2001 6A Title Game - Northwestern v Apopka

OldSchoolLion

9 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

The offensive show came from Alan Abrams. He had close to 175 yards rushing in the game. 

I see. I remember being at that game (was a student at FSU), but I only remembered the announcers calling Merriweather for some reason, but #9 was the man. Northwestern couldn’t stop that counter

1 minute ago, 561_Fan said:

I see. I remember being at that game (was a student at FSU), but I only remembered the announcers calling Merriweather for some reason, but #9 was the man. Northwestern couldn’t stop that counter

Yeah, Alan had a lot of potential, went to Mississippi, started as a true freshman, and then just disappeared. Not sure what happened with him, but a promising career was never fulfilled. 

I was at this game but did not remember like I am now seeing it.  Something that stood out to me watching it now is Ricky D was not running the Single Wing then they were in a very traditional Wing T.  When did Darlington switch to the full on Single Wing?

That and I DO remember the fumble Rooskie LMAO still can't believe RD pulled that off lol and it was soooo close.

1 hour ago, peezy28 said:

I was at this game but did not remember like I am now seeing it.  Something that stood out to me watching it now is Ricky D was not running the Single Wing then they were in a very traditional Wing T.  When did Darlington switch to the full on Single Wing?

That and I DO remember the fumble Rooskie LMAO still can't believe RD pulled that off lol and it was soooo close.

58 minutes ago, peezy28 said:

So he was not running that when he was at Valdosta, I thought he was and it was part of their problem accepting him.

He ran spread when he was there and for the first two games of the 2006 season when he came back. Then he lost to Lake Brantly by a baseball score and went back to running the ball.

He began experimenting with the single wing in 2006 but fully implemented it the following year.  

knew badbird was guru, liked the name guru better.

badbird/guru, remember when Berry’s son for Apopka punted in the 4th qtr vs DP in 2005, up 16-13, evading the SURE sack/block/fumble on the 1 while being tackled, and DP fumbled the punt return ???

We had y’all. Crazy 14-point play. 

badbird and I have actually been on opposing sidelines, head coach (APK) vs player (DP). I missed the first 6 games that year with a broken fibula. I’m sure Guru is relieved of that fact (ha)

20 minutes ago, Pipe Dreams said:

badbird/guru, remember when Berry’s son for Apopka punted in the 4th qtr vs DP in 2005, up 16-13, evading the SURE sack/block/fumble on the 1 while being tackled, and DP fumbled the punt return ???

RB should have played receiver or DB in addition to his kicking/punting duties from his sophomore year. Very good high school athlete who only played on offense in his senior year. His younger brother was not bad either.