Obesity in HS Linemen

OldSchoolLion

I just read an article about this young man.  He is a 6'1", 318 pound FL hs lineman who will be a senior next season.  Who knows what he will weigh in another 12 months.  The article spoke about what a great athlete he is and how he just landed a big offer from a major university.  There was not one mention in the article about his physical condition and the possible need for him to lose weight to be a more effective player, and, much more importantly, to be a healthy person.  

It is not my intent in the slightest to shame this young man by my comments here...and I am intentionally not naming him.  I showed the article to a friend who is an MD and his comment..."morbidly obese," ie 100 pounds or more overweight for one's height.  This kid is being set up for diabetes and a number of other medical conditions.  What is sickening is how the media glamorizes his bright future   Will some hs linemen look at this and think, "I need to look like that to get a college scholarship."   Are we turning hs football into a freak show?  IMO, this is not a healthy-looking athlete, regardless of his 40 time.  I've come to expect this in the college ranks, but it really bothers me to see this level of extremity in the hs ranks.  

Obesity is a big problem in retired NFL linemen. https://www.newser.com/story/270202/its-not-just-concussions-plaguing-ex-nfl-players.html  Do an internet search on the topic and prepare to be surprised.  

Westley%20Neal

Whichever school he lands at will take care of him. I know this from personal experience as well as athletes I have coached that went on to play college football. That kid will come away with more awareness of nutrition than the average person. 

It is interesting though as soon as these players are done (they try to lose the weight) and probably have help at their colleges, How many of these high school kids swell to 270+ and then have a hard time losing it when they don't go to colleges.

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/heavy-burden-ex-griz-linemen-focus-on-health-weight-loss/article_3fdd0a80-08ba-5b6f-b69a-2f6c6caa43c8.html

Ethan White - (OG, Clearwater HS),  came into the University of Florida football program this past winter weighing close to 400 lbs, my understanding was that by spring his weight was down to 340-350 lbs and there' talk of him possibly seeing playing time.......so i agree, college programs will get these young men on a better program from a weight standpoint