Dillard Will Have 65 possibly 70 kids on the varsity sideline come kickoff.

THIS_IS_DILLARD

15 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Exactly. In fact at the youth level they are weight limits in football. We need one at the high school level to protect both smaller players and the really overweight ones (in this case from themselves) or else we will only fuel the calls from those who want the game banned. 

Darter... Actually most youth levels in this state are doing away with weight limits.  Starting at the higher levels but they are now a lot of leagues with unlimited weight at all levels and kids are only separate by age.  The fact they are going away from it means t here is no way there would ever be an established limit in high school.  But I do think 400 is extreme and unhealthy.  But I have seen big kids like 330 to 350 dominate and be athletic.  

14 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Hmmm fair assessment I can respect that but can I ask why you say we will need luck ?? 

And before quickly answering look at it unbiased. The two time 6a champ is out of the district the 6a champ before that is out of the district. 

A few of the 6a north contenders are also out of the district. 

So now you have power house MC .... AVG to above Avg southridge Dillard & mainland 

dark horse norland & Belen. 

Dillard & MC went head to head for all 4 Qts in the playoffs where as CG & STA were both demolished by central. 

Coming into 2019 Dillard only got better got deeper faster & stronger. & have a solid coaching staff. So I’m sorry but if you ask me the south region is gonna either be Dillard or MC. Representing in Orlando. And I’m not being biased because it’s my school. But during this off season MC hasn’t made any big splash moves their biggest down fall is still their DEFENSE & DL their qb play is still in question. 

So just from a football stand point MC is not a clear cut fav to run rug shot through 6a like in their dalvin cook years. This can b Dillard most talented team since 2000 & that’s saying a lot.

Simple answer... Because they have not done it.  To be the man you have to beat the man so until I see proof it can be done I will bet with the house.

9 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

It is now college junior. All we now need is a formal draft!

It is really sad.   A team like Lake Minneola has picked up over 12 transfers.  I know if you build it they will come right.  Once again nothing against Lake Minneola it is the society we live in now.  Everyone is out looking for something better instead of making what they have better.  I for one just don't like it.  Hopefully we can start playing soon so we don't have to talk about the transfers anymore and maybe I will forget they exist.  Just maybe

2 hours ago, peezy28 said:

Simple answer... Because they have not done it.  To be the man you have to beat the man so until I see proof it can be done I will bet with the house.

I can agree but we do also live in what have you done for me lately world. And if we’re talking about just last year and going into this year Dillard & MC are evenly matched. From the paper to the field just look at the roster & tape.

2 hours ago, badbird said:

14 transfers.   Yup high school football is no longer about teaching kids how to be a better man.  This is nothing against Dillard.  

I can see why you say that and I agree but I’m Dillard’s case this is a first year after year we have lost talent amongst talent to these other power houses we have hardly ever benefited from getting them like the our counterparts. So if we’re getting them now I believe that’s a testament to the changes that has happened at Dillard to make them a contender

2 hours ago, badbird said:

It is really sad.   A team like Lake Minneola has picked up over 12 transfers.  I know if you build it they will come right.  Once again nothing against Lake Minneola it is the society we live in now.  Everyone is out looking for something better instead of making what they have better.  I for one just don't like it.  Hopefully we can start playing soon so we don't have to talk about the transfers anymore and maybe I will forget they exist.  Just maybe

I agree. Overall, it cheapens the meaning of success. But it probably just reflects human nature. When we don't have rules that properly limit stuff like this, first a team or two take advantage, then everyone that wants to do well and has access to nearby talent feels compelled to.

The end result is that year after year, a handful of teams make it to the title games in most classes ... it is probably part, though not all, of the reason that the finals attendance has shrunk over the years. 

25 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I agree. Overall, it cheapens the meaning of success. But it probably just reflects human nature. When we don't have rules that properly limit stuff like this, first a team or two take advantage, then everyone that wants to do well and has access to nearby talent feels compelled to.

The end result is that year after year, a handful of teams make it to the title games in most classes ... it is probably part, though not all, of the reason that the finals attendance has shrunk over the years. 

Interesting I’m about to make a thread about this and I would love to hear your opinion. 

1 minute ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Interesting I’m about to make a thread about this and I would love to hear your opinion. 

Go ahead and start it. It is something that I have an opinion on. Back in the late 1990s when I first started to follow high school football, there were powers. But from year to year, there was no guarantee that these schools would make states: not even the well funded private schools like St. Thomas. That's because the concept of the "super team" had not fully developed yet. So, even the very good programs had their weaknesses which resulted in them often getting taken down in the later rounds of the playoffs. This is not so much the case today. 

