East Central Florida Top 19 (UPDATED)

Pipe Dreams

No way I would put Lake Mary that high.  The young QB comes back and he is good but unless they got a bunch of transfers they lost about 15 starters to graduation.

I also don't see Olympia as a top 20 team but looking at their schedule they could win 7 games. 

My pick again this year is Lake Minneola.  They got like 12 transfers and no reason they shouldn't be at least 8-2.   They probably will blow it.

Lake Mary was my riskiest bet here. I don’t hedge, I try to do season-ending rankings week 0 and my gut says Lake Mary will be an outlier.

Lake Mary has talent at WR, will put up big points. I’m very high on their QB as I am McClain of Seminole. The two teams are very similar.

1 hour ago, Pipe Dreams said:

Lake Mary was my riskiest bet here. I don’t hedge, I try to do season-ending rankings week 0 and my gut says Lake Mary will be an outlier.

Lake Mary has talent at WR, will put up big points. I’m very high on their QB as I am McClain of Seminole. The two teams are very similar.

your picks.  I'm not saying I'm right.  We will know in a few weeks.  Lake Mary schedule is kind of challenging.  West Orange, Apopka, Seminole, Godby, Oviedo, Lake Brantley 

On 7/10/2019 at 11:58 AM, skyway said:

Indeed. Growing up there, we always had access to both Tampa and Orlando news stations through basic TV (rabbit ears or cable). But, as you said above, this is all about the area the Orlando Sentinel deems worthy of their efforts/where most of their subscribers are from. Polk has the Ledger, so subscriptions to the Sentinel are quite low. I guess it just seems to make more sense to label the rankings "Orlando Sentinel coverage area rankings" :)

All true. For a long time Daytona Mainland played in the Metro Conference with all the big Orlando schools. Most of them only 50-60 miles away. With the growing bedroom communities springing up to the east of downtown coinciding with the Disney explosion, these closer new schools replaced some of the old rivals. Up till a decade or two ago the Orlando Sentinel was still selling thousands of daily newspapers on the Volusia county side of the St John's River bridge (30 miles from Daytona).        

Playing without starting QB Chayil Garnett, Lakeland led Osceola 30-0 after one quarter, 36-0 in the 2nd quarter when the running clock kicked in. Playing with more backups as the running clock ran, Lakeland took the 2nd half kickoff and drove for a TD to go up 43-0. More backups came in and Osceola managed three TDs late to lose 43-20. 

Original post updated with final ranking before week 1 and picks for the top 5 week 1 games. 

I don't want to talk about the Edgewater-DP game. 

Edgewater is elite...legit. I watched the highlights. I underestimated their offensive line, which is a strength of the team. They execute on offense like they've been suited up for months. State title contender without a doubt and should be nationally ranked. They play Bishop Moore this week in a huge game that I have them winning 35-17. 

What's scary is on paper this DP offense is as loaded they've been since 2010. I said I wasn't going to get into it... let's just say I'm a confused man at the moment. I can't scale the damn thing like I used to.... Lakeland and Edgewater look light years ahead of two major 8A contenders, and there has ALWAYS been parity at that level especially in C-Fla. 

The times are changing. This year may seriously rebalance some of the high parity we've seen in years past in C-Fla....It's sImilar to the early 2000's when (guess who) Edgewater and Lakeland were a notch above the rest (in addition to Armwood and the occasional outlier team like 02 Apopka). 

Rant over... not even gonna proof read it.... DP @ Seminole will be VERY telling especially when comparing the best of 8A vs the best of 7A. I have Seminole 35-20 because I can't pick DP in every game for eternity and need to keep my board drip level on at least 90. 

McClain could have himself a day

2 minutes ago, Pipe Dreams said:

What's scary is on paper this DP offense is as loaded they've been since 2010. I said I wasn't going to get into it... let's just say I'm a confused man at the moment. I can't scale the damn thing like I used to.... Lakeland and Edgewater look light years ahead of two major 8A contenders, and there has ALWAYS been parity at that level especially in C-Fla. 

The times are changing. This year may seriously rebalance some of the high parity we've seen in years past in C-Fla. SImilar to the early 2000's when (guess who) Edgewater and Lakeland were a notch above the rest. 

Rant over... not even gonna proof read it

It’s a preseason game.  Lakeland might be the best team in the state.  Edgewater returned pretty much everyone from last year but the QB.  It’s a long season.  Don’t count out Osceola or DP yet.  Osceola has Columbus and Cocoa weeks 2 and 3 so a 1-2 start is likely

I already updated the original post. 

Watching the highlights I saw...........

1) Edgewater blocking was incredible

2) On the long plays DP was in position but the Edgewater guys went full 99 overall madden ranking and made unreal plays. 

Was a shock to all on the DP side. 34-0 in the 2nd just doesn't happen. 

1 hour ago, Pipe Dreams said:

The times are changing. This year may seriously rebalance some of the high parity we've seen in years past in C-Fla....It's sImilar to the early 2000's when (guess who) Edgewater and Lakeland were a notch above the rest (in addition to Armwood and the occasional outlier team like 02 Apopka). 

Rant over... not even gonna proof read it.... DP @ Seminole will be VERY telling especially when comparing the best of 8A vs the best of 7A. I have Seminole 35-20 because I can't pick DP in every game for eternity and need to keep my board drip level on at least 90. 

McClain could have himself a day

From what I gather, Edgewater is similar to Lakeland in that they loaded up with transfers over the summer. All of those transfers is the x factor as to why we see the kind of obscene routs over ostensibly excellent teams.

22 hours ago, badbird said:

It’s a preseason game.  Lakeland might be the best team in the state.  Edgewater returned pretty much everyone from last year but the QB.  It’s a long season.  Don’t count out Osceola or DP yet.  Osceola has Columbus and Cocoa weeks 2 and 3 so a 1-2 start is likely

I agree, those two games will let us know how good Osceola can be.

I can't really tell how good they will be as they played Edgewater pretty good in the Kickoff classic it was 7-3 Osceola leading in 3 quarters of Varsity action. But, then played a very sloppy and undisciplined game against Lakeland. (Who is Very Very good!) 

If there is anything good that came out of the kickoff classic, it showed me there is a chance Osceola might start opening up the playbook a little more. They have a solid Sophmore Qb who immediately made a impact once he came in against lakeland and threw for 3 TDs....