sports an incredible record of 40-2 when playing at Lyle Flagg in the playoffs.  Their last playoff loss at home came against Lake Gibson in 2002.  Their other loss came against Merritt Island.  Both losses were by less than a TD.

#3 on the list is Manatee, who last loss a playoff game at home against St Thomas Aquinas in 2005.

I've put all of the team's historical home playoff records in the original post.