8 hours ago, peezy28 said:

Yeah, that is apart of the game there are no weight limits in football.  HOw often do you hear a kid getting hurt by going up against a bigger kid?  Its usually a kid who is 150 getting banged by a kid who is 200 and can fly like a rocket.  Chances is that kid hits harder than teh 300 or 400lb kid because he can move that body much faster and make himself a projectile.  I am going to disagree with you.  Football is football it balances out.

I was a 150-160lb RB in  high school... The only time I got injured concussed or injured was going up against speedy LBs who probably weight somewhere from 180 to 230 or even DBs catching me off guard... I never got hurt being tackled by the big guys.  They rap and fall or grap.

I understand what you are saying and don't necessarily disagree with your statement, Peezy.  A big problem is the image of the game today.  At the end of the day, mom usually has a say in whether her boy plays football.  And I believe that the "typical" mom out there looks at these 300+ pound kids and then looks at her 140-pound kid and tells him to find another sport. 

Except for kickers, we typically don't see players in the NFL playing against others that weigh 2.5 times their bodyweight.  The disparity in high school can appear more extreme, and sometimes is.    

3 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I understand what you are saying and don't necessarily disagree with your statement, Peezy.  A big problem is the image of the game today.  At the end of the day, mom usually has a say in whether her boy plays football.  And I believe that the "typical" mom out there looks at these 300+ pound kids and then looks at her 140-pound kid and tells him to find another sport. 

Except for kickers, we typically don't see players in the NFL playing against others that weigh 2.5 times their bodyweight.  The disparity in high school can appear more extreme, and sometimes is.    

I get your point on this

3 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

And a lot of times if your to small colleges won’t look at you 150 160 is just not cutting it I football anymore 

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I believe that the "typical" mom out there looks at these 300+ pound kids and then looks at her 140-pound kid and tells him to find another sport. 

And the mom wouldnt be wrong. If a 140lb high school player playing varsity football and isn't playing a skill position then he might want to change sports (but not until the season is over). If the 140lb player is playing varsity football in the trenches it could be dangerous. Coaches need to take those type of kids and put them somewhere where they can be successful. For example, instead of writing a kid off,  lets teach them how to long snap,  place hold, etc... The benefits of playing high school football far outweigh the risks.

17 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

I can agree but we do also live in what have you done for me lately world. And if we’re talking about just last year and going into this year Dillard & MC are evenly matched. From the paper to the field just look at the roster & tape.

Bro... You proving my point... If your saying what have you done for me lately who has done "more" lately LOL.  We are talking about this year well since neither team has played a game only thing you can go on is history and tradition.  I can tell you I think the school I support now Clearwater is going to be bad arse and go Undefeated and make it to state because I seen them practice and they have a huge Oline a D1 QB, RB and WR and blah blah blah... But if I do that folks will immediately go look at what they have done the last few years and tell me I am crazy... and they would not be wrong in that assumption. 

11 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I mean that just goes to show and say that football isn't for everyone so those kids mama told to find another sport probably was best for them.  Personally my mom, Mother of 3 boys would have seen them and asked me "Them some big boys out there you better not be scared of them"  In which I would have replied "Only men that I fear are my dad and god."  We personally were not raised to have those fears.  Hesitation maybe but get your but out there and figure it out.  

11 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

And a lot of times if your to small colleges won’t look at you 150 160 is just not cutting it I football anymore 

Not everyone who plays high school football is doing it to get into college.  Probably 90% of kids who play HSFB don't get a scholarship to play at the next level

9 hours ago, Just A Coach said:

And the mom wouldnt be wrong. If a 140lb high school player playing varsity football and isn't playing a skill position then he might want to change sports (but not until the season is over). If the 140lb player is playing varsity football in the trenches it could be dangerous. Coaches need to take those type of kids and put them somewhere where they can be successful. For example, instead of writing a kid off,  lets teach them how to long snap,  place hold, etc... The benefits of playing high school football far outweigh the risks.

Something you have to know if a kid is 140-160 and playing the game that kid has some serious heart.   You have to.  Not to brag but I was considered one of the hardest hitters on my squad at my 160lb frame.  I made a point to (before this was illegal) find the angle fine the ball and projectile launch with every ounce of strength I had.  I played safety on defense (yes this was back in the day where everyone played both ways because we only had about 25 to 30 players on our team lol).

Some of my biggest idles were the Ronnie Lotts, Steve Atwaters John Lynchs those are  the guys i wanted to be like.  As a RB I did not have the juke ability of Barry lol so it was all 1 cuts and drop the bucket.... I got the worst of that exchange most times but being that I was small I caught most by surprise... You think I am going out of bounce NOPE take this! LOL. 

This is just the late 90's the game is different now most of what I did is probably outlawed.