3A 2019 Style!

SPCjessica2004

Hey everybody! Sorry I haven't posted a preview for the upcoming football season. We haven't put together a big preview like years past, but I figured I would post some thoughts on the upcoming season. It's not as detailed as I would have liked, but it's what I have to give to the community.

First off, here's our top 5 teams in 3A for 2019.

#1 Jacksonville Trinity Christian- JaxTCA returns to their old stomping grounds in 3A after winning four consecutive state championships from 2013-2016. While much ink has been spilt about the defensive secondary, the offense is looking mighty prolific. The schedule is going to be a tough nut to crack, but JaxTCA is well prepared to have success. The challenge for JaxTCA isn't that they aren't a great team, but it's going to be team health. For 3A, JaxTCA is arguably the deepest team around; however, in comparison to the teams they will be playing they can't match their depth.  Still, expect to see JaxTCA in the state finals in December even if they do get banged up.

#2) Chaminade-Madonna-  The defending two time state champions in 3A are sitting in a great position into 2019. They return quite a bit of talent and have been bolstered by a wealth of talented transfers. C-M has historically played a tough schedule and the 2019 version will not be any different. Games against Miami Central, Carol City, Vero Beach, Pahokee, Atlantic and a pre-season game against American Heritage (Plantation) will all be challenges.

There isn't a lot of weakness on this roster, it's a solid well put together roster. The QB situation will work itself out before the powers come calling mid-season. Overall, expect another great season for the Lions.

#3) Clearwater Central Catholic-  The off-season didn't start off with a bang for the Marauders. Players transferred out, coaches left and then they were run off the field in the spring game against Belen Jesuit and Cardinal Gibbons as they broke in a new QB. Since then? The Marauders have emerged as an legitimate contender once again. The schedule is going to be highly competitive in 2019 (the CCC vs Tampa Catholic game needs to be televised!). I think it's safe to say CCC fans should expect another lengthy post thanksgiving playoff run.

#4) Pensacola Catholic-  The Crusaders had a strong outing in 2018 and bring the roster back in 2019. A roster which features a lot of experience, 28 seniors. There's plenty of depth at all positions. While the schedule isn't as competitive as the teams ranked above them, it's still a good schedule and should prepare the Crusaders for the playoffs.

#5) Florida High School-   The Seminoles had a great run in 2018 but were upset by King's Academy. Lead by QB Willie Taggart Jr, the Seminoles should have another terrific season after having a plethora of youth in 2019. The season features traditional rivals and local talent.

Some general thoughts:

-->I'm big on Pensacola Catholic in 2019. I'm not suggesting they'll compete with JaxTCA, but I do think they will be dangerous.  I would love to see FSU School vs Pensacola Catholic. That would be a great north-Florida 3A contest.

--> I think Chaminade and JaxTCA will end up playing each other in the state finals. JaxTCA is better than Chaminade by 2 TD's right now. What changes things is serious injuries.  I note serious injuries because JaxTCA will effectively have 4 weeks off between the end of their regular season and the state championship game. If we're being honest, nobody in the north would pose a threat to even a beat up JaxTCA team. Due to the lack of challenge for that length of time, I expect JaxTCA to reach the state finals healthy, but rusty.

Chaminade has the benefit of having CCC in the state semi finals. CCC is another small school powerhouse and regular fixture in national small private school football polls since 2012. Chaminade has defeated CCC two years in a row, but the Marauders have closed the gap from 2017 to 2018. Chaminade will likely beat them again in 2019 but it won't be easy, thus as long as Chaminade is healthy they'll likely have the edge in the state finals over JaxTCA until JaxTCA "wakes up" from 4 weeks against much lesser competition.

--> Berkeley Prep is a dark horse in the south.  Lakeland Christian and Ocala Trinity Catholic are looking good in the north.  I expect all three teams to have good seasons in 2019. Trinity Catholic should be a joy to watch as they are rebuilding their program toward competing with JaxTCA/FSU School and others in the north.  Berkeley Prep has a strong roster in 2019 that features talented linemen and a talented offense that should score points in 2019.  Lakeland Christian looks to be a force in region 2, but Holy Trinity and MCC are also hanging around.

--> I think 3A will be well represented in state and national polls. JaxTCA and Chaminade-Madonna should both be in the 20 in Florida and CCC will be around 40 with. All three schools should easily make the top 25 national rankings for small schools.

--> The defending state finalist King's Academy will still be a threat, but due to a large graduating class it's hard seeing them continue to have success now that they are in the south of 3A. In addition, they're joined by Calvary Christian (Ft. Lauderdale) and rival Benjamin School who are both looking potent as well.

Maxpreps just released their top 50 small school football programs (Maxpreps generally defines schools with less than 1,000 enrollment as a small school and plays in a smaller classification). 

Jacksonville Trinity comes in at #3
Chaminade Madonna comes in at #5
Madison County comes in at # 24
FSU High comes in at # 28
CCC comes in at # 38

While the poll is top 50, Florida has 5 of the top programs in the top 40.

Looking at states individually

Georgia 13
Florida 5
Cali 4
Texas 4

Not a bad showing for Florida, but clearly Georgia is putting some elbow grease into their small school football teams.

https://t.co/rxFHSXf3ma?amp=1

13 minutes ago, peezy28 said:

Funny you said CCC vs TC needs to be on TV... Sucks that, that ship has sailed and we can no longer get HSFB games on TV in central florida... Thanks a Bunch Spectrum.

I know, it's sad! :-( Boo Spectrum!

CCC seems to be hit or miss on streaming their games and TC doesn't stream at all or at least I don't know of them streaming anything. With the amount of talent on the field when they play that would be an easy selection. Now that they are in separate classes it also stinks the game will only happen once per year.

If Spectrum still broadcast games I imagine they would also be all over the CCC vs Clearwater game. I'm sad to also hear the rumored Lakewood vs Tampa Catholic game didn't happen.