Phillips Field Tampa

nolebull813

Blast from the past. From the 30’s-60’s Phillips Field was a 20,000 seat stadium that was home to the University of Tampa football team. 

It was predominately used for local high school football as well. Hillsborough, Jefferson, Plant and Jesuit would routinely clash at Phillips, sometimes bringing in capacity crowds from 10,000-20,000 during Armistice Day and Thanksgiving games. 

Sadly it was demolished in the 60’s and UT abandoned football. 

How great would it be for Tampa to have a 20K seat stadium today? 

All the big rivalry games. Plant/Robinson, Plant/Hillsborough, Tampa Catholic/Jesuit, Blake/Middleton. 

Small colleges could play neutral site games. Would be perfect for high school state title games, music concerts etc. 

Man I never been so irritated for something happening 20 years before I was born than Phillips Field closing. Lmao! 

19 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Blast from the past. From the 30’s-60’s Phillips Field was a 20,000 seat stadium that was home to the University of Tampa football team. 

It was predominately used for local high school football as well. Hillsborough, Jefferson, Plant and Jesuit would routinely clash at Phillips, sometimes bringing in capacity crowds from 10,000-20,000 during Armistice Day and Thanksgiving games. 

Sadly it was demolished in the 60’s and UT abandoned football. 

How great would it be for Tampa to have a 20K seat stadium today? 

All the big rivalry games. Plant/Robinson, Plant/Hillsborough, Tampa Catholic/Jesuit, Blake/Middleton. 

Small colleges could play neutral site games. Would be perfect for high school state title games, music concerts etc. 

Man I never been so irritated for something happening 20 years before I was born than Phillips Field closing. Lmao! 

Reminds me a bit of Lockhart Stadium in Broward....about 20k seating capacity  A lot of high schools played there over the years. 

7 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Reminds me a bit of Lockhart Stadium in Broward....about 20k seating capacity  A lot of high schools played there over the years. 

Right about that but I always felt like Lockhart should only he used for high school championship games lol

But the fact there are high schools with no home football field on campus is crazy 

13 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Right about that but I always felt like Lockhart should only he used for high school championship games lol

But the fact there are high schools with no home football field on campus is crazy 

There are actually a lot around the state or their home stadiums are really only Soccer stadiums.