The 25 Best FL HS LB's of the Past 50 Years

OldSchoolLion

They went to the following high schools.  Name who went to each and where they went to college, if you know.  Since we don't like leaving anyone out:), I made the list extra big.

Apopka-Warren Sapp/UM/NCAA All-American/NFL

Astronaut-Wilber Marshall/Florida/NCAA All-American/NFL

Auburndale-Chauncey Davis/FSU/NFL

Boyd Anderson-Martavious Houston/Auburn/CFL

Carol City-Willie Williams/UM

Chaminade-Madonna-Jon Beason/UM/NFL

Columbia-Kendyll Pope/FSU/NFL

Ely-Henri Crockett/FSU/NFL

Jacksonville Forrest-Brandon Hicks/UF

Jacksonville Lee-Leroy Butler/FSU/NFL

Kathleen-Ray Lewis/UM/NCAA All-American/NFL

Lake Brantley-Daryl Bush/FSU/NCAA All-American

Lake Mary-Keith Rivers/USC/PAC All-Conference/NFL

Madison County-Geno Hayes/FSU/NFL

Miami Jackson-David Little/UF/NCAA All-American/NFL

Northwestern-Marvin Jones/FSU/NCAA All-American/NFL

Ocala Forest-Scott Brantley/Florida/NFL

Pahokee-Eric Moore/FSU/NFL

Pensacola Washington-Derrick Brooks/FSU/NCAA All-American/NFL

Pompano Beach-Barry Krauss/Alabama/NFL

Seminole-Serderius Bryant/Ole Miss

Southridge-Lamont Green/FSU

South Miami-Derrick Thomas/Alabama/NFL

Treasure Coast-Jeff Luc/FSU & Cincinnati

Wakulla-Nigel Bradham/FSU/NFL

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

By any chance was your uncle Keith Carter?  He was on the team at that time...stud who ended up at FSU.

No my uncle is Ike Readon. He went to Hampton University in Va. Broke many records there as a DL men. Was drafted in 10 round by KC. Just got inducted into the HU Hall of Fame last year. 

1 hour ago, MuckCityChamp said:

Wow this list does not include Glades Central/UF’s Johnny Rutledge?? 

I believe everyone on the list above was a high school American and/or NCAA All-American and/or Pro Bowler.  I don't believe he meets any of those criteria...not taking anything away from him.  Sorry, tough decisions to make such a list of 25.  

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I believe everyone on the list above was a high school American and/or NCAA All-American and/or Pro Bowler.  I don't believe he meets any of those criteria...not taking anything away from him.  Sorry, tough decisions to make such a list of 25.  

That is not true. Rutledge was High School All-American and All-SEC. Willie Williams did absolutely nothing in college. Actually Rutledge had a better college career then more than half of this list. 

40 minutes ago, MuckCityChamp said:

That is not true. Rutledge was High School All-American and All-SEC. Willie Williams did absolutely nothing in college. Actually Rutledge had a better college career then more than half of this list. 

I create threads like this to have fun...not so much to get into debates over "who should be on the list."  I have no record of Rutledge being a high-school All American, so please share what service granted him the honors...I'm curious.

When I created this list (as well as others of this type), I strongly considered high school performance.  Lamont Green, Willie Williams, etc., did not have great college careers, but they were absolute monsters in high school...more so than some guys who went on to successful pro careers.  There is a fellow on this list who is a multiple time Pro Bowler who was absolutely not as dominating as those two in high school, and I say that using the eye test.  

I also made an effort to put some older players on the list.  And I also made a special effort to try to include guys from all parts of the state.  Considering we have folks from all over the state on the forum, I thought that might be more fun than having 15 or more guys from south FL.