Why is Florida high school offensive play calling so vanilla compared to other states.

THIS_IS_DILLARD

One of the things I noticed in Florida is that our offensive play calling as a state is so vanilla & basic; where as other states like Cali & Etc are running pro style offenses. 

We have coaches down here who played & coached in the college & pro ranks but yet it seem they bring none of their play callings with them when they come to coach hS.

10 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

One of the things I noticed in Florida is that our offensive play calling as a state is so vanilla & basic; where as other states like Cali & Etc are running pro style offenses. 

We have coaches down here who played & coached in the college & pro ranks but yet it seem they bring none of their play callings with them when they come to coach hS.

I think its human nature to do what's easy.  Developing a qb and receiving corp takes work and not every year you got a natural born talent at qb. But finding a big guy you can put at running back and say to your opponents,  come and stop him, that's easy.

2 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

I think its human nature to do what's easy.  Developing a qb and receiving corp takes work and not every year you got a natural born talent at qb. But finding a big guy you can put at running back and say to your opponents,  come and stop him, that's easy.

I think that's all coaching and determination tho because if you have a great coaching staff and kids that buy in you have them for 4 years & 4 off seasons. 

I see a lot of BS offenses where it’s just get it to your best athlete in space and let him work. And that works wonders against most teams if you’re more talented than them. However, I am starting to see more college style offenses up here in NE FL. 

14 minutes ago, Jags904 said:

I see a lot of BS offenses where it’s just get it to your best athlete in space and let him work. And that works wonders against most teams if you’re more talented than them. However, I am starting to see more college style offenses up here in NE FL. 

I may be missing your point.   Wouldn't one of the signs of a good offense be the ability to come up with multiple plays, week in and week out, where the offense is able to get the ball to their best/fastest athlete in open space? 

Really, many of the teams that I see are running some form of the spread option (even whatever ESPN High School Game) with the same basic idea, put the ball in the hands of your best athlete (QB) and allow him to make the plays necessary to win. Yes, many of them can throw the ball, but they are making just as many plays with their feet.

I also think the spread option makes a lot of sense. While I think it is easier to build a consistent offensive line through the weight room, I think there are more little speedy/shifty guys walking the halls of your school. As a result, it is easier to get the ball in space and allow them to create. 

The spread option (or some variant) is basically what all of the colleges are running today. As a result, if a high school coach thinks it is his job to get his players into college then he is going to emulate what colleges are doing. I am not saying this is the right idea. 

7 hours ago, Perspective said:

I may be missing your point.   Wouldn't one of the signs of a good offense be the ability to come up with multiple plays, week in and week out, where the offense is able to get the ball to their best/fastest athlete in open space? 

The same plays, over and over again, is what I’m saying. Like they just don’t have the guys to belong on the field with you. And I wouldn’t say it’s bad coaching, it’s just not going to beat teams that are similar to you talent wise